• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Henry Rollins tells Rolling Stone he likes real music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uhyve

I can't wait until I'm old enough to dismiss all current music and just cling to the music of my youth, like all people ever. Must be sad never being able to look forward to new music.
I find it really weird to think about who will be music legends in 40 years time. Who will we think back on like we do with The Beatles and Elvis? I try to stay open minded about modern music, but I don't see many artists that will have that staying power.

Cipherr

I always laugh at this, because most everyone has done it or said something similar at some point.

Music they dont like != "real" music.

Parch

I don't think Rollins' dismissal of generic pop garbage is as bad as a gaming-side GAFfer who once claimed he'd never heard of Queen.

Fucking Queen.
This doesn't surprise me at all. I know a few teens who avoid classic rock like the plague.
I do find it a bit hypocritical that they're so quick to call me "out of touch" because I don't care for a lot of modern music while their level of music ignorance is off the charts.

lenovox1

I agree. Queen is my favorite band.

I hope you're making fun of him.

I find it really weird to think about who will be music legends in 40 years time. Who will we think back on like we do with The Beatles and Elvis? I try to stay open minded about modern music, but I don't see many artists that will have that staying power.

They had more than staying power; those acts defined the genre. Pop music would not be what is today, defined as it is today, without the contributions of those artists. That's the type of thing that will take hindsight to see.

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
He wrote an article about how The SMiLE Sessions is the greatest album of all time, so I can forgive him for this ignorance.

Coconut

Banned
The worst Damaged-era Black Flag song is still better than Daft Cyrus.

Sure tell yourself that. Mean while I can show you a fat list of other shitty black flag songs. Just because you are the one that's screaming into the microphone or banging on you guitar doesn't make it better than something else, if anything it just means someone never told you to stop.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Sure tell yourself that. Mean while I can show you a fat list of other shitty black flag songs. Just because you are the one that's screaming into the microphone or banging on you guitar doesn't make it better than something else, if anything it just means someone never told you to stop.

Well, actually the police did. Are you a cop or a Rolling Stone subscriber?

kick51

Banned

lol as if there's no fan base for black flag nor a legion of musicians influenced by Henry Rollins

I've never heard a Miley Cyrus song, Robin Thicke song, Kelly Clarkson song, etc. but I know all of those names just because... media.

I do like me some Daft Punk though.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Rollins hurting a lot of feelings in this thread.

It sounds like he fairly well justifies his argument in discussing how he follows labels and avoids music primarily manufactured by a producer for another artist. His radio show is generally pretty good and any "ignorance" of modern, non-radio friendly music doesn't come across in his playlist.

pizza dog

Banned
Major punkman expresses interest in punk (Thee Oh Sees, Ty Segal), disdain for pop (Miley Cyrus, Daft Punk)? Go figure.

as someone whose main love is blues rock and prog rock, 2013 has been a very good year for music.

You can't say that it's been a bad year because it's been one of the best years in a long time for a wide variety of music.

Coconut

Banned
lol as if there's no fan base for black flag nor a legion of musicians influenced by Henry Rollins

Exactly people will continue to like shitty things on both sides of the fence, myself included.

Old-Man-Yells-At-Cloud-the-simpsons-7414384-265-199.gif

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
If he likes real music maybe he shouldn't have ruined Black Flag...

Ginn ruined Black Flag. Henry was just along for the ride.

glow

Banned
Ginn ruined Black Flag. Henry was just along for the ride.

Henry said the same thing in his book Get In The Van after Ginn told him he ruined the band. I don't know who to believe, all I know is every album of theirs after Damaged was garbage. Maybe it was Ginn's move to a heavier sound or maybe it was Rollins shitty attitude towards everything and everyone.

Henry said the same thing in his book Get In The Van after Ginn told him he ruined the band. I don't know who to believe, all I know is every album of theirs after Damaged was garbage. Maybe it was Ginn's move to a heavier sound or maybe it was Rollins shitty attitude towards everything and everyone.

Ginn's latest effort for Black Flag

ARePDHm.jpg

I'M FINISHED!

Ginn wrote pretty much all the music and forced any strong contrary opinion out of the band. I don't see how Henry is responsible for anything. Either way, both of their solo work isn't even close to being as good as Black Flag at it's worst i.e. everything post-My War.

Not counting that new Ginn abomination that is disguised as a Black Flag album.

I feel the same way. I couldn't tell you a single Lady Gaga song title, for example. Sometimes I impress myself with how isolated I can be from pop culture these days.

agrajag

Banned
Lol. It's hard to not see the irony in that.

Nothing wrong with liking what you like but the concept of "real music" is dumb to me. All music is art whether you like it or not. Even the most packaged and commercial music was written by someone or a group of someones and in the end is music. If a painting is painted by multiple people does that suddenly not make it "real art"? The Sistine Chapel ceiling was a commissioned piece, produced for the masses. Is that not "real art"? Why is it any different with music? At some point, someone talented had to put it together and create a piece. You may not like that piece like you like others but can't you say that about all art?

What about muzak? Think long and hard before you answer.

I don't know how Henry Rollins fans roll. They might be pushing out their chests, feeling real good right now if their main man partially feigns ignorance about Paula Patton's husband, Miley, and Daft Punk.

Well I've never heard Daft Punk or Miley Cyrus, and have no idea who Robin Thicke is, and also consider John Coltrane the greatest musician of the 20th Century.

But I also don't listen to Henry Rollins, although his stand-up/spoken word stuff can be amusing.

If you like actual music don't you read The Wire instead of Rolling Stone? That's what I read in college, turned me on to all sorts of intersting things, from obscure Ornette Coleman to Do Make Say Think to Royal Trux.

remnant

Banned
Don't blame him. Most modern music is shit and lacks balls

Stupid comment in general.

Even dumber comment when taken in the current context of music right now. A big part of "Modern music" today is about stepping back into the past and putting a new twist on things.

People like Henry Rollins just continue to show their ignorance.

Rell

Henry Rollins acts opinionated and people are surprised?

This guy is an L.A. punk rocker who realized he was actually pretty articulate and got full of himself. The "fuck you" attitude turned into a "here's why I'm better than you" attitude.

He's a music scene guy who grew up in a time when scenes were fetishized. And he was part of a scene that was allowed to feel important because of the impact and legacy it had. Now the world has moved on and he doesn't like it.

Of course he is disappointed with the quality and emotion of modern mainstream music. Saying he's into labels is practically him saying he's listening to music his friends are promoting. And now it's a matter of "things are so bad now because we were different back then and now I'm a relic of a bygone golden age."

But what he doesn't realize is that the people who are now like he was back then aren't the people who care about him.

Mdot

Whatever. Opinions. I kind of pride myself in the variety of music I listen to. Try to give everything a fair shot. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised in something new I hear, sometimes not. No point in boxing yourself in to one genre; you might be missing out. I don't have an issue with what Rollins said since he's not really bashing anything specific too hard, but it also doesn't seem like he's giving stuff he's not normally into a fair shake.

Toparaman

Banned

That would be Henry, I'm guessing. He loves Black Sabbath and Slayer, and he even grew his hair out if I remember correctly.

Personally I like some of the heavy stuff though. But I'm not that into punk or Black Flag.

That would be Henry, I'm guessing. He loves Black Sabbath and Slayer, and he even grew his hair out if I remember correctly.

Personally I like some of the heavy stuff though. But I'm not that into punk or Black Flag.

he was also smoking a lot of weed

playing fast 1-2 minute punk songs probably doesn't go well with weed

i like sludgy black flag too .. but more for the 1982 demos and live.. the production on the studio album is weak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom