• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENSHIN!! Official Tokusatsu Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snaku

Banned
20f9m6d.png

Tokusatsu (特撮) is a Japanese word that literally means "special effects." It is primarily used to refer to live-action Japanese film and television dramas that generally feature superheroes and make considerable use of special effects.

Thought it was time for an all encompassing thread dedicated to tokusatsu news, discussion, and whatever since there wasn't a lot of Super Sentai talk going on in the Super Sentai thread.

Current Shows

Samurai Sentai Shinkenger

For 18 generations, samurai of the Shiba House have suppressed the evil intentions of the Gedoushu, malevolent spirits that enter the world of the living from gaps between buildings and other structures. Now, the youngest head of the Shiba Clan must gather his four vassals in order to battle the Gedoushu as the Shinkengers.

Kamen Rider Decade

The story revolves around the nine previous universes of the Heisei Kamen Riders merging into one, something that would destroy all the worlds. To prevent this, Tsukasa Kadoya transforms into Kamen Rider Decade and is told that to protect his own world he must travel with Natsumi and her grandfather to the other Kamen Riders' Worlds (referred to as an A.R. World or Another Rider's World) and eliminate the anomaly in that world. Along the way, confronting the mysterious Narutaki and the thief Daiki Kaito, they are joined by Yuusuke Onodera of Kuuga's World and Kivala of Kiva's World.

My Picks
Here are ten of my favorite shows/films, in no particular order. If you're new to the genre, you can't go wrong with any of these.

Kamen Rider Kabuto

The story revolves around a man named Souji Tendou. He has trained seven years while waiting for the Kabuto Zecter so that he may properly take up the name of Kamen Rider Kabuto. Making many enemies while at the same time meeting other Riders with mysterious origins of how they got there, Tendou attempts to accomplish his goal at all costs: destroying all Worms otherwise threaten humanity. He meets Arata Kagami, who later becomes Kamen Rider Gatack, the two work together to save humanity from the alien Worms that arrived from a meteorite seven years ago.

Gosei Sentai Dairanger

Over 8,000 years ago, the Daos civilization flourished in Southern China. The Daos Empire consisted of three tribes: the Dai, the Shura (ancestors of today's humanity), and the Gorma (the military tribe), who lived harmoniously. However, one day the Gorma Tribe decided to take over the empire and the world. Thus began the war between the Gorma and Dai tribes. The battle continued for 5,000 years, led by the Gorma Triumvirate. The Mythical Qi Beasts appeared to oppose the Gorma, whose magical powers had increased to the point where they could turn themselves into monsters. Five Dai warriors' Qi powers had increased to the point where they could control the Mythical Qi Beasts. The war ended with the disappearance of both the Dai and Gorma tribes. In 1993, the Gorma Tribe, one of the Daos' two missing branches, revived to take over the world. To counter them, Master Kaku assembled a team of five youths with high levels of Qi. They became the Dairangers of the present time.

Ultraman Nexus

TLT is a covert international anti-monster unit established secretly to combat Space Beasts, mysterious monsters that are out to attack humans in the year 2009. One of the TLT's new recruits, Komon Kazuki, is attacked by one of them prior to reporting for duty. However, he is saved by an unknown being called Ultraman Nexus.

Kamen Rider Blade

Ten thousand years ago, a massive battle known as the Battle Royal was fought by fifty-two Undead, each representing a species fighting for dominance over all others. The winner was the Human Undead, known as Category Two of Hearts, giving dominion of the Earth to humanity. In the present day, archaeologists discover the sealed Undead, and accidentally set them free. Thus, a new Battle Royal begins.

Having developed the Rider System, based on the Joker's ability to copy sealed Undead, the organization BOARD equips two young men, who become Kamen Riders: Kazuma Kenzaki and Sakuya Tachibana fight together as Blade and Garren to protect humans from Undead and seal them. Also fighting Undead is the mysterious Chalice, a Kamen Rider whose purpose is unknown. In addition, a young man struggles to free himself from the control of the sealed Undead powering his own Undead-made Rider System, fighting as Kamen Rider Leangle.

2mx37ts.png

Ultraman The Next

Film prequel to Ultraman Nexus. First Lieutenant Shun'ichi Maki of the Japan Air Self-Defense Force is a prestigious F-15 Eagle jet pilot. A lifelong fan of flying since he was a child, being a pilot is his ultimate dream. Unfortunately, his duties distance himself from his wife, Yoko, who always ends up being neglected, and his son, Tsugumu, who has a congenital blood disease and has a high risk of dying at a young age.

Maki decides to quit the Air Force to devote more time to his family and to spend whatever is left for his son. He takes a part-time job as a commercial tour guide run by a kindly group of people who allow him time to work and to also take care of his family.

However, prior to quitting, Maki and his flight partner Yamashima are alerted to a strange red light streaking towards Japan, and Maki's plane collides with the red light and becomes Ultraman.

Kamen Rider 555

The Smart Brain Corporation, the world's most powerful corporation, is trying to take over the world using Orphnoch, the next stage in humanity's evolution, to covertly kill off the human population. In pursuit of this, they develop three suits of power armor, called Rider Gear (Kaixa, Faiz, and Delta), to find and protect the Orphnoch King, who can fix a defect within Orphnoch DNA which causes their genetic structure to break down, leading to death.

A young loner, Takumi Inui, is unwillingly drawn into the conflict between the Orphnoch and humans and becomes Kamen Rider Faiz to save the life of Mari Sonoda. The Smart Brain Corporation begins targeting him in an attempt to retrieve the Faiz Gear.

34rzsza.png

Ultra Seven

At a time when Earth is about to be threatened by sinister aliens and monsters, Agent 340 from Nebula M-78 (the same planet the original Ultraman came from), who was originally sent to make a map of the Milky Way, decides to stay on Earth, and seeks to protect it.

Disguised as a mysterious human named Dan Moroboshi, he is invited by the Terrestrial Defense Force to join its elite branch, the Ultra Guard, as its sixth member to combat the threats from space. Little do the other 5 members of the Guard know that whenever the situation becomes hopeless, Dan secretly puts on the Ultra Eye glasses, and becomes his true form of Agent 340, christened by the Guard as its honorary 7th member, Ultra Seven!

Mirai Sentai Timeranger

In the 30th century, time travel becomes illegal after a time paradox crisis. The Time Protection Department is established to watch for and stop time crimes. Four new enlistee cadets of the TPD are tricked by Don Dolnero and his gang into letting them time-travel to the year 2000 to commit various crimes. To protect history, the four cadets pursue them. There they encounter a severe problem: the Timeranger program requires five members for the first operation. They thus force a present-day martial artist, Tatsuya Asami, to join them, allowing them to become the Timerangers.

Kamen Rider Agito

A man named Shouichi Tsugami has lost his memories. He doesn't know who he is, where he came from, or how he came upon his peculiar circumstances. Tsugami, seemingly for no reason, transforms into a powerful superhuman, Agito, whenever in the presence of the beings referred by the police as the "Unknown", a race of powerful monsters that have been causing murders around Tokyo, targeting certain people as their prey. In response, the police department unleash their newest weapon: the G3 powersuit, originally developed to fight against the "Unidentified Lifeforms", the enemies of No.4 (Kamen Rider Kuuga). G3 and Agito don't know whether they should join up and defeat the Unknowns, their common enemy, or to combat each other, keeping the mysteries that entwine them separate. Ultimately, even more mysteries unfold, with the appearance of Kamen Rider Gills, who is on a search to uncover why his father committed suicide. These mysteries and others collide, as the true nature of Agito would ultimately determine the fate of humanity.

Jinzo Ningen Kikaida

A classic good-versus-evil tale, the show pitted a guitar-playing, denim-clad young biker named Jiro, played by actor Ban Daisuke, against the evil DARK, a shadowy criminal organization bent on wreaking havoc upon Japan.

Professor Gill (Ando Mitsuo), the mastermind behind all the evil plots, has kidnapped brilliant robotics scientist Dr. Komyoji (Izu Hajime) and forced him to build a battalion of android monsters to serve Gill's malicious ends. The only one who can save Japan from Gill's evil designs is Jiro, himself a Komyoji creation. Jiro, actually the human form of an android, can transform into the mechanized superhero Kikaida.

Tokubetsu

Hell yea, Kamen Rider Kabuto was my shit. I need to check out the older series aside from BLACK but I haven't found another tokusatsu I've loved AS MUCH since. Honorable nod goes to GAROU which was great as well.

Ronin

Tokubetsu said:
I need to check out the older series aside from BLACK but I haven't found another tokusatsu I've loved AS MUCH since.
Kamen Rider V3! Theres even a region 1 boxset.

I seriously wish we had this stuff here when I was a kid.

We got Power Rangers in High School, and yes I watched it (for a time), but I woulda totally eaten that up when I was 8.

vareon

Snaku said:
Official sites for Kamen Rider W (pronounced 'Double') are online.

2r3i0t3.jpg

tv asahi
Toei

USB Flash Disk sales in Japan rises confirmed.

...if they really sell a USB drive with that motif then I'll buy it :lol damn Kamen Rider and their toy-selling propaganda and damn me for keep buying them.

ReiGun

gdt5016 said:
So it's Power Rangers.
Yeah, but as you've learned, probably best not to say so.:lol

Speaking of Power Rangers, no RPM love in the current section? I know it's American, so it may not technically be Tokusatsu, but it's the last season and we talked about it in the Super Sentai thread. It's also pretty good.

powerrangersrpm.png

rosemciver_com-powerrangers-rpm-ep5-209.jpg

There's also the new Kamen Rider Ryuki adaptation, Dragon Knight, and Tomica Heroes Rescue Fire. (I haven't really watch either of them, but it wouldn't hurt to add them.)

KamenRiderDragonKnight.jpg

1231927780450bw6.jpg

Link1110

I was watching Decade episode 22 today (DiEnd's world is pretty fun,
niceness police
next week should be huge
DiEnd facing his brother, evil Yuusuke and I think I saw Natsumi being injected in the clips,
) and realized what an awesome preview it would be if Decade visited W's world to some degree. Maybe that can even be a once a season thing from now on if they don't do that this season.

Gekisou Sentai Carranger
An evil group named Space Berserker Force Bouzoku (it's a pun, Uchuu BOUsou ZOKU) wants to blow up the earth, so a space magician comes to earth and makes five random people working at an auto garage into warriors who are the only ones that can save the world. They're a bunch of idiots. The show is basically a parody of Super Sentai, and its hilarious. So far, my favorite character is the villainess who can't wait for Earth to blow up so she can see the pretty fireworks.

Chikyuu Sentai Fiveman

The scientist Dr. Hoshikawa is working on ways to bring life to barren planets. Just when his labors seem to be bearing fruit, the planet he is on is attacked by the Galactic Empire Zone. His five children escape the planet safely, thanks to their robot, Arthur, but Dr. Hoshikawa and his wife do not manage to get away from the planet.
Twenty years later, the children have grown up, and are now elementary school teachers when Zone comes to destroy Earth. The children use their father's inventions to fight against Zone and save Earth.
ReiGun said:
Speaking of Power Rangers, no RPM love in the current section? I know it's American, so it may not technically be Tokusatsu, but it's the last season
I heard rumors that they were coming back for one more season. Is Shinkenger just that unadaptable?

Ronin

RPM and Dragon Knight are pretty damn awesome. Just a bummer that we're stuck with DK reruns for a bit. And if RPM is the last season of PR, at least its going out on a good note it seems.

Oh and Carranger has the best theme song ever.

ReiGun

Link1110 said:
I heard rumors that they were coming back for one more season. Is Shinkenger just that unadaptable?

I'm sure the toy line will be continuing. From what I understand, RPM toys include a survey asking kids if they like samurai and if they know what kanji is. As for the show, things look bad.

Suppose I'll contribute and add descriptions of the three shows I just brought up. :p

POWER_RANGER_RPM

Power Rangers RPM

An adaptation of Engine Sentai Go-Onger.
Three years ago, a sentient computer virus named Venjix was unleashed on the world. In a year, it infected and gained control over the world's power, communication, and defense systems. Venjix built armies of robotic soliders and edradicated most of humanity. In a last stand, the miltary built Corinth, a shielded city within a dome meant as a safe haven.
One year following the Battle for Corinth, a mysterious man with no memory of his past and Generation 7 Venjix technology within his body arrives in Corinth with the help of a mischievous fellow named Ziggy. After helping stop an assault on Corinth by Venjix's army, the man, who prefers to be called Dillon, is chosen by the reclusive Doctor K to join Project Ranger: a task force meant to defend the city. Now Dillon must uncover the secrets of his past and help Scott (Ranger Red), Flynn(Ranger Blue), and Summer (Ranger Yellow) defend the last city on Earth as Ranger Operator Series Black.

KamenRiderDragonKnight.jpg

Kamen Rider Dragon Knight

An adaptation of Kamen Rider Ryuki
While searching for his missing father, Kit Taylor finds an Advent Deck - a special card deck that allows the carrier to transform into a Kamen Rider and utilize unique weapons and powers - and uses it to become Kamen Rider Dragon Knight. He meets with Len, who serves as Kamen Rider Wing Knight. The two butt heads at first, but later join forces after Kit learns that the wicked General Xaviax has imprisoned his father and is using him and the other humans that his monsters abduct to gain power and rebuild his homeworld.
In addition to training Kit to fight like a Rider, Len tells Kit all about the twelve Riders who banded together as the protectors of Ventara - a world opposite to our own - to take Xaviax down. However, due to the traitorous actions of the original Dragon Knight, General Xaviax destroyed most of the Riders via a process called Venting - which traps defeated Riders in the "Advent Void" between dimensions forever - and stole their Advent Decks.
Now, Xaviax has also begun using his shapeshifiting abilities to coerce humans into joining him, giving each one an Advent Deck and sending them to eliminate Kit and Len.

rescuefiretitlefv5.jpg

Tomica Hero Rescue Fire

A sequel to Tomica Hero Rescue Force, Rescue Fire tells of another branch of the United Fire-Defense Agency that helps save people from Super-Fire created by demons bent on making people suffer. This series marks the beginning a program franchise dubbed the Tomica Hero Series.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
ReiGun said:
I'm sure the toy line will be continuing. From what I understand, RPM toys include a survey asking kids if they like samurai and if they know what kanji is. As for the show, things look bad.
hasnt that rumor been debunked? i thought bandai said they plan on continuing the series.

ReiGun

Parallax said:
hasnt that rumor been debunked? i thought bandai said they plan on continuing the series.
To be honest, all I've heard about is them continuing to toy line. I hope they adapt Shinkenger though. That seems like it would be really interesting.

Wow, Power Rangers RPM looks interesting, though the zord designs are kind of crappy.
ReiGun said:
To be honest, all I've heard about is them continuing to toy line. I hope they adapt Shinkenger though. That seems like it would be really interesting.
What's that?
wikipedia said:
For 18 generations, samurai of the Shiba House (志葉家 Shiba Ke?) have suppressed the evil intentions of the Gedoushu, malevolent spirits that enter the world of the living from gaps between buildings and other structures. Now, the youngest head of the Shiba Clan must gather his four vassals (家臣 kashin?) in order to battle the Gedoushu as the Shinkengers.
:lol What? I kind of hope they bring it over just for the silliness of it all.

vareon

ninj4junpei said:
Wow, Power Rangers RPM looks interesting, though the zord designs are kind of crappy.

What's that?

Not really that silly in the show though. They simply appear from the gaps instead of dropping from the sky or just appearing out of nowhere.

ReiGun

ninj4junpei said:

What's that?

Yeah, for as serious as RPM is, it had to adapt one of the silliest Super Sentai seasons. One of the contributors to that silliness was the fact that the mecha were living beings called Engines. Hence the, as Ziggy calls them in RPM, "big googly anime eyes" on the zords. Though, RPM has gotten a reputation for not doing much with the Zords. Hell, in episode 9, the zord fight barely lasted 3 min. I'm talking everything from the monster growing, the rangers morphing, calling the zords, forming the two megazord configurations, and the zords using their finishers all happening in a flash. And thankfully, the zords dont talk like they did in Go-Onger.

As for Shinkenger, most of the silliness is regulated to 3 characters: Ryuunosuke (blue), Kotaha (yellow), and Genta (gold). The monsters are usually pretty serious, except maybe for that one that used insults to hurt people. And the one that attached big red asexual babies to the boy rangers. :lol

Link1110

ReiGun said:
And thankfully, the zords dont talk like they did in Go-Onger.
Has Power Rangers ever done talking Zords, even when they talked in Sentai? I know for a fact the Zyuranger Zords were alive and talked (or was that just Zaijuujin/Megazord?) but they were just robots in Power Rangers. How about the other seasons?

Oh, and Dekamaster is the best Sixth Ranger ever.

ReiGun

Link1110 said:
Has Power Rangers ever done talking Zords, even when they talked in Sentai? I know for a fact the Zyuranger Zords were alive and talked (or was that just Zaijuujin/Megazord?) but they were just robots in Power Rangers. How about the other seasons?
Unless you count when the Mystic Force rangers turned into the Mystic Titans (aka the Majin), nope. The Zords in PR have never said a word.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Thought it said "Tonkatsu"

Best location on earth is the Tonkatsu place at the top of Takashimaya dept store in Shinjuku. 14th floor. Get extra thick pork, extra cabbage. Profit.

Apharmd

huh. didn't know so many people on gaf liked tokusatsu

super nice work in creating the topic, and you have good taste in picking the next and ultraman nexus. those two are fucking great! in fact the next is probably the only tokusatsu movie that i took seriously :x

kamen rider...i could get into an insane manchild-esque tirade about how the franchise is driving itself into the ground, but it's more fun to talk about W's concepts that i'm surprised people haven't talked about here as well.

- Two people transform to become W. Phillip, a smart guy who pretends he's kind of dull in order to disguise how sharp and excellent at information-finding he actually is & Shotaro, a terrible detective. (If you saw the live video, you know how they look like.)

- The main villain is an evil organization who turns people into USB drives.

- Apparently, either side of W can transform into individual colors, unlocking massive toy sale potentials for Bandai.

- Featuring a super sentai director and a writer new to tokusatsu, who is credited with md geist and beat the vandel buster ( did i spell that right?)

i dunno, after the initial kneejerk reaction i had against W's suit, it's been growing on me. and after hibiki, ryuki and den-o i'm willing to look at concepts that are completely fucking dumb on paper.

Apharmd

gdt5016 said:
So it's Power Rangers.

now, i have to argue that if one is getting into this stuff, they're basically dealing with toy commercials and men in tights beating up other men in rubber suits. granted, i prefer the toy commercials that try to have more drama, more depth and are taken more seriously by their own creative staff, but this doesn't change the fact that it's a toy commercial like power rangers, tdk or iron man

so yeah, it's power rangers

DieH@rd

Banned
The best Tokusatsu show that was ever made!

15n3gag.gif

GARO
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GARO

Why is the best? Because it was aimed for adult audiences. Serious story, characters, dark setting, and no crazy robots that combine together. One wieldrer of ancient power of light versus dark horde of demons.

This definitely isn't a typical Power Rangers show. Give it a chance!

Apharmd

Garo is good, but the storyline is so simple, straightforward and so self-absorbed it hurts.

But hey, if I was watching for the storyline, I wouldn't be looking at bugmen and gold-plated wolves. Garo's special effects, monster designs and fight choreography are quite frankly, amazing. I'm a bit displeased that apparently it hasn't spawned more high-budget tokusatsu.

edit : manchild nerd rant - Also, you wanna know what dark is? Dark is Ultraman Nexus. Dark is Himeya Jun trying to come to terms with believing that he brought about a little girl's death while trying to report on a tiny little war in southeast Asia that no one gave a shit about.

Link1110

ReiGun said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtSYrCJO_rk

Teaser for the upcoming Gatchaman movie from Imagi, the same dudes that did TMNT. Looks good to me, and TMNT was a pretty cool movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFHptacMEOE

This is interesting. I didnt know Kabuto was being aired dubbed in the Philippines. Has anyone seen it?
I need to get around to watching Gatchaman. Jetman is supposed to be based on that, and that was great
(except for the way the romance subplot resolved)
Didn't know they were making a new movie.

Shinkenger and Decade were AWESOME this week. Shinkenger had a great Crowning Moment of Awesome when
ShinkenGold forced the monster to come back from the Sanzu River and his origami just slammed it to the ground as soon as it came out.

And on Decade, DiEnd vs.
his brother was great, and his brother not being brainwashed was a cool twist.

Next week, crossover.

Slayven

Apharmd said:
huh. didn't know so many people on gaf liked tokusatsu

super nice work in creating the topic, and you have good taste in picking the next and ultraman nexus. those two are fucking great! in fact the next is probably the only tokusatsu movie that i took seriously :x

kamen rider...i could get into an insane manchild-esque tirade about how the franchise is driving itself into the ground, but it's more fun to talk about W's concepts that i'm surprised people haven't talked about here as well.

- Two people transform to become W. Phillip, a smart guy who pretends he's kind of dull in order to disguise how sharp and excellent at information-finding he actually is & Shotaro, a terrible detective. (If you saw the live video, you know how they look like.)

- The main villain is an evil organization who turns people into USB drives.

- Apparently, either side of W can transform into individual colors, unlocking massive toy sale potentials for Bandai.

- Featuring a super sentai director and a writer new to tokusatsu, who is credited with md geist and beat the vandel buster ( did i spell that right?)

i dunno, after the initial kneejerk reaction i had against W's suit, it's been growing on me. and after hibiki, ryuki and den-o i'm willing to look at concepts that are completely fucking dumb on paper.
Glad to hear they can go solo. I was scared they would use the old " we are separated and can't fight when we need too." plot hook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom