• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here are 4 games that are coming to your $350-$17,000 Apple Watch

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
hatchiapplewatch.jpg

Don't neglect Yo Giga Pet

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I'm kinda excited for the incoming shitstorm once people start reporting the actual real-world battery life on this watch. People will be surprised how low it is compared to the competition.

For now I am stuck between my Pebble and my Fitbit Charge HR as far as digital watches go. My Hamilton swiss still gets the spot for anything requiring more than business casual and my Citizen for anytime I will be away from a charger for long periods(camping, etc).

KoopaTheCasual

Talk into your watch like an old crazy person or mysterious X-Files G-Man for the low, low price of $17,000.
Pretty much.

This is by far the biggest waste of money, I've seen in a while. Don't put that $17k towards that nice new car, put it into the first model of an iterated watch design that will be useless in a year!

There are some of each. These games can run without your phone.
No they can't, no games can run without your phone unless Apple writes them or works directly with the developer. The way the current Apple Watch SDK works, everything is run on the phone, and the phone tells the watch what to display. Also, input available to third party apps is only through the use of onscreen buttons that only detect being tapped, not held down - third party apps can't even detect the digital crown being turned, and can't tell where on the screen was touched unless there's a button there. The SDK also doesn't allow you to choose where to draw something on the screen, so don't expect sprites moving around the screen, just a grid of buttons with their art changing (unless the game redraws the entire screen as one big graphic every frame).

Really, the current SDK is designed around all apps being menus. A native watch SDK is supposedly coming sometime later this year.

the 18 hours battery life is for real?
Not if you want to play these games.
Actually, that 18 hours includes 45 minutes per day of app usage. These don't seem like 45-minute games :)

Make it like the Pokemon Pikachu or the Pokewalker: track steps, play games, train your Pokemon, then wirelessly upload to the 3DS game.

Make one version with Pokemon and one styled after Wii Fit with Wii Fit Trainer. Or just let me switch between different themes. I honestly think it wouldn't be a bad idea if the executed and marketed it well (which is the problematic part)

pswii60

I assume with the backlit screen the only way to actually see the time on your watch is by 'waking it up' like smartphones. Pebble has got it right with the e-ink design.

I don't want to play games on my watch. Hell, in the 5 years I've owned iPhones I've probably played games on it only a dozen of times.

These games don't look like they're even running at 720p, let alone 1080. Jaggies, no AF, simplistic models, crap AI. No thx. Let me know when the firmware is updated to release more power to devs and when the online infrastructure is decent.

JCX

As soon as I got an Android watch I thought a digital pet would be great for it. Interested to see what he first hit watch game will be.

Hey, what are you doing?

I'm texting my girlfriend on my watch.

Why don't you just use your phone?

Uh, duh, because why use my phone whenever it's less than a foot away from this tiny thing on my wrist that is less efficient as a point of contact and also makes me look like I'm 007?

Okay. Time to die.

CTLance

.....wait, a 1vs1 multiplayer game? Why that of all games, on a watch you wear on your wrist?

The text of the questions of the minute quiz might be getting a bit too small to read easily, I think, but I guess it could work.

Other than that, no problem. I still don't feel the need for a cell phone tethered smart watch, but if I had one, then I'd probably get some of these games and enjoy them. Could be a neat time waster for when you're too lazy to pull out your phone.

magnumpy

these are like those huge watches that weigh, well a lot more than a regular watch. those things are so huge and impractical. I personally wouldn't be caught dead wearing one of these. to add insult to injury, the games available don't even look interesting. I'd rather play tic-tac-toe.

I really hope that the Apple Watch is a bomba.

Of course it won't. It's Apple, they don't do bombas.

I'm betting this is going to be an iPhone gen 1 sort of thing. There's potential there, but it won't see true success until the 2nd generation.

To the OP. I'm amazed there were any games at all. The tomagachi idea is pretty funny though.

I'll continue wearing my analog wrist watch, but thanks for the sucker lure, Apple.

I can barely think of a justification for wearing an analog watch, much less an expensive one.

Edit: All this Apple hate... Should have expected it. There's an irony in the mindless hate for the mindless Apple love.

Nintendo should finally go 3rd party for this

Call it Game & Watch

Exactly what I was thinking, it is the only way for Nintendo to save itself and, by extension, rule the world.

I truly don't understand the appeal of this watch.

Same.

Apple makes it.

Oh right, still doesn't mean I understand it though.

Pfft I can already play Zelda on my wrist

il_fullxfull.301730102.jpg

Heh, used to have one of those. I wore it to school and was very cool for doing so, never played it during class or anything since I didn't want to risk it being taken away. The principle caught me playing it one day while waiting for the buses to arrive for a field trip and confiscated it, I could have it back at the end of the day. Then the end of the week, then the end of the 6 weeks, then didn't remember it. I know he gave it to his son.

tldr, Nintendo you could own the world if you develop for this.

Einhander

I can barely think of a justification for wearing an analog watch, much less an expensive one.

Then you should think about it for awhile longer.

- I no longer use my smartphone and I hated taking out my phone to find out the time each time.
- I'm wearing a cheap, yet stylish Timex watch.

Edit:

Also, to add to this, the battery life lasts for years and you won't have to charge it every day.

Top Bottom