• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT3| Chromiehounds

Ashtrax

I love the moment a character finally clicks with the right selection of talents.

Been playing as Muradin, but hadn't really clicked until recently, as he is great with the heavy melee comps happening at the moment. Piercing Stun, Imposing Presence and Healing double thunderclap absolutely throws the other team in disarray during engagements.

Are there any Aussie players with GAF? Looking for some peeps to play with, but haven't had much luck so far.

MightyKAC

I love the moment a character finally clicks with the right selection of talents.

Been playing as Muradin, but hadn't really clicked until recently, as he is great with the heavy melee comps happening at the moment. Piercing Stun, Imposing Presence and Healing double thunderclap absolutely throws the other team in disarray during engagements.

Are there any Aussie players with GAF? Looking for some peeps to play with, but haven't had much luck so far.

Not an Aus but I do play from Japan which I think is only an hour or so off from your time zone.

IGN: MightyKAC

If you don't mind playing with a total noob you can shoot me a FR anytime.

scoobs

mewnfarez is the saltiest moba player i have ever seen. Just complains about his teammates all game even when hes fucking up and starts banning anyone in chat making fun of his dumb ass. God its enjoyable.

Risible

Anyone want to Friend up and play 5 quick Versus AI games right now so that I can get the Nexus Challenge completed? I haven't played in forever, and now none of my friends play HotS anymore :(.

edit:

anyone in EU up for 5 matches for the skins ? I never played this game... add me Sven#2689

Sent you a FR from Chimp.

Milly79

Reasons to pick the best hero in the game, Chromie:

Old gnome lady that's probably older than Chu's landlady? Check.
Dragon? Check.
Long range artillery aka passive lyfe? Check.
Vision and mana regen? Check.
A way to augment her weakness (auto attacks)? Check.
Two annoying ass ults? Check.
Even longer range? Check.
Trolly ass reduced hearthstone cast? Check.
Ice block? Check.
AP increase via talents? Check.
Even more annoying ults? Check.
A clone of yourself? Check.
Even more trolly ass status? Check.

Seriously, everyone is doing themselves a disservice by not playing this hero. What's not to love about this cute little gnome?

chromie1.jpg

tumblr_oeugzkyivo1tyibvno1_500.png

tumblr_o77iuiA4hY1qkpz2go1_r1_400.gif

Alur

We went 1-6 last night. Then, I played a Cassia game afterward and we led all game and threw at 20. 1-7.

y blizzardo

shanafan

Apologies if this is such a basic question, but with the addition of Overwatch skins to unlock in HOTS, could anyone do them?

And by anyone I mean me, someone who has never played HOTS. I just want the skins - and may like the game. But, my main goal are the skins.

We went 1-6 last night. Then, I played a Cassia game afterward and we led all game and threw at 20. 1-7.

y blizzardo
I think this is my main issue with HotS aside from the lack of depth. Most of my early and mid game decisions feel completely irrelevant to the outcome of the game. Shared XP means ganked heroes aren't punished, and there isn't a significant XP boost for killing a hero, either. I will run around and hunt down a dozen people in the early game and there might be a small level difference between our teams. Then, once we are all in the late game, you have this brief period where you are level 20 before them and it matters.

Then they catch up and it's like all of that success does not matter - you have one major team fight where everyone is roughly on the same page, and that's GG.

Maledict

I think this is my main issue with HotS aside from the lack of depth. Most of my early and mid game decisions feel completely irrelevant to the outcome of the game. Shared XP means ganked heroes aren't punished, and there isn't a significant XP boost for killing a hero, either. I will run around and hunt down a dozen people in the early game and there might be a small level difference between our teams. Then, once we are all in the late game, you have this brief period where you are level 20 before them and it matters.

Then they catch up and it's like all of that success does not matter - you have one major team fight where everyone is roughly on the same page, and that's GG.

That's because of your skill level and your team level to be fair (no offense). I do the same mistakes! You should be able to run with an early lead all the way to the end. Come backs happen because one team makes a mistake, or because of a draft imbalance (early game heroes versus late game heroes).

A big mistake players make is to fight when there's no need, where they throw away a lead. For example, fighting when you are 15 and they are 13 is a good example - that's a mistake, avoid the fights, get to 16 and a tier advantage, and then hunt them down.

HotS does have more potential for come back than other MOBAs, but an early game lead should lead to a strong end game position unless you throw it.

Alur

I disagree with you on the bolded. That was the biggest reason for our losses last night. A teammate or two per game just fed like crazy. We had an 11 death Jaina in like a 14 minute game, and another dude with 9 deaths, and so on and so forth. It just snowballed out of control because we lost the experience from their death and then when the objective spawned we couldn't respond and/or more teammates went in shorthanded and fed, furthering the enemy lead.

I do agree that the late game catch up does feel a bit ridiculous at times. We had a fight on a Cursed Hollow game last night where we had level 16 and they were level 12. A teammate overextended and died at their keep and made it 16-13, and we were so resource starved plus they had good chase (including Genji) that they were able to kill 3 more of us with respawns on the way out. By the time that engage was done we were still 16 and they were halfway through level 15 from those 4 kills. Felt bad man.

As Maledict said, with that huge advantage your team should be able to push it all the way home. Unfortunately, people often just get too confident or cocky and then it all goes pear shaped. Bad engages in fights you have to take, or players taking fights or being bloodthirsty when they don't have to are often the catalysts for those comebacks. If you really look at your match history, assuming you've played a while at any rate, you'll probably find way more games where your team or the other team held the lead throughout than ones where there was a huge swing. You don't really remember those with HOTS, though, nor do you really remember the good games...it's just the bad ones that stick out fresh. I dunno if that's an issue with HOTS or with MOBAs in general.

kirblar

OW and HOTS both have "last 2 mins of Basketball game" setups w their play patterns on purpose.

Apathy

Seriously, everyone is doing themselves a disservice by not playing this hero. What's not to love about this cute little gnome?

That's why. If chromie had gone with the much better high elf/blood elf avatar then shed be instant pick, instead she went with a gnome and disappointed every other dragon out there.

Yea last night my team managed to throw away a 28-8 or 32-8 on towers of doom. That was painful. Could not believe it haha. two people just started being on their own instead of grouping and getting picked constantly. That allowed the other team to catch up and their line up was way better late game :\

scoobs

Old gnome lady that's probably older than Chu's landlady? Check.
Dragon? Check.
Long range artillery aka passive lyfe? Check.
Vision and mana regen? Check.
A way to augment her weakness (auto attacks)? Check.
Two annoying ass ults? Check.
Even longer range? Check.
Trolly ass reduced hearthstone cast? Check.
Ice block? Check.
AP increase via talents? Check.
Even more annoying ults? Check.
A clone of yourself? Check.
Even more trolly ass status? Check.

chromie1.jpg

tumblr_oeugzkyivo1tyibvno1_500.png

tumblr_o77iuiA4hY1qkpz2go1_r1_400.gif

giphy.gif

Alur

Yea last night my team managed to throw away a 28-8 or 32-8 on towers of doom. That was painful. Could not believe it haha. two people just started being on their own instead of grouping and getting picked constantly. That allowed the other team to catch up and their line up was way better late game :\

All told we lost a 24-8 Towers of Doom game, a 16-12 lead on Cursed Hollow, and another game on Cursed Hollow where we had a keep and all forts down and they had just one fort of ours down. The others we just got a mudhole stomped in our asses Stone Cold Steve Austin style. 2.0 same as 1.0.

scoobs

I find the complaints about comeback mechanics interesting.. would you prefer having no chance to come back once you are down in the first 5 minutes of a game? Don't throw and you won't lose your lead, simple as that really. Game would be boring if it was over in the first 5-10 minutes.

Alur

Only one dude was complaining about comebacks that I saw breh. I did say they were a bit ridiculous and that's not a stretch. 3 kills giving you 3 levels basically is pretty crazy. The rest was more just commiseration about how streaky the game is in general.

brian!

Main reason teams lose off of an early lead (besides mistakes ofc) is that they are unwilling to push their advantage outside of map objectives. Since they are conditioned this way, and since the team that is behind receives an exp bonus, it's not rare at all that early leads become meaningless; like any moba the pressure is on the team that is ahead to exploit their advantage otherwise the team that is behind will naturally catch up at some point.

scoobs

Only one dude was complaining about comebacks that I saw breh. I did say they were a bit ridiculous and that's not a stretch. 3 kills giving you 3 levels basically is pretty crazy. The rest was more just commiseration about how streaky the game is in general.

That would be crazy if it were true. Seems like an exaggeration to me.

Main reason teams lose off of an early lead (besides mistakes ofc) is that they are unwilling to push their advantage outside of map objectives. .

QFT. Often people do not want to push or want to play safe waiting for the objectives to pop up, meanwhile they could have easily pushed a fort or two and solidifed the lead.

This and i see a vast majority of people that don't know when to close the game. Sometimes it's like people want the other team to comeback.

Celegus

Saved a 5% core last night as Cho'Gall while the other team still had every structure up (on Cursed Hollow). Our lovely teammates already said gg and didn't even bother trying to help save the core and one of them left so we had an Artanis bot (who was way better than the actual person). Took a teamfight and curse, pushed to a keep... managed to hang in long enough to get a second curse and finally miraculously win. Insane game, never give up kids!

All told we lost a 24-8 Towers of Doom game, a 16-12 lead on Cursed Hollow, and another game on Cursed Hollow where we had a keep and all forts down and they had just one fort of ours down. The others we just got a mudhole stomped in our asses Stone Cold Steve Austin style. 2.0 same as 1.0.

That sounds like a rough night!!

I find the complaints about comeback mechanics interesting.. would you prefer having no chance to come back once you are down in the first 5 minutes of a game? Don't throw and you won't lose your lead, simple as that really. Game would be boring if it was over in the first 5-10 minutes.

Nah, I am glad the potential for comebacks exist. Feels amazing when you're on the team that pulls it off haha

Saved a 5% core last night as Cho'Gall while the other team still had every structure up (on Cursed Hollow). Our lovely teammates already said gg and didn't even bother trying to help save the core and one of them left so we had an Artanis bot (who was way better than the actual person). Took a teamfight and curse, pushed to a keep... managed to hang in long enough to get a second curse and finally miraculously win. Insane game, never give up kids!

Exactly like that, that is amazing haha. Stuff like that is why I am glad the potential for comebacks is in the game!

Alur

That would be crazy if it were true. Seems like an exaggeration to me.

I went back and watched it. It was only slightly exaggerated.

We were up 16-12 in levels. We took boss top, then took another boss bot. At that time kills were 24-3. They had just soaked into level 13 when we capped boss and we were close to level 17. We pinged their side bruisers, our Jaina went to bottom fort. We got the bruisers but they roamed as a team and killed Jaina. That gave them more than half a level of experience. We engaged on them 4v5 with our nearly four level lead, killed two of them, but they killed 3 more of us trying to retreat. Each kill gave them rough half a level or more, and so now they were about halfway through level 15.

So I guess it was nearly 3 levels on 4 kills, not three, since they did just nudge past 13 right before the fight. Still, that's a lot of goddamn experience from winning one teamfight. One would assume if you were losing 24-3 on kills you'd be down like 8 levels, but as we all know the game kind of rubberbands you a bit in the three level lead range. That's part of the comeback mechanics itself. The enemy have to continue royally fucking up to get past 3 and stay there because of how much experience you get per kill when down that much.

Apathy

Been playing leoric, really having some fun with him. I'm surprised (maybe I blind) but they really should have skeletal horses in the game (like the ones that the forsaken in wow have) or have like Invincible, arthas' mount

Apathy

Is arthas's horse really called invincible

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Invincible

a choice passage,

The horse had a white coat, different from the usual Balnir stock, which normally had gray coats. Arthas had considered naming the horse "Snowfall" or "Starlight", but in the informal tradition of Lordaeron knights and nobles naming their steeds after a quality (Uther's was "Steadfast", King Terenas' "Courageous"), he named the colt "Invincible".[1]

Apathy

there are a lot of mounts that if put into hots people would go nuts buying. Like finish putting in all the race mounts from WoW, put in Mimiron's head and Al'ar.

Alur

With the new tint/skin system and the two new mounts, I stumbled upon some gems:

4gbVNnh.jpg

Genji's carbon fiber base skin on the Celestial Steed

SI5shna.jpg

Varian's red and gold master skin on the Gold Club World Cup Nexus Charger

sogood.gif

What good ones you guys got? The ability to automatically have any tint makes being a HOTS fashionista way easier. Also shoutout to whoever posted the Star Queen Li-Ming + Celestial Horse, that one was awesome.

Celegus

Tyrael's charger is probably the best legendary I've got so far. Soooo cool and matches a lot of heroes really well. That new Auriel is amazing too.

Mupod

wow, I was amazed at how easy it was to pick up Lucio. I didn't have time to read any of his skills, I just played him like I do in Overwatch. And won us the match.

Zarya is my best character in Overwatch but I haven't had much luck with her in HOTS. It feels like my Zarya skills translate better to Tassadar.

Top Bottom