• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hexcells is awesome and if you like logic puzzles you should play it

Nabs

6-5 in Hexcell Infinite is insane. It took me a long time to get a perfect score at it.

I cleared most of the board, but now I'm dealing with the middle part. I took a screenshot and brought it into GIMP so I could mark stuff off. It's real in the field.

Falk

that puzzling face
Impulse bought.

I constantly speedrunned minesweeper back in the day (hey, college was boring) and the fact that left click 'flags' and right click 'steps' (the opposite of minesweeper) is throwing me off because of muscle memory. This really should be toggleable. :(

edit: I'm a retard, pre-launch options. Hooray!

Really great game, if you're looking for other logic games on Steam I'd recommend Everyday Genius: SquareLogic

I very much agree and would think there'd be a substantial overlap in those who like Hexcells and those who would enjoy SquareLogic (I will admit to have found the name off-putting). For anybody undecided on some of the puzzle variations, here is one of the first puzzles that I found to be particularly interesting, and, despite having bought it primarily for Killer Sudoku-like puzzles, really encouraged me to play much further into every type of puzzle present in the game.

WXOFCp7.jpg

The "greater than" or "less than" signs indicate whether the number in the box beside/above/below it are greater than or less than the box in that particular cell, and you can use the numbers one to five only once in each row and once in each column (a bit different to the Killer Sudoku I'm familiar with, where the cells also must not feature repetition). The puzzle isn't particularly difficult with some familiarity to these sort of logic puzzles (it can be very intimidating though) but it was a very unique presentation (compared to what I'm familiar with) and that made it rather exciting. The 'double-sided' puzzles also were a very interesting addition early-on, but I'm somewhat worried that these may make the game appear to be too challenging too quickly and put off some people.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sounds good, I typically really enjoy logic-based puzzle games. Bought the first one!

Something a bit funny is that the Bundle with 1 & 2 costs more than buying them separately. That's only because the first is on sale while the bundle isn't, of course, but yeah.

EDIT: Started playing, and here's something I don't get: How are single "island" hexagons part of the "pattern"? I don't feel like that's part of the game's rules as explained to me.

Falk

that puzzling face
If there's one little orange tile leftover and it says "Remaining 1" then it has to be part of the pattern. Top right corner.

Crub

Made two mistakes in the middle section at the end of 6-5. Feels baaad! I have perfected all the other levels and played for a total of 7 hours. Actually took me longer to beat Plus.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If there's one little orange tile leftover and it says "Remaining 1" then it has to be part of the pattern. Top right corner.

Ah, yes, of course. Didn't quite pay attention to that.

EDIT: Hmm, you can totally cheat in this game. When you hover over a hexagon it jiggles a bit, and you can sometimes catch a glimpse of the color underneath. Bit of a flaw! I'll have to force myself not to do this.

Well I played a small amount of the first game and I can see the appeal for sure. It's very annoying that it counts mistakes instead of just letting you make mistakes and forcing you to go back and find out where you made the mistake.

I had to change the controls as well, since they're backwards to how I'd play Minesweeper. Right click is flag! I still can't quite get used to it for some reason, I'm sure it'll come in time, it's why the mistake thing is annoying me so much right now. I'm not actually making mistakes in the puzzles, I'm just constantly pressing the wrong button.

Nzyme32

I can't bring myself to go for the last achievement right now. Not sure if it is because I'm stupid or something, but the last levels of Hexcells Infinite were frustratingly difficult. So much so, that for the first time playing these games, I don't think the lvls 6-3, 6-4 & 6-5 were actually fun. The difficulty was just a bit too much for me and involved too much mental gymnastics. Perhaps that's the way it's meant to be or maybe it is that I just missed something obvious in them. At least the last lvl 6-6 felt fun again

yrq74Ex.png

Bisonian

Thanks for pointing out there's a third game of these now available. I loved Hexcells and Plus, some really great logic puzzles in there. There aren't enough of these types of game on Steam, really.

jb1234

I bought it a few days ago because it was dirt cheap, played it today and am now totally addicted. Crap!

Porcupine

I can't bring myself to go for the last achievement right now. Not sure if it is because I'm stupid or something, but the last levels of Hexcells Infinite were frustratingly difficult. So much so, that for the first time playing these games, I don't think the lvls 6-3, 6-4 & 6-5 were actually fun. The difficulty was just a bit too much for me and involved too much mental gymnastics. Perhaps that's the way it's meant to be or maybe it is that I just missed something obvious in them. At least the last lvl 6-6 felt fun again

yrq74Ex.png

6-5 was a little hard, because it was just too big and with a little mistake you had to do everything again, but the rest was ok for me.

pj

Banned
Was going to make a thread about this but looks like I don't have to

Great series of games. Infinite seems harder so far than the other two, which I like, and the level generator will be a great time killer.

BTW the game runs pretty good on my cheap windows 8.1 x86 tablet

I haven't returned to hexcells infinite yet to finish up the last three puzzles.

I have been playing that everyday genius game people recommended earlier though. That's fun even though I'm skipping 99% of the puzzles and just doing the challenge ones at the end of the levels.

epmode

Some lovely people created a Hexcells Infinite puzzle editor: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...r-will-feed-your-hexual-appetite/#more-237259

It looks like the developer liked the idea. Infinite was just patched today: http://steamcommunity.com/games/304410/announcements/detail/233383138547016335

Hexcells Infinite now supports custom levels created using the sixcells level editor.

A new "load custom level" button has been added to the title screen. Simply copy a level (or group of levels) into the clipboard and click the button to play.

A subReddit has been created for sharing puzzles which can be found here;
http://www.reddit.com/r/hexcellslevels/

More info about how the level editor works can be found here;
http://steamcommunity.com/app/304410/discussions/0/613936673556813085/

Thanks to BlaXpirit and sekti for creating the excellent level editor!

Look forward to seeing what puzzles people come up with :)

-Matthew

Vlad

These are what I have left on Infinite. 6-3 is the one I can't even get started at the moment, just can't see a way in. I have some ideas, and I'll figure it out eventually, but boy it's a lot harder than plus was, at least it seems.

you guys were not kidding about 6-3

I absolutely loved 6-3, all because of that first move that you have to make. Once you do the first "thing", the rest of it is pretty straightforward, relatively. It's one of those ones where you really need to make use of all the information given to you in order to figure it out.

Ra1den

Loving it so far. Are you guys sure you never have to guess? Seems guessing is required on 3-4 of the original Hexcells, on the right side of the map. Never had to guess until now.

KarmaCow

Loving it so far. Are you guys sure you never have to guess? Seems guessing is required on 3-4 of the original Hexcells, on the right side of the map. Never had to guess until now.

There are times where you need to look a couple steps ahead along multiple paths to rule some out but I don't recall ever having to guess.

samn

Can't know as I don't have this puzzle in front of me, but you may need to look at the remaining number of tiles counter and factor that into your puzzling. I emailed the creator of the game when I was stuck and he gave me that tip. You should never need to guess.

Gilby

I found it way too simple to hold my attention for more than an hour or so. Skipped right to the end puzzles and finished them without any trouble. I feel like the game needs another mechanic to make it more difficult, there isn't really much thought required as it is.

n8

Unconfirmed Member

I decided to go back and play it quickly.
By knowing the column with -2- over it is 3 hexs tall, you'd tag the top and bottom, because rules have it so that all the hexs aren't attached if the number is between hyphens. By eliminating the center of the puzzle, the rest of the right side should become apparent.

Falk

that puzzling face
If this helps at all check it out step by step with liberal use of the pause button and if there's something you don't understand I'd be happy to explain.

Like others said, you never have to guess, ever. Considering Hexcells Infinite has a seeded level generator, I'm pretty sure an algorithm exists to make sure all the bundled levels with the three games all have non-guessing solutions.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
LTTP, bought the three games on the Steam sale and just now finished the last one (still need to do the 60 random puzzle achievment...).

The best thing about this game is that all the puzzles have a completely logical way of being solved, this means that you never need to guess, like in minesweeper. This point alone makes it great.

The other good thing about it is that the difficulty curve is just perfect, starts easy and explains things slowly and in the final levels it goes batshit insane.

The bad things about this game are UI based, they could learn a thing or two from Picross, when you click on a blue hexagon with a number, the area is not clear enough IMO, and although the lines help, it's a pain in the ass to count the hexagons in said line.

Great puzzle game, I don't know if the good things I mentioned hold in the level generator, but I really recommend getting the three games if you are a fan of Picross or Minesweeper.

Falk

that puzzling face
Great puzzle game, I don't know if the good things I mentioned hold in the level generator, but I really recommend getting the three games if you are a fan of Picross or Minesweeper.

The algorithms that generate levels from seeds ensure that you never need to guess, either.

Top Bottom