• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HEY! -- Ever Buy Music Based on Cover Alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

olimario

Banned
This caught my eye and Target and I decided I had to have it.
This is my FIRST TIME to purchase music based soley on cover art.

benharper.jpg

So far it's very good. It's southern Gospel and Soul mixed with a more modern sound.
It has a very unique sound and is still very enjoyable all around.

It reminds me of the Guys Gospel at the end of that one Doobie Brothers song... It has that kind of sound in some of the music.

Ummm.... yes. I used to do it all the time. And I got really lucky with some of my choices. Hell, that's how I got into Ryuichi Sakamoto.

olimario

Banned
FortNinety said:
Ummm.... yes. I used to do it all the time. And I got really lucky with some of my choices. Hell, that's how I got into Ryuichi Sakamoto.

What kind of music is Ryuichi Sakamoto?
Have any sample music?

Jim Bowie

Admittedly, I have-

B00026WTUG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It was good, but not what I was expecting. My friend has a similar band, or at least a side project. They're called Sexual Intercourse.

Matlock

Banned
Jim Bowie said:
Admittedly, I have-

B00026WTUG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It was good, but not what I was expecting. My friend has a similar band, or at least a side project. They're called Sexual Intercourse.

Heh, I've played B81 on my radio show a couple of times. Not exactly my cup of tea, but it's neat to see 'em referenced.

Jim Bowie

Matlock said:
Heh, I've played B81 on my radio show a couple of times. Not exactly my cup of tea, but it's neat to see 'em referenced.

Then why do you play them?

And is there an online stream? This has probably already been answered...

Matlock

Banned
Jim Bowie said:
Then why do you play them?

And is there an online stream? This has probably already been answered...

Forced playlist. And yeah, at wksr.kent.edu, but it's really really poor.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I don't recall ever buying anything based on the cover alone. Maybe movie rentals a couple times, but that's it.

aoi tsuki

Yeah, i've bought a few CDs based on covers, only they were in the $1-$5 range. i don't have the time or money to spend much more than that, especially now with the excellent resrouce that is the web. An insane number of reviews, recommendations, and samples make it much easier to find the music i want, although those lesser-known gems can still be tough to find, especially if they were around before the web got big.

Jason said:
I bought this record because of the art (the fact that it's Miles Davis didn't hurt either).

MDWithHorns.jpg

That artwork is by Don Simpson, of Mad Magazine fame.

I have bought albums based on cover alone, but usually regret it.

Prospero

I bought this last week because of the cover, and the title (and because it was only $10.99--at that price, I'll gamble):

B00000DC10.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It's different from what I usually listen to (I don't have too many CDs with screaming lead singers), but I really like it. If I'd heard a single track on the radio I wouldn't give it a second thought, but over the course of the album the guitar riffs, plus the upright bass solos, plus the bleeps and blips and sound effects, plus the agitpop lyrics... after a few songs in a row the mix started to grow on me.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Litigation Manuel said:
I had someone burn me the new Handsome Boy Modelling School cd mostly because I liked the cover of it.
B000654OVK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It's pretty good, too.

eh, dan the automator on the cover should be enough to convince anyone to buy this :)

Alucard

Banned
At least once...Greenwheel. What a mistake that was. They're like Lifehouse light. I was expecting Coldplay-ish melodies and stuff based on the cover.

greenwheel.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom