• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Little Mermaid Live Action (no politics)

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Why would literally any functional brain having person blame racism on TLM financial success or failure?

Disney Fireworks GIF

RaduN

The girl sings Part of your world like shit, complete and utter shit. She (and the director or whoever coached the interpretation) has no fucking clue about what this song says and how it should say it.
This, and shit like that destroys the movie completely.

The gfx effects are pretty damn bad as well...except for a few scenes.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The movie did the following.....

- Made $120 domesically the first weekend.
- Made $326 million world-wide in 9 days
- Has an "A" Cinema Score
- Has a 68% Rotten Tomatoes score from critics (meaning they viewed it as good, but with some flaws)
- Has a 94% Rotten Tomatoes audience score

So, I guess the initiative to make sure it's viewed as a flop and ignored hasn't worked either lol

There's something between the words, FLOP and RAGING SUCCESS. I hate this new-age binary internet world we live in now. Now breaking even is considered a flop. And a hit movie is "teh great3st moviez of all timez!"

Clearly this movie won't be a success to the bigots (edit: and racists) unless it earns 4x its production budget. Try and keep up.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Clearly this movie won't be a success to the bigots (edit: and racists) unless it earns 4x its production budget. Try and keep up.
The way Hollywood has traditionaly qualified a movie as "A Flop" is when it cant recoup its develoment and marketing cost from US ticket sales alone.
International sales returns are seen idealy as 100% profit.

You might not agree with that standard but thats what its always been.

The way Hollywood has traditionaly qualified a movie as "A Flop" is when it cant recoup its develoment and marketing cost from US ticket sales alone.

Math is bigoted, didn't you know?

Considering how crowded this month is, with Spiderman, Transformers and the Flash (and Mission Impossible soon after) coming up, this will have a really hard time legging it out at the box office.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

I believe all projections from various analysts are pointing to failure.

I'll admit that I'm taking some satisfaction with these developments but not really because of TLM. I've been critical of Disney for what they did to Star Wars at large, and the endless succession of live action remakes of their classic properties, instead of just taking a punt on new stuff.

And back to TLM and the thought processes behind it: the whole race swapping stuff - was it worth it? Why take that chance doing that to an iconic beloved IP? They must have known they would have riled up parts of the fanbase, and they must have thought that they could ride it out. From a pure business perspective: it was goddamn stupid and pure hubris, and automatically meant an uphill battle in certain markets.

jason10mm

Gold Member

Hollywood accounting is NOTORIOUS for all sorts of accounting shenanigans. Take away the DVD market and studios are even more reliant on good box office. So whether or not TLM is "a success" is dependent on your POV, but NO QUESTION Disney was hoping for a B-B-Billion or more from this summer tentpole release.

Though, from the article I linked, that 250 mill budget is HIGHLY LIKELY to be subject to stuff like this:

In July, someone leaked to a website the distribution reports for Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, which appeared to show the movie lost US$167 million, despite grossing more than US$600 million worldwide. One of the main reasons for the loss was Warner Bros' "distribution fee" of US$212 million.

According to Epstein, Hollywood studios often dabble in double accounting, leaking an official budget to trade papers such as Variety and The Hollywood Reporter which is often markedly different to their own internal accounts. The latter budget, seldom seen by anyone outside a studio, takes into account the money the studio gets from government subsidies, tax shelter deals, product placement and other sources that greatly offset the amount of its own money a studio actually has to sink in to a film.

"When viewed from the outside, movies, which are almost always set up as separate off-the-books entities, rarely, if ever, show a profit. Nevertheless, when viewed from the inside, they serve as vessels for collecting and dispensing billions of dollars in fees."

So I doubt Disney will actually lose $$$ from TLM, they are not gonna reap money they were very much hoping for to pay for other stuff unless the merch market is good.

I wonder how much they're making from merchandising for these live action films. And how much of that can actually be attributed to the remake.

When The Lion King came out, all of the merchandise was based on the animated film, because those are iconic, recognizable designs. No one wants a shirt with some random lion. I haven't checked TLM merch, but assume the same applies here.

So the remake might increase interest in merch, but it's probably the animated designs (and film) that people actually like.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I wonder how much they're making from merchandising for these live action films. And how much of that can actually be attributed to the remake.

When The Lion King came out, all of the merchandise was based on the animated film, because those are iconic, recognizable designs. No one wants a shirt with some random lion. I haven't checked TLM merch, but assume the same applies here.

So the remake might increase interest in merch, but it's probably the animated designs (and film) that people actually like.
Oh, there is definitely merch with the "new" ariel. But they are also kinda blending the two into what kinda looks like a tanner version of "old" ariel with more emphasis on the red hair.

So if this kinda stuff ends up in the bargain bin or Disney has to buy it back...that will really tell the tale. But if it sells well it wouldn't surprise me to see "old" ariel get phased out and this hybrid looking one be the animated successor with more variety of actress playing her in live action things/meet and greets. If blue eyed pale ginger Ariel exists alongside the Hailey Ariel that would be an interesting development.

cp7eArf.jpg

jason10mm

Gold Member
Jesus even the doll has distant eyes...
Well, looks to me like they used the same mold for each mermaid, they just changed the base color and the paint job. The eye placement, nose, and lips are pretty much what all these dolls get. A more almond eye shape to match the live action actress perhaps.

GpolxKL.jpg

- Has a 68% Rotten Tomatoes score from critics (meaning they viewed it as good, but with some flaws)

So, I guess the initiative to make sure it's viewed as a flop and ignored hasn't worked either lol
A few corrections:

- It made $96M in its first week-end including Thursday previews.
- Made $326M worldwide in 12 days.
- True but there are some stinkers with an A cinemascore.
- It’s 67% now but no, that’s not what it means. It means that 67% of critics recommend you watch the movie. For all we know this movie could be just above average with a 6/10 or B- but get a fresh tomato. In fact the rating is 6.3/10. Also, 49% from top critics.
- Audience score doesn’t factor people from overseas.

badblue

Why would literally any functional brain having person blame racism on TLM financial success or failure?

Audiences in China can be what turn a flop into a financial success, one of the problems with that is China is pretty racist toward black people for the most part. It's why western movie posters prominently featuring black actors are changed for China.

The Force Awakens posters for example:
qd20ywbaacd41.jpg

Kind of difficult to remove TLM from the posters but they can obfuscate her skin color.
original_LittleMermaid.jpg

Edit:
And just because I smoked a joint and got curious.... Black Panther
iu

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Audiences in China can be what turn a flop into a financial success, one of the problems with that is China is pretty racist toward black people for the most part. It's why western movie posters prominently featuring black actors are changed for China.

qd20ywbaacd41.jpg

Kind of difficult to remove TLM from the posters but they can obfuscate her skin color.

Edit:
iu
Look at that virtuous Disney go!

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

qd20ywbaacd41.jpg

Edit:
iu

I always wonder what the goal is. Like...are the people in China really that easily duped?

"Well clearly this predatory business shilling it's products to whatever disempowered group is the most popular and clearly exists solely to make money based in a Western country where identity ideologies are the new Old Navy ads DEFINITELY won't have one of those absolutely TERRIFYING black people in it, because there aren't any on the poster!"

I doubt it. But then, like...how does anything made over here make money over there in any substantial figure in the modern cinematic age, then? If I got duped by advertisement I'd spitefully refuse to give my business to that company again if I can help it, but that's clearly not the case here, either. Is it a case of such xenophobia that the general citizen has to get tricked into seeing a film and at the end they walk out and have a hearty chuckle and address the audience directly and say "I'm sure glad I gave it a shot, there was a lot of impressive things in that film, despite my previous prejudices!"

Like....help, guys. I'm not Chinese or into Marvel.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The movie did the following.....

There's something between the words, FLOP and RAGING SUCCESS. I hate this new-age binary internet world we live in now. Now breaking even is considered a flop. And a hit movie is "teh great3st moviez of all timez!"

But how are you getting that it's going to break even?

It's been widely reported by the trades that the movie cost 250 million to make, with a further 140 million marketing budget. Total of 390 million. A film needs to make almost double its costs to break even (theatre chains take the other 40% plus). So it needs about 700 million to break even.

Projections now have it coming in or around 500 - 600 million.

That is a flop by any sensible metric. Due to the grotesquely huge production and marketing costs.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
It is fucking bizarre how much china is scared by black people.

I steathily implied that Disney race-swapping would instantly make it an uphill battle in certain markets. By certain markets, I'm referring to of course China and Korea. Disney marketing already know this yet they keep trying and their movie posters in those markets never stop making me laugh. Look at how much they try to lighten or obfuscate Ariel's skin colour in the TLM poster.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Is there a reason why china hate black people so much?

Like, it's 2023, gtfo with this backward mentality.

I hope I'm not straying too close to politics but here goes:

China is still relatively racially homogeneous so there's fewer opportunities for exposure and interactions with other races.

China, like many societies, has a history of favoring lighter skin, which is often seen as a symbol of wealth and social status. This can contribute to prejudices against people with darker skin (they must be labourers, or field workers etc) and might explain why black folks in general, have trouble being accepted over there.

They're also becoming darn nationalistic which further exacerbates existing xenophobia and discrimination.

Source: 🍑

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

Fake news.

Here's another Chinese movie poster, it's exactly the same as the US movie poster.

LVTUYcf.jpg

Besides that, the Chinese poster that supposedly hides the ethnicity of the lead actress was also used in the US.

imNCxbb.jpg

As a bonus, when I did an image search for Wakanda Forever (in Chinese 黑豹2:瓦干達萬歲) , the first image I saw was this one:

MOq90fS.jpg

Boy, those Chinese cinemas are pretty bad at hiding the race of all of these actors!

Last edited:
Fake news.

Here's another Chinese movie poster, it's exactly the same as the US movie poster.

LVTUYcf.jpg

Besides that, the Chinese poster that supposedly hides the ethnicity of the lead actress was also used in the US.

imNCxbb.jpg

As a bonus, when I did an image search for Wakanda Forever (in Chinese 黑豹2:瓦干達萬歲) , the first image I saw was this one:

MOq90fS.jpg

Boy, those Chinese cinemas are pretty bad at hiding the race of all of these actors!
The real question, the only question really, is which of these posters are getting used at theaters to promote the movies in China? Just because there are two options, that doesn't mean they're used with equal frequency.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
To add some context to the discussion over whether China is racist against black people:

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/...-the-spider-verse-opening-weekend-1235632699/

A Spider-Man film with a black main character front and centre went to number one at the box office there. Now, the number was pretty soft at 17m, but far higher than Little Mermaid's terrible 3m.

While the racial dimension may well be a factor, I'd argue the bigger factor is that Disney make fucking shit movies these days, and post Ukrainian invasion, the Chinese appetite for western product may well have slumped, due to the fact they support Russia.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

To add some context to the discussion over whether China is racist against black people:

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/...-the-spider-verse-opening-weekend-1235632699/

A Spider-Man film with a black main character front and centre went to number one at the box office there. Now, the number was pretty soft at 17m, but far higher than Little Mermaid's terrible 3m.

While the racial dimension may well be a factor, I'd argue the bigger factor is that Disney make fucking shit movies these days, and post Ukrainian invasion, the Chinese appetite for western product may well have slumped, due to the fact they support Russia.
I lived in china years ago and yes there is racial problems there but it was mostly with the more working class side of the population who don't go to the cinema very often. The theatre was very expensive there when I lived there so people didn't go quite as often.

So I'm not exactly sure it would translate to movie tickets as much.

JCK75

It is fucking bizarre how much china is scared by black people.

My ex was chinese, it's very strange..
they just don't like dark skin, they are even racist against people from India even though most Chinese are natually dark skinned so they go to crazy lengths to avoid the sun.

Like my ex was aware it was pretty silly but when I asked why they have such issues with it she was like..
"it just looks dirty"

M1rKdeV.jpg

Last edited:

badblue

Fake news.

LVTUYcf.jpg

imNCxbb.jpg

MOq90fS.jpg

Interesting tid-bit about the posters. I probably didn't look well enough due to preconceived notions about how racist (reportedly) the Chinese can be.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

I've NEVER read this in my life. Maybe you have, but not me at all!!! And read lots of movie press and listen to some podcasts that cover Hollywood and have NEVER heard this in my life!

mckmas8808

And back to TLM and the thought processes behind it: the whole race swapping stuff - was it worth it? Why take that chance doing that to an iconic beloved IP? They must have known they would have riled up parts of the fanbase, and they must have thought that they could ride it out. From a pure business perspective: it was goddamn stupid and pure hubris, and automatically meant an uphill battle in certain markets.

At $250 Million on production alone, I doubt any beautiful white girl would have made more money domestically with TLM either. The quality of the movie has a ceiling to just how much it could of possibly make. Personally after watching it I would have put that ceiling at $800m (that's a high number guys). Folks need to remember that June is PACKED and this is the post-pandemic era.

But how are you getting that it's going to break even?

It's been widely reported by the trades that the movie cost 250 million to make, with a further 140 million marketing budget. Total of 390 million. A film needs to make almost double its costs to break even (theatre chains take the other 40% plus). So it needs about 700 million to break even.

Projections now have it coming in or around 500 - 600 million.

That is a flop by any sensible metric. Due to the grotesquely huge production and marketing costs.

I was counting DVD, Blu-ray, streaming sales and merch. And also assuming it was going to hit $550 million.

they just don't like dark skin, they are even racist against people from India even though most Chinese are natually dark skinned so they go to crazy lengths to avoid the sun.

Like my ex was aware it was pretty silly but when I asked why they have such issues with it she was like..
"it just looks dirty"

M1rKdeV.jpg

Yo! This is insane lol. Why go to these lengths to stay light as possible?

Last edited:

GymWolf

"it just looks dirty"

M1rKdeV.jpg
They look like community mascot

Community106.jpg

Fools idol

Banned
lol as someone who has been on business trips to china many many times over the years - for casual racism is easily one of the worst places in the world and I am white as fuck. They look at foreigners like aliens and some even trying to get a picture of me in some areas because they rarely saw non chinese people.

JCK75

lol as someone who has been on business trips to china many many times over the years - for casual racism is easily one of the worst places in the world and I am white as fuck. They look at foreigners like aliens and some even trying to get a picture of me in some areas because they rarely saw non chinese people.

I think the biggest thing about them is how blunt they are, like with how much communist loyalists turn each other in for shit they say that is out of favor they are not very PC and don't hold back on anything.
if you're even slightly out of shape everyone will call you fat, and I was a little taken back about how casually my ex wife would talk to my black friend about him her observations about black people.

Fools idol

Banned
I think the biggest thing about them is how blunt they are, like with how much communist loyalists turn each other in for shit they say that is out of favor they are not very PC and don't hold back on anything.
if you're even slightly out of shape everyone will call you fat, and I was a little taken back about how casually my ex wife would talk to my black friend about him her observations about black people.

The CCP begins brainwashing nationalism and china-first retoric from the school years. It starts early.

China on one hand is a very good place to live as long as you play by the rules, public transport / healthcare / food in the major cities is about as good as it gets anywhere in the world especially in hong kong of shanghai in particular, dont know about rural areas. On the other hand it is very very hostile to foreigners. Very few people speak english, and those that do will not talk openly with you unless you are paying for something.

AmuroChan

I lived in china years ago and yes there is racial problems there but it was mostly with the more working class side of the population who don't go to the cinema very often. The theatre was very expensive there when I lived there so people didn't go quite as often.

So I'm not exactly sure it would translate to movie tickets as much.

There's a big dichotomy between the so called "older" generation and the younger, more capitalistic and globalist population. For example, the NBA is huge in China. The fans, who skew young, are all huge fans of LeBron, Steph, Kobe, etc. Anytime the NBA have exhibition games in China, the fans would treat the players like gods.

JCK75

The CCP begins brainwashing nationalism and china-first retoric from the school years. It starts early.

China on one hand is a very good place to live as long as you play by the rules, public transport / healthcare / food in the major cities is about as good as it gets anywhere in the world especially in hong kong of shanghai in particular, dont know about rural areas. On the other hand it is very very hostile to foreigners. Very few people speak english, and those that do will not talk openly with you unless you are paying for something.

I've been in their hospitals enough with my mother-in-law to know I'd not want to live with that quality of healthcare..
I got Norovirus while there and I'm begging for some real medicine while they keep throwing seed packets at me that I taste for the rest of the night as I'm vomiting them up.

At $250 Million on production alone, I doubt any beautiful white girl would have made more money domestically with TLM either. The quality of the movie has a ceiling to just how much it could of possibly make. Personally after watching it I would have put that ceiling at $800m (that's a high number guys). Folks need to remember that June is PACKED and this is the post-pandemic era.
I reckon that sticking closer to the original would have resulted in, maybe, an extra $100M worldwide.

Kilau

At $250 Million on production alone, I doubt any beautiful white girl would have made more money domestically with TLM either. The quality of the movie has a ceiling to just how much it could have possibly make. Personally after watching it I would have put that ceiling at $800m (that's a high number guys). Folks need to remember that June is PACKED and this is the post-pandemic era.

There is also the fatigue of these remakes. The novelty has worn off and the quality has been on a steady decline.

If this movie came out 5 years ago it would probably do better but too much audience goodwill has been lost.

Billbofet

What I don't get on these remakes is why bother. Why not do a sequel? I think there would be more interest from both fans of the original and a younger generation that grew up on these movies watching them on video/streaming.
Instead, they remake the same story, make odd casting choices, and anger fans of the originals or load it up with culture war bullshit.

I still think the sequels would all be terrible for sure, but I also think they would be much more lucrative to Disney and reach a larger audience that eats trash for entertainment. Just my $.02. I don't care either way.

What I don't get on these remakes is why bother. Why not do a sequel? I think there would be more interest from both fans of the original and a younger generation that grew up on these movies watching them on video/streaming.
Instead, they remake the same story, make odd casting choices, and anger fans of the originals or load it up with culture war bullshit.

I still think the sequels would all be terrible for sure, but I also think they would be much more lucrative to Disney and reach a larger audience that eats trash for entertainment. Just my $.02. I don't care either way.

They already did that, and it was utter trash.

Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 17% of 6 critics gave the film a positive review, and the average rating is 3.8/10. In 2011, Total Film ranked it as 27th among the 50 worst children's films ever made.

mckmas8808

I reckon that sticking closer to the original would have resulted in, maybe, an extra $100M worldwide.

Very fair point and I agree. And I think the far majority of that extra $100 million would have come internationally. I think in America it would have been net-netural.

There is also the fatigue of these remakes. The novelty has worn off and the quality has been on a steady decline.

If this movie came out 5 years ago it would probably do better but too much audience goodwill has been lost.

I agree 100% with this post too. Nobody has to lie and act like the Aladdin movie was superior to The Little Mermaid.

Doom85

Yeah, but I mean a true effort being made. Not the straight-to-video trash from the late '90s, early 2000s.

Aladdin 2 and 3 were pretty good though. I didn’t watch this one, but apparently Cinderella 3 is also good albeit kinda nuts.

Trunx81

Watched it yesterday. Arielles skin color was nicely explained by her sisters being of the race from the ocean they represent (oh, Triton, you unfaithfull bastard). But how is Eriks mother also a POC?

And do we know how Meermaids reproduce? Arielle has a belly button! So they are mamals?

Top Bottom