• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey Rez Fans... Remember K-Project?

While digging around my computer last night, I stumbled across these.... work in progress videos for K-Project:

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

I'm a diehard Rez fan, and It’s these videos where my obsession truly began; when they first became public in early 2001 (thanks to DailyRadar at the time... hope they don't mind me hosting these vids!), I simply could not stop watching them. As cheesy and stupid as it sounds, it was as if a game was the ultimate game just for me was finally in production, and I was getting to see it as it was being made. Seeing early versions of games is always interesting, and even educational, but especially so for a game like Rez, which was (and still is) rather different.

My favorite is the first video which shows the game with a more "earthy" feel to it. Most interesting is the middle/portion which has trees bursting from the ground, since it foretells the use of birth & creation as a metaphor which was used in the final game’s fifth level to amazing effect. Also, the last portion of the video shows what the player’s character looked like at that point. Instead of abstract geometry, it’s a human being who’s running. I would wager this is where the running man boss from the fourth level came from.

Ill Saint

Wow, cool. Thanks for that.

One thing that bothers me, and as much as I absolutely love Rez, is that the whole "interactive music" thing isn't really so successful.

Ill Saint said:
Wow, cool. Thanks for that.

One thing that bothers me, and as much as I absolutely love Rez, is that the whole "interactive music" thing isn't really so successful.

The funny thing is that in the third video, which looks closest to the game we know now, the musical tones which the enemies produce seems to vary, as opposed to just eight consistent tones in the final game. Perhaps there was more of an "interactive" element, which has to be changed, for maybe logistical reasons perhaps.

BuG

I downloaded a video of K-Project from GameSpot a few months ago from a presentation Mr. Mizuguchi made at, I think, TIGRAF 2003. In that video you could see what was perhaps the next stage after the second video, where the abstract geometry was running instead of the flying we see in the final product. Most of it was in a space which looks exactly like the training mission in Rez, except morphing from cylindrical to cube-like, kind of like Tempest.

These videos are certainly much more interesting, though. Many thanks for hosting them. :D I'll have to download them again when I get home, since I can't really have the volume up very loud where I am right now, so's I can hear these somewhat more dynamic sounds properly.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Cool, never seen these videos before. End of the first video is interesting...guy running on a pathway that's collapasing behind him

BuG said:
I downloaded a video of K-Project from GameSpot a few months ago from a presentation Mr. Mizuguchi made at, I think, TIGRAF 2003. In that video you could see what was perhaps the next stage after the second video, where the abstract geometry was running instead of the flying we see in the final product. Most of it was in a space which looks exactly like the training mission in Rez, except morphing from cylindrical to cube-like, kind of like Tempest.

These videos are certainly much more interesting, though. Many thanks for hosting them. :D I'll have to download them again when I get home, since I can't really have the volume up very loud where I am right now, so's I can hear these somewhat more dynamic sounds properly.

I think I tried joining GameSpot for that exact video, but for whatever reason, their site is not compatible with OS X (but then again, I couldn't get it to work at my office PC either...). If you wouldn't mind sharing it, I'd be eternally happy.

Ill Saint

FortNinety said:
The funny thing is that in the third video, which looks closest to the game we know now, the musical tones which the enemies produce seems to vary, as opposed to just eight consistent tones in the final game. Perhaps there was more of an "interactive" element, which has to be changed, for maybe logistical reasons perhaps.

Yes, I noticed this too. I can definitely imagine it being a very tough concept to realise, and the fact that Mizuguchi even attempted this is worth praise. Personally I think they got the basic idea down -- the timing of sounds is right on, but they seem too random to create any real cohesion with the backing tracks. I'd love to see him flesh out this concept further.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Great videos.

It's interesting that the builds from the Kandinsky Project all ran at 60 hz on DC. It ended up being a late decision to avoid most of the framerate drops by just going with a smooth 30. Still, one part was left at 60 fps in DC Rez towards the end, in the cut-scene right before the string of boss rematches.

These videos made me remember the story of when word came down to the UGA offices from headquarters that a decision to discontinue Dreamcast had been reached. All of those talented folks at UGA felt a wave of depression, and no one could find any words to say, Mizaguchi recounted.

Argyle

On the other hand, Sega's decision to go third party meant that we did end up getting a superior version of Rez, as it not only ran at a solid 60Hz on the PS2, but also was launched with one of the most...interesting...peripherals ever to be released for a home console :)

Later the PS2 would be graced with superior ports of Space Channel 5, thanks to the hardware MPEG-2 acceleration built into the EE, and the second game also had support for umm...that same peripheral. :) (And hey, both games were released here at a bargain price...bonus! :)

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
The full-resolution outputted DC version with native VGA helps a lot in the game's expression of color and form. Crystal clarity helps avoid the artifacts on the wireframe graphics and also helps bring out the subtle effects each wave layers on in progression. The Trance peripheral and better sound cable was nice in the PS2 version, though.

Err... the Japanese Space Channel 5 and SP5 pt 2 ports were a little glitchy compared to their DC counterparts. Especially Space Channel 5 pt 2 which used more real-time graphics and looked amazing on DC.

BuG

FortNinety said:
I think I tried joining GameSpot for that exact video, but for whatever reason, their site is not compatible with OS X (but then again, I couldn't get it to work at my office PC either...). If you wouldn't mind sharing it, I'd be eternally happy.
Heh, I only joined so I could get it as well. :p I'm not sure if I have it on my HDD anymore, if I don't I'll download it again as it worked fine for me (it may be a short while, though, since I'm on dial-up). Unfortunately it wasn't on their download program, and their site wouldn't let me download with my basic membership, so I had to use WM Record to grab it. For some reason when downloading with WM Record I can never get the last few seconds of a file, so I think it'll be missing 3 seconds on the end. I also don't have any hosting space, so I may have to just email it to you or something.

While I'm here and we're speaking of Space Channel 5... is my DC about to die or something, because the background FMV tends to get very out of synch with Ulala whenever I try to play it. I figured the laser is nearly dead and it's having trouble playing the FMV at full speed or something. *shrug*

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Lazy8s said:
The full-resolution outputted DC version with native VGA helps a lot in the game's expression of color and form. Crystal clarity helps avoid the artifacts on the wireframe graphics and also helps bring out the subtle effects each wave layers on in progression. The Trance peripheral and better sound cable was nice in the PS2 version, though.

Err... the Japanese Space Channel 5 and SP5 pt 2 ports were a little glitchy compared to their DC counterparts. Especially Space Channel 5 pt 2 which used more real-time graphics and looked amazing on DC.

Still, 60 fps >>>>> better image quality. I'd take the 60 fps RRV, with it's ragged image quality over PGR2 on XBOX running at 30 fps.

Regardless, I Know you wouldn't try to bring those "DC is more powerful than PS2" arguments back up. That's no different from people trying to prove that Saturn is more powerful than PSX. Sure, some aspects of both systems were better...but by and large, they were behind.

Oh, and with REZ DC, the intro and menu systems were also 60 fps. During the actual game, though, I still recall there being slowdown during certain portions even though it was running at 30 fps. I can't say for sure, though...

dark10x

Socreges said:
Lazy8s just complimented the PS2, possibly for the first and last time ever, but you had to go and fuck it all up.

I would hope that he really isn't so biased that he has never complimented the PS2 before...

dark10x said:
Still, 60 fps >>>>> better image quality. I'd take the 60 fps RRV, with it's ragged image quality over PGR2 on XBOX running at 30 fps.

Sorry, but I couldn't agree less, at least in the case of Rez.

Rez isn't a racing game that's emulating a real life experience, in which a ultra smooth frame rate is necessary. It's about big, bold shapes, and to fully appreciate all the graphical nuances, a better image quality is preferred.

I'm not knocking the PS2 version mind you; I've played that one about a hundred times over the DC iteration. Granted, when I first got the DC version, I was somewhat disappointed, but it didn't take long for me to get used to it (and I'm one of those graphic whores that get annoyed by less than stellar frame rates).

dark10x

FortNinety said:
Sorry, but I couldn't agree less, at least in the case of Rez.

Rez isn't a racing game that's emulating a real life experience, in which a ultra smooth frame rate is necessary. It's about big, bold shapes, and to fully appreciate all the graphical nuances, a better image quality is preferred.

I'm not knocking the PS2 version mind you; I've played that one about a hundred times over the DC iteration. Granted, when I first got the DC version, I was somewhat disappointed, but it didn't take long for me to get used to it (and I'm one of those graphic whores that get annoyed by less than stellar frame rates).

Really? I thought 60 fps was REALLLLLY important with REZ. The lower image quality of the PS2 version even fits (slightly more pixelation gives it a more "digital" look) in this case. Not only is the framerate of the PS2 version higher, I also found the colors and effects to be more intense and vibrant.

A high framerate just fits the mood of a game like REZ really well, I think.

8bit

Knows the Score
Is there something weird about the 3rd file? I can't seem to open it. 8(

I prefer the DC version over the PS2 one due to the pretty VGA mode and my dislike of the dual shock controller.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Espio said:
Need Rez 2 :(

GS: Are you interested in portable devices?

TM: Yes, I think my next game will be for the PSP or Nintendo DS.

GS: Will that be Rez 2?

TM: In my mind, yes. But I won't use the Rez name because that belongs to Sega.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Slightly off topic, but I had a Rez question I was gonna ask...

How do you unlock level 5? Do you just need to get 100% analysis rates for stages 1-4? I've got 90% for stages 1 and 2, and 100% for 3 and 4... Or do you need to get 100% in all 3 categories for all 4 stages to unlock it? I heard level 5 is amazing and I'm real anxious to see it.

8bit

Knows the Score
djtiesto said:

How do you unlock level 5? Do you just need to get 100% analysis rates for stages 1-4?

Yes.

Troidal

Wario64 said:
GS: Are you interested in portable devices?

TM: Yes, I think my next game will be for the PSP or Nintendo DS.

GS: Will that be Rez 2?

TM: In my mind, yes. But I won't use the Rez name because that belongs to Sega.

Imagine the Rez madness in dual screen!
Hoooo yeah! X-D

8bit said:
Is there something weird about the 3rd file? I can't seem to open it. 8(

I prefer the DC version over the PS2 one due to the pretty VGA mode and my dislike of the dual shock controller.

At a recent gaming event in NYC, they had Rez on display in a room all to itself. There was one guy playing and... not to sound like an elitist jerk, but... he wasn't very good. So I figured it would be a good chance to flex my skills (hey, I've loved video games my whole life, but I generally suck at them). So I took the controller and was set to show the audience a real show. Afterall, I equate Rez to a work of art, and therefore good Rez playing (and good game playing in general, really) is like performance art.

Thing was, since my PS2 is busted, I hadn't played that version is a while, and since then, it's only been the DC version. So since I wasn't used to the Dual Shock, I didn't do so hot at first, but did get my bearings around the the 3rd or so layer (of the 3rd level). I did get 100% of the layers (or course) but only 95% or so shot down (and bare in mind, I can pretty much get every single one of those tiny, flying bug enemies during the second part of the boss encounter).

But it was an awesome experience: the room was dark, the game was projected on the wall for a massive 20 feet wide image, and there was a sun-roof, so you could see the lightening strike from above (there was a crazy storm plowing through Manhattan that night). Plus while I was playing, there points where people were literally "ooh"-ing!

WarPig

Rez evolved a great deal in development. I've been told that, at the club event put on last year when the budget version came out in Japan, UGA showed off playable versions of several different work-in-progress concepts -- would have been a treat to check those out, see the ideas they came up with over the years.

DFS.

Jonnyram

WarPig said:
Rez evolved a great deal in development. I've been told that, at the club event put on last year when the budget version came out in Japan, UGA showed off playable versions of several different work-in-progress concepts -- would have been a treat to check those out, see the ideas they came up with over the years.

DFS.

There were three playable versions.
One version had Underworld's "Rez" as the soundtrack and another one had Fatboy Slim's "Rockafeller Skank". Honestly, I didn't feel "Rockafeller Skank" suited the feel of the game, although the cuts and sequencing were flawless. The "Rez" stage was also a really nice piece of work, with the music being more suited to the game than any of the final pieces, perhaps. "Rockafeller Skank" was due to be in the final game but was pulled just a couple of weeks before release, so that version of the game was basically the final version. The "Rez" stage was also pretty close to the final version. The third version was basically the first stage on crack. It was much harder with more missiles, and more insane mid-stage sequences. I got the impression that the game was toned down for final release, with the PS2 release dragging the DC version down with it. All these playable demos were on DC, FYI.

Mizuguchi also gave a speech about the development of the game, while a few videos of development versions played, very similar to the ones in this thread. The video of a guy running along a thin walkway is strikingly similar to the intro of a famous Japanese news TV programme.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Rockerfeller Skank...WHAT?? That's sounds pretty damn odd... glad it didn't make it to the final product. I'm sick and tired of that damn song :p

Too bad the harder version of stage one didn't make it to the game. They should have included those versions by different difficulty modes. The easy difficulty is one of my main complaints about Rez (unless playing it in Mororian mode, which you die in 1 hit)

I hope someone has videos of these events somewhere, they sound very interesting

And wasn't there a special Rez event in the past year?

Jonnyram said:
There were three playable versions.
One version had Underworld's "Rez" as the soundtrack and another one had Fatboy Slim's "Rockafeller Skank". Honestly, I didn't feel "Rockafeller Skank" suited the feel of the game, although the cuts and sequencing were flawless. The "Rez" stage was also a really nice piece of work, with the music being more suited to the game than any of the final pieces, perhaps. "Rockafeller Skank" was due to be in the final game but was pulled just a couple of weeks before release, so that version of the game was basically the final version. The "Rez" stage was also pretty close to the final version. The third version was basically the first stage on crack. It was much harder with more missiles, and more insane mid-stage sequences. I got the impression that the game was toned down for final release, with the PS2 release dragging the DC version down with it. All these playable demos were on DC, FYI.

Mizuguchi also gave a speech about the development of the game, while a few videos of development versions played, very similar to the ones in this thread. The video of a guy running along a thin walkway is strikingly similar to the intro of a famous Japanese news TV programme.

Finally! I remember hearing about the event last year, but no one at the time covered it, let alone seemed to care that it was actually happening. You don't want to know what I would do for just vids of those three w.i.p. stages...

Anyways, thanks for the info guys!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
When I first heard of the game, I was wondering if the game got the name from the Underworld song... actually, there is some abstract mini game collection for PS2 that has music by Underworld in it, or something, it looked kind of cool (I'm a big fan of Underworld)... anybody see this?

Ken Ishii (the guy who did the music for level 3) was playing in the city a few months ago, if I hadn't waited so long to try out Rez, I would've gone to see him :p

And I'm still surprised (and happy) this game is so popular... it seems like a niche of a niche product - a hardcore gamer's game for trance/EDM fans. If anything, for the sequel I'd improve the hit detection... make it a bit more obvious what kills you and what doesn't, as well as speed up the movement of the character.

If you pause the game while fighting the first boss (Mars) you can still hear the 'echoey chords' from the start of Born Slippy (underworld). However, you have to pause it *just* at the right time. I discoved it by accident once and took me about 20 goes to find again.

djtiesto said:
And I'm still surprised (and happy) this game is so popular... it seems like a niche of a niche product - a hardcore gamer's game for trance/EDM fans. If anything, for the sequel I'd improve the hit detection... make it a bit more obvious what kills you and what doesn't, as well as speed up the movement of the character.

Even I have to admit I'm rather surprised (yet totally happy) that the game has such a strong following today. Yet here we are, years after the game was released, and there's still a great deal in interest regarding the game on multiple levels.

Whenever the subject of a sequel is proposed, I used to think that there should only be one, that you simply shouldn't try to repeat something that's so special, and "one time only". But the more I think of it, and especially after seeing and hearing about all these slight variation which could have taken the game to different places, I actually feel we need a sequel. So many people have heard of this game but never experienced it, and now buzz is strong enough I think those same folks may want to see what all the clamoring is about.

Last question: how did the game do in Europe? I know trance music is more popular over there, so I'd imagine it did quite well.

FortNinety said:
Even I have to admit I'm rather surprised (yet totally happy) that the game has such a strong following today. Yet here we are, years after the game was released, and there's still a great deal in interest regarding the game on multiple levels.

Whenever the subject of a sequel is proposed, I used to think that there should only be one, that you simply shouldn't try to repeat something that's so special, and "one time only". But the more I think of it, and especially after seeing and hearing about all these slight variation which could have taken the game to different places, I actually feel we need a sequel. So many people have heard of this game but never experienced it, and now buzz is strong enough I think those same folks may want to see what all the clamoring is about.

Last question: how did the game do in Europe? I know trance music is more popular over there, so I'd imagine it did quite well.

I'm pretty sure it sank without a trace, off the top of my head I think it was either 3000 or 6000 units on DC and 3000 units on PS2.

If only they'd done a 'Platstation' style promotion with clubs full of demo pods and a large projection on the screen. I'm sure it would have been purchased by plenty of clubbers.

8bit

Knows the Score
I imagine it did OK on the initial DC release, but I think the PS2 version had a fairly low print run. Some conversation about it here, but nothing too revealing due to the general lack of sales data for euroland.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
dark10x said:

ugh, holy shit, no fucking way. thats all i have to add to this conversation :p

Dilbert

djtiesto said:

How do you unlock level 5? Do you just need to get 100% analysis rates for stages 1-4? I've got 90% for stages 1 and 2, and 100% for 3 and 4... Or do you need to get 100% in all 3 categories for all 4 stages to unlock it? I heard level 5 is amazing and I'm real anxious to see it.
You need 100% analyzation, but it shouldn't be hard to get. Whenever you see the creature appear which dangles the cube, shoot it down ASAP -- nothing else matters at that point, even taking damage if need be to capture the gate. Once you get 100% on Levels 1 and 2 even once, Level 5 becomes available...although to make progress, you may need to play through Levels 1-4 to evolve your character to a higher form.

And yes, it's mind-blowing. I still get a little bit more of a buzz fighting the Level 4 firewall, but overall, Level 5 is the best part of the game.

Rez is right up there with Uniracers & I, Robot as far as games-based-on-an-existing-genre-with-an-incredible-twist are concerned, in my humble opinion.

Maybe it's just simpler to say that Rez is one of my favorite games of all time. :D

Top Bottom