• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HFW - Burning Shores Update From Sony on Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got an email from my Sony PR contact. Review codes are being sent out soon for the DLC. Yes, you do need to finish the last main questline to do the DLC and sadly they do not provide you with a "save" files.

Not sure when the embargo is happening, we are still waiting to receive the codes but we're confirmed for it. I'll keep ya updated

Last edited:
Celebrate In Love GIF by HBO Max

I dunno. I personally expect reviewers to have completed the golden path to review a game. Especially a story driven one.
yes, but what if we deleted the saves by accident or they got corrupted? or we lost it somehow? I have the save personally. But what if one of those happens, then what?

Last edited:
You play the game again, but you're not in that situation so why worry?
You think in that situation it's more reasonable to ask people to play through the game a second time over offering a premade solution? That should be an option. So should being able to jump if they haven't played/completed it for a first time. The why of it is irrelevant so long as it's the players choice to make.

sainraja

You think in that situation it's more reasonable to ask people to play through the game a second time over offering a premade solution? That should be an option. So should being able to jump if they haven't played/completed it for a first time. The why of it is irrelevant so long as it's the players choice to make.
If you don't want to play the main game, why would you want to play the DLC?

JaksGhost

At some point the criticism has to be directed towards the consumer and their lack of drive to do anything. It's end game DLC so the least the consumer can do is beat the game. If you don't want to do that don't buy it. In any of the situations that were presented you just check the save beforehand before buying.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

FF7 Remake Intergrade highly suggests that you play the main story before playing the DLC campain (though not required)

The Witcher 3 lets you play Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine shortly after completing the opening map.

I'm guessing Guerrilla Games had their reasons, narrative-wise, for this decision. Not every game will follow the same DLC story campaign path.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
This doesn't make sense to me.
Why buy more content if you haven't consumed what's already there?
I take it you havent gone through The Witcher 3 and played the DLC before completing the main story?
Doing Blood and Wine and/or Hearts of Stone before finishing the main quest adds new content to the end game.
If the DLC isnt critical to the main story, someone might also want to do it before completing the game.
Mass Effect 2 did this with Stolen Memory....even Lair of the Shadow Broker could be played before you completed the game.
Mass Effect 3s Leviathan DLC can be started pretty much after the second mission.

Most games deal with this by saying you can only access this new area if you have already passed mission X.
I dont think its even that uncommon for a DLC to mesh itself seamlessly without needing to complete a game.

But generally I do agree, if the DLC is a direct sequel to the main game, makes sense to actually finish the main questline first.

Ask people who haven't played it since I already have. Could be lot's of reasons why they didn't finish it but would like to try the DLC that maybe improves upon it for them. Wouldn't be the first time DLC was considered better than the main game. And it's fucking nuts to me to expect people to replay a game they've already finished because they have no save or whatever.
At some point the criticism has to be directed towards the consumer and their lack of drive to do anything. It's end game DLC so the least the consumer can do is beat the game. If you don't want to do that don't buy it. In any of the situations that were presented you just check the save beforehand before buying.
As above, there could be things in the DLC that interest that player more than the base game. We really don't even get flying till (far too) late in the campaign.

I think the best question is: why not? If people care about the story they'd play it through or at least look it up. So that's not a factor. It doesn't hurt the devs financially since you need both to play it. It's not going to be a powerful character since it doesn't need all the upgraded legendaries to start the DLC with. They obviously care about accessibility with the multitude of options present, so why not this?

Fake

Depends. Ever you get the HZD DLC (BTW, I got this DLC via pre-order on PS4)? So, in the DLC they have a bow of the bows, is like make the game completly different, not to mention the new frozen area is amazing in comparison with the rest of the game.

I don't necessary see the reason the beat the game. Witcher 3 did a great job, in fact the Blood and Wine DLC have the same vibes as the Frozen Wilds DLC. The new mutations litelary change the game to better.

Hell, even the Stone Heart put some amazing runes combinations.

My two cents? Will depends of the DLC. Forcing people to beat the game just because of the DLC have nothing to do with what is a DLC at all.

Last edited:

FukuDaruma

Because when you are a 'content' 'consumer' it doesn't really matter if you 'play' 'videogames'. There are people with dozens of games purchased on Steam that they never played even once.

e7a.jpg

Last edited:

sainraja

Ask people who haven't played it since I already have. Could be lot's of reasons why they didn't finish it but would like to try the DLC that maybe improves upon it for them. Wouldn't be the first time DLC was considered better than the main game. And it's fucking nuts to me to expect people to replay a game they've already finished because they have no save or whatever.

As above, there could be things in the DLC that interest that player more than the base game. We really don't even get flying till (far too) late in the campaign.

I think the best question is: why not? If people care about the story they'd play it through or at least look it up. So that's not a factor. It doesn't hurt the devs financially since you need both to play it. It's not going to be a powerful character since it doesn't need all the upgraded legendaries to start the DLC with. They obviously care about accessibility with the multitude of options present, so why not this?
I am not saying they shouldn't have provided the option to skip the main campaign and jump straight into the DLC. I just don't see it as a big deal for the reason I stated.

Hugare

Maybe you have lost of your save somehow and dont want to finish a huge open world game just to experience the DLC?

Maybe you finished the game on PS4 then you bought a PS5. Now what?

Or maybe you just want to experience the story on the DLC? Like, I have finished Hearts of Stone many times since release, sometimes using the built in save because I bought TW3 on PS4, then PC and now on PS5 with the next gen version.

Options are always welcome

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's weird that they don't have the option for the game to generate a completed save if you want to dive directly into the DLC.

But then again, it might at launch.

hemo memo

Gold Member
That’s a big ask for reviewers as they don’t finish games so how are they supposed to review this?

I’m joking they do finish games… some of them...
Okay okay most of them

That’s a big ask for reviewers as they don’t finish games so how are they supposed to review this?

I’m joking they do finish games… some of them...
Okay okay most of them
On a serious note speaking from personal experience - it also depends on the type of a game you get. For example something like Destiny 2 that doesn't really have end except maybe just the campaign story and say PvP portion of the game or a title like Sea of Thieves that's virtually endless - What we normally do is put in 20-30 hours of game time and then make a judgement call on what we believe is enough of play-time to give the product a fair assessment. Sometimes though, we also do get put in rough situations where we receive a game code very late or even sometimes a day or 2 before embargo lifts and at that point its physically impossible to finish the game or even have enough playtime because you have to take writing the review/script and video editing into account. So then we are forced to make a choice - give it a score based of what we played of and get the review out by the embargo date because we are afraid of missing out on the $$$ and 1st day hype/marketing YouTube/Article clicks. Or take the profit hit, spend more time and give it a more of an honest assessment.

TLDR - Some times we have to make tough choices, but a lot of stuff is also not in our control and everything is usually up to the publisher. Thankfully, it seems that for Horizon Forbidden West we're getting the codes pretty early. For God of War Ragnarock we had the game for over 3 weeks ahead of release and that was absolutely a huge win. But that doesn't happen all the time.

Last edited:

TrueLegend

Apart from Matrix demo this will demonstrate the true power of PS5 and non RT based raster and optimization. Yes demon souls remake had geometry but being confined to 1:1 presentation of demon sould makes it feel old gen game with high poly not a next gen game.

To try the flying mechanics and see the new environment. Speaking as someone who couldn't get through the campaign, its a bad hit that's a requirement here. Now I for sure won't play it whereas I would have still purchased to give it a try.

tmlDan

To try the flying mechanics and see the new environment. Speaking as someone who couldn't get through the campaign, its a bad hit that's a requirement here. Now I for sure won't play it whereas I would have still purchased to give it a try.
if its story related it wont even make sense to you, so you're really just not doing yourself a favour either way.

Knowing HFW you have to do the story to unlock new mechanics....

Maybe just finish the game? otherwise, this just isnt for you

if its story related it wont even make sense to you, so you're really just not doing yourself a favour either way.

Knowing HFW you have to do the story to unlock new mechanics....

Maybe just finish the game? otherwise, this just isnt for you
Guess we'll never know lol. Hence why ppl feel it would've made more sense to just offer the option to play the DLC like countless other games before it 😆.

Last edited:

T0minator

Might as well just uninstall the main game then as I'm never going to finish it. It's lame AF and if that's a stipulation to play the dlc then I'm out.
Burning Shores takes places after Forbidden West ... It makes sense. To start the DLC you have to go to a certain part of the map to meet up with Sylens.

Completing the campaign was so easy

midnightAI

Might as well just uninstall the main game then as I'm never going to finish it. It's lame AF and if that's a stipulation to play the dlc then I'm out.
Do you mean the main game is 'lame AF' or that this (totally justified) stipulation is 'lame AF'

Those saying they hate the main game, why are you commenting on the DLC? genuinely curious, the DLC isn't likely to magically change you from hating the game to suddenly loving it, its going to be more of the same with additional content...... you know, like DLC.

(as an aside, how anyone can have so much hate for game of the generation so far is beyond me :messenger_grinning: )

Vick

You only get the flying mount at the end of Forbidden West.. so, very obviously, of course you have to finish the game first.

giphy.gif

(as an aside, how anyone can have so much hate for game of the generation so far is beyond me :messenger_grinning: )
Scratching my head everyday..

Now you can't even point out blatant lies and disingenuity around it, I was banned two times (my only ever Bans) and had posts completely removed for simply posting flattering pictures of Aloy in response to trolling.. trolling and lies which were never removed instead, naturally. Some Mod/Admin must really fucking hate this game for some reason.

GymWolf

They need to introduce a block or parry for people who use melee.

They have the fucking shield for traversal already, cmon guerrilla, you are almost there.

Last edited:

Tsaki

Really strange the need for a "main story completed" save. Though the number of players that would be interested in the DLC without having a save already must be small. Still they should offer a default Aloy like CDPR did for HoS and B&W.

Do you mean the main game is 'lame AF' or that this (totally justified) stipulation is 'lame AF'

Those saying they hate the main game, why are you commenting on the DLC? genuinely curious, the DLC isn't likely to magically change you from hating the game to suddenly loving it, its going to be more of the same with additional content...... you know, like DLC.

Just put em on ignore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom