• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mollipen

VanMardigan said:
Ah, you're new here too? WOW, so many here are shocked at this concept, let's see if they recognize pathetic when it comes from their side of the fence as well:

I was just waiting for this; I love how you instantly assume that the people who think these "buy days" are pathetic are Blu-ray supporters. Trying to make a statement by buying a particular format on a particular day is stupid from BOTH sides.

I haven't thought of them as pathetic-- I think of them as guerrilla marketing efforts disguised as fanboy rallies. I was involved in some grass-roots marketing of a book once, and this is exactly the kind of thing people were professionally coached to do in order to get more exposure for the book. I doubt it's effective at all in this media format war, though-- the people weighing the results are too savvy to fall for this sort of stunt.

That said, I hadn't known until now that there were Blu Days-- I only knew about the one HD-DVD anniversary one.

I don't think differently of either, though. Van's propping up a strawman. If you only read this thread and nto those other forums, you wouldn't know about Blu days, just the HD-DVD anniversary and now this one.

HyperionX

Ignatz Mouse said:
I haven't thought of them as pathetic-- I think of them as guerrilla marketing efforts disguised as fanboy rallies. I was involved in some grass-roots marketing of a book once, and this is exactly the kind of thing people were professionally coached to do in order to get more exposure for the book. I doubt it's effective at all in this media format war, though-- the people weighing the results are too savvy to fall for this sort of stunt.

That said, I hadn't known until now that there were Blu Days-- I only knew about the one HD-DVD anniversary one.

I don't think differently of either, though. Van's propping up a strawman. If you only read this thread and nto those other forums, you wouldn't know about Blu days, just the HD-DVD anniversary and now this one.

There could be astroturfers on both sides, though I think it is much worse on the HD-DVD side.

Chemo

HyperionX said:
There could be astroturfers on both sides, though I think it is much worse on the HD-DVD side.
Yeah, definitely. I mean, they have the most reasons to. Considering blue Pac-Mans and all.

captive said:
die. in. a. fire.

7920002922368.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
xS1TH L0RDx said:
*runs through topic naked*

BOSOX JUST WON THE FUCKIN' SERIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are you going to do now that you don't have a magical curse?

Next time you lose, it's because you suck balls, plain and simple. Salty, pubey balls. That is what you suck.

Pahk that shit in hahvahd yahd you superstitious fucks.

So is there any crazy offers going around on free everything with a PS3 purchase? Also can anyone verify that Odin Sphere is back compat with a 20,60 or 80 gig PS3?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
VanMardigan said:
One year later, they pretty much own the HD market in terms of studios marketshare, yet the market is still tiny and therefore not profitable.

but its growign pretty quickly. Faster than DVD was, i thought? In which case, I would assume Warner and other studios have pretty good tools to predict future growth, and at some point pretty soon its going to start being worth something, and start showing up as positive on their financial results.

Paramount wasn't that big a fish in the HD pond, so perhaps they had less to lose going exclusive. I don' t think a simple cheque would be enough for Warner. Or if it was, it'd probably have to be quite a bit bigger than Paramount's.

Solo

Alrighty, so despite it being a rather crappy movie, I decided to let Transformers be the first HD-DVD that I watched, based on the amount of splooging its picture quality has gotten. And it totally did not disappoint. In fact, I would say that its probably the best transfer I have ever seen. Wow.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Onix said:
It would be kind of odd for Warner to announce a movie for release in January on BD ... and then announce going HD DVD exclusive less than a week later

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=619

:\

Well, Paramount was releasing movies the following week (remember the Blu Ray copies of Blades of Glory?) as well, and that didn't stop them. This is a very weak sounding rumor, but if it were to happen, I wouldn't expect anything to change (in terms of announcements, releases, etc.) until its official, so WB would be making announcements in a normal manner. Heck, remember that at Paramount, most employees (including the PR folks who send out these announcements) were surprised as well.

Chemo

Ignatz Mouse said:
I don't see any reason to differentiate.
One side is seriously lagging in sales and its supporters feel more need to make desperate moves like buy days? It's not rocket science.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ignatz Mouse said:
Van, I cannot believe you are trying to breathe credibility into this rumor.

Nah, on second thought I can believe that.

I cannot believe you can't read. I said the rumor is weak as hell, but saying that it's unlikely because of some announcement for a movie in January doesn't quite do it. Not after the Paramount fiasco where even folks at Paramount had no clue and they had manufactured BR versions of Blades of Glory.

R U Scared?? :lol

Calm down, this is like the third "Warner is going (insert format here) exclusive" rumor since Paramount jumped ship. This will likely get shot down today or tomorrow. I'm just saying that the PR folks making movie announcements doesn't necessarily quash this rumor, however weak it may be.

Ponn

Banned
I would swear some of you have your lives hinged on this format war. I know it sucks balls but at least you can pick up players cheap.

By the way the Sears Black Friday ad leaked and its showing the Toshiba 3rd generation HD-DVD player for 169 bucks.

the HD-A3

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Ponn01 said:
I would swear some of you have your lives hinged on this format war. I know it sucks balls but at least you can pick up players cheap.

By the way the Sears Black Friday ad leaked and its showing the Toshiba 3rd generation HD-DVD player for 169 bucks.

the HD-A3

That is tempting. Sell my HDA2 for a 100 bucks.. get the A3 and 5 free movies...

If Warner *does* go HD-DVD-only I probably will get that A3 at that price. I'll give up hope of a one-format future for good. And run out and buy The Big Lebowski.

THat one does 1080p, correct? (Academic question, as I only have 1080i/720p, but curious).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ignatz Mouse said:
THat one does 1080p, correct? (Academic question, as I only have 1080i/720p, but curious).

No, that's the 1080i version. The A30 and A35 are the 1080p players.

And you better pick up Hot Fuzz and Mystery Men as well, or I'll be very disappointed in you. :p

I probably will, but maybe not right away. I recently re-watched both, and neither is a watch-all-the-time movie. I'll look for them on sale. Lebowski, OTOH, I rewatch very often.

I'll also need to get Children of Men and the Bourne movies. Matrix, Batman Begins.

WB going HD-DVD only would be a very expensive proposition for me!

favouriteflavour said:
So is there any crazy offers going around on free everything with a PS3 purchase? Also can anyone verify that Odin Sphere is back compat with a 20,60 or 80 gig PS3?

5 to 7 free movies depending on where you look (decent movies unlike the crap that hd feeds you =p).
And yes Odin Sphere works with 20,60,and 80 perfectly.

I don't know how many of you live in the PNW and have a Fred Meyer's near you but I heard an ad yesterday from them that made me chuckle. It was an ad for Spider-Man on DVD, Blu-Ray, and HD-DVD and how it's going to be available tomorrow. Of course, I missed a few seconds of the commercial so it may have been about other movies as well but it seemed to be about just Spider-Man. I lol'ed.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
OokieSpookie said:
5 to 7 free movies depending on where you look (decent movies unlike the crap that hd feeds you =p).

You've said this several times now, and you're flat out wrong. Both have duds, and both have decent titles:

Blu Ray:
Category 1 (by FAR the best category, I wish they'd let you pick 2 from here):
Wild Hogs
PoTC
Prestige

Category 2 (comparable to HD DVD Category C):
Swordfish
Full Metal Jacket
Superman: The Movie

Category 3 (crap IMO):
Stir of Echoes
American Psycho
Devil's Reject

Category 4 (crappity crap IMO)
Patriot
SWAT
Ultraviolet

Category 5 (poo poo IMO):
Chain Reaction
Hart's War
Omen 666
Last Waltz
Flight of the Phoenix
Species

HD DVD

Category A (I liked Babel, IJ is decent)
Aeon Flux
Babel
The Italian Job

Category B (crap IMO)
Hulk
Pitch Black
The Thing

Category C (comparable with BR category 2, nothing I like here)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Swordfish
Full Metal Jacket

Category D (I own U2: Rattle and Hum, so crap for me since I don't like the rest)
Firewall
The Frighteners
U2: Rattle and Hum

Category E (Troy is decent)
Black Rain
Darkman
Troy

Toshiba Gen 3 player pack-ins: 300 and Bourne Identity

Like I said, turds and decent movies on both sides.

VanMardigan said:
You've said this several times now, and you're flat out wrong. Both have duds, and both have decent titles:

Blu Ray:
Category 1 (by FAR the best category, I wish they'd let you pick 2 from here):
Wild Hogs
PoTC
Prestige

Category 2 (comparable to HD DVD Category C):
Swordfish
Full Metal Jacket
Superman: The Movie

Category 3 (crap IMO):
Stir of Echoes
American Psycho
Devil's Reject

Category 4 (crappity crap IMO)
Patriot
SWAT
Ultraviolet

Category 5 (poo poo IMO):
Chain Reaction
Hart's War
Omen 666
Last Waltz
Flight of the Phoenix
Species

HD DVD

Category A (I liked Babel, IJ is decent)
Aeon Flux
Babel
The Italian Job

Category B (crap IMO)
Hulk
Pitch Black
The Thing

Category C (comparable with BR category 2, nothing I like here)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Swordfish
Full Metal Jacket

Category D (I own U2: Rattle and Hum, so crap for me since I don't like the rest)
Firewall
The Frighteners
U2: Rattle and Hum

Category E (Troy is decent)
Black Rain
Darkman
Troy

Toshiba Gen 3 player pack-ins: 300 and Bourne Identity

Like I said, turds and decent movies on both sides.

I can agree that it all comes down to taste but I just think that Pirates of the Caribbean, The Prestige, Wild Hogs ( not my thing but people liked it I guess), American Psycho ,Devil's Rejects, The Patriot are all much better choices to me.

(Now the last set that blu ray had for this deal was true crap)

NekoFever

VanMardigan said:
Category B (crap IMO)
Hulk
Pitch Black
The Thing
This should be bannable.

I actually liked Hulk and Pitch Black was decent, but The Thing being amazing isn't subjective. It's scientific fact.

NekoFever said:
This should be bannable.

I actually liked Hulk and Pitch Black was decent, but The Thing being amazing isn't subjective. It's scientific fact.

Pitch Black wasn't terrible all and all, just a bit cliche.
The Thing is a classic.

I hated the Hulk, and Pitch Black was just OK.... but The Thing.... unimpeachable.

...and it's not like it's a bias-based comment, since that's HD-DVD. It's just..... wrong.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
"Category B (crap IMO)
Hulk
Pitch Black
The Thing"

That's the best bracket,wish they had this one when I sent in my form.

MechDX

Ponn01 said:

the HD-A3

hda3ws2.jpg

Solo

The current HD brackets are pretty crappy. The only one in there Ill be getting that I would actually want if it werent free is The Thing.

widgetraf

How long did it take most people to get their 5 free movies? What packaging did it come in? I might be gone during a week in December and thats then the 8-10 week window falls for me.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
widgetraf said:
How long did it take most people to get their 5 free movies? What packaging did it come in? I might be gone during a week in December and thats then the 8-10 week window falls for me.

2 months and mine came in a padded envelope via media mail.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Matrix said:
"Category B (crap IMO)
Hulk
Pitch Black
The Thing"

That's the best bracket,wish they had this one when I sent in my form.
agreed. when I bought my HD-DVD and BRD players, this was the toughest brack from the 10 to choose from.

And FWIW I had a much tougher time choosing between titles for HD-DVD 5 free offer. Categories 1 and 2 for BRD were the only ones where I actually had to make a choice and liked one or more movies from as opposed to HD-DVD where this was true about cats 1, 2, 3 and 4.

OokieSpookie said:
Pitch Black wasn't terrible all and all, just a bit cliche.
The Thing is a classic.
If it was good enough for Gears or War to copy from, Pitch Black is a great movie in my book. :D And The Thing is a classic. I'd get Pitch Black from that list, then buy The Thing at the store.

jjasper

I watched all the Spiderman movies this weekend. Great set. I don't know if it was because I went into 3 with such low expectations but I actually somewhat enjoyed it (although I am not sure if it was Raimi's intent to make me laugh at certain scenes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom