• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

Marconelly said:
I've heard some of the visual effects scenes in BR Final Cut were re-done in CG? Is that true, and if so, which ones? I actually hope this is not true :\ it didn't seemed to be the case from what I've seen at least (I've seen at most 1/4 of the film last night)

Not true. stuff was just touched up to make it look better.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Marconelly said:
I've heard some of the visual effects scenes in BR Final Cut were re-done in CG? Is that true, and if so, which ones? I actually hope this is not true :\ it didn't seemed to be the case from what I've seen at least (I've seen at most 1/4 of the film last night)
afaik none were. some were touched up. removing wires, erasing matte lines, etc. and I think some model shots were touched up and expanded a little bit. but nothing like Star Wars or even Star Trek. The touchup work was meant to be even more conservative the the ST:TOS work. Clean up the movie but leave everything in tact. I think the most "extensive" shot was pasting Joanna Cassidy's face over Zhora to get rid of the stunt person that became glaringly obvious in HD.

Xater

borghe said:
afaik none were. some were touched up. removing wires, erasing matte lines, etc. and I think some model shots were touched up and expanded a little bit. but nothing like Star Wars or even Star Trek. The touchup work was meant to be even more conservative the the ST:TOS work. Clean up the movie but leave everything in tact. I think the most "extensive" shot was pasting Joanna Cassidy's face over Zhora to get rid of the stunt person that became glaringly obvious in HD.

Well she was obvious even before that because of the hair that totally looked wrong. :lol

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Chiggs said:
The scene near the end with the dove flying up is brand new. At least, the background is.

That is so out of place. It's raining, the dove flies up into a clear sky, then cut back to the rain.

Chiggs

Gold Member
VanMardigan said:
That is so out of place. It's raining, the dove flies up into a clear sky, then cut back to the rain.

Yeah, I just a got another laugh out of it at that German link above. Thank God that was redone.

I still want to know why Scott chose to omit the Roy Batty/Deckard krump dance sequence. Like many things in the movie, it was way ahead of its time.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Sir Fragula said:
You don't think the dove flying up into a clear sky is meant to be symbolic?

Sure, but when you immediately cut back to rain falling on batty, it totally kills the flow. It's not a dream sequence, it's supposed to be continuous. Same with that fake ass wig they used for the sequence where the chick crashes through the windows.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Sir Fragula said:

As if the dove wasn't ham-fisted enough.... I just don't see how anyone could prefer the original shot vs. the touched up one.

Xater

Sir Fragula said:

Actually it wasn't. It was a compromise which was made because they had to stop filming and the dove couldn't fly because it was too wet. Watch Dangerous Days!

lupin23rd

StoOgE said:
exactly, if/when combo players take the market it means that Uni and Paramount will stay HDDVD and the BRD studios will remain BRD. Then its a matter of where WB goes. It doesnt really matter to the customer at that point, its all back office politics of who gets the royaltees for the sales of WB movies. Expect lots of moneyhatting in this case to get them on board.

J6P is happy because he can just go to the store and buy a movie. Toshiba is happy because they at least manage to get 30% of HDM royaltees going forward, Sony is probably not very happy. We are all happy because these ugly blue and red boxes probably go away.

But I like the blue boxes...

satori

Gattsu25 said:
FUCK ME

I get paid and now HP1-4 are not in the fucking BOGO deal anymore

Ah fukin hell, I had this on my cart and was planning to buy it last night. Was too busy watching the canidates speeches it totally slipped my mind. Bah was gonna be a gift for the GF too ><

theBishop

Banned
8eh4e0w.jpg

Kolgar

It's been so long, I forget when I even sent in for them. September-ish, I guess.

The movies arrived yesterday, but it wasn't all wine and roses. For some reason, they gave me a copy of The Rundown--or whatever the name of that flick is starring The Rock--instead of We Were Soldiers, which is the movie I most wanted of the five.

As an extra bonus, three of the disc cases were damaged. There's a nearly two-inch ragged vertical slash over the UPC symbols... Hardly "the look of perfect."

So, I plan to call Toshiba and have them send me my "We Were Soldiers." I waited a long time for those movies, they can correct their mistake.

It's not all bad, however. I'm very much looking forward to seeing Casablanca in HD.

On another note, I took advantage of Best Buy's "buy three, get two free" deal today. Notable pick-ups were Blade Runner Collector's Box (which they almost wouldn't give to me because it was 'a box set'--even though it fit the price criteria of $34.99 or less) and 2001: A Space Odyssey.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
unfortunately they probably will not give you We Were Soldiers. All of the free movie deals are "Will substitute another move of our choice if any are unavailable." They didn't screw up by giving you Rundown, they didn't have your movie available so gave you a different one instead.

Good luck but don't expect to get your movie.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Blade Runner looks perfect now, except for 1 little tiny thing.

When Zora runs through the glass, the body suit the stunt person wore is all kinds of horrid looking still. You can tell she is in a leatard. Other than that, its aces. Not enough to complain about, but a completely CG'ed person running through the glass would have been nice.

borghe said:
unfortunately they probably will not give you We Were Soldiers. All of the free movie deals are "Will substitute another move of our choice if any are unavailable." They didn't screw up by giving you Rundown, they didn't have your movie available so gave you a different one instead.

Good luck but don't expect to get your movie.

Yupp. BRD guys lost all the paramount movies and just got random stuff sent to them as well. I'm still waiting on mine, and Im more hoping for the ones I wanted than anything else.

Oni Jazar

Interesting news regarding DIVX & HD:

smokey said:
Hi Paul, the DivX Certification of PS3 is still on-going. The first stage was the software update that recently went out, but there is more functionality to add. Ultimately PS3's will ship with the all the elements of Certification, but we are still working on it.

Our goal is absolutely to get DivX on Blu-ray devices, and HD-DVD as well of course. I don't believe any have been publicly announced at this time, but that is our target.

PS: It's an honor to post here in the HDTV software thread as an "insider." I've been lurking here for years (!) and have learned a ton from the other posters, inside or not. Thanks to AVSforums for the opportunity.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=899842&page=54

Darobga

WARNER BROS. ENTERTAINMENT TO RELEASE ITS HIGH-DEFINITION DVD TITLES
EXCLUSIVELY IN THE BLU-RAY DISC FORMAT BEGINNING LATER THIS YEAR

Decision Made in Response to Strong Consumer Preference for Format

(January 4, 2008 - Burbank, CA) - In response to consumer demand, Warner Bros.
Entertainment will release its high-definition DVD titles exclusively in the
Blu-ray disc format beginning later this year, it was announced today by Barry
Meyer, Chairman & CEO, Warner Bros. and Kevin Tsujihara, President, Warner
Bros. Home Entertainment Group.

"Warner Bros.' move to exclusively release in the Blu-ray disc format is a
strategic decision focused on the long term and the most direct way to give
consumers what they want," said Meyer. "The window of opportunity for high-
definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We
believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for
mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most
importantly, consumers."

Warner Home Video will continue to release its titles in standard DVD format
and Blu-ray. After a short window following their standard DVD and Blu-ray
releases, all new titles will continue to be released in HD DVD until the end
of May 2008.

"Warner Bros. has produced in both high-definition formats in an effort to
provide consumer choice, foster mainstream adoption and drive down hardware
prices," said Jeff Bewkes, President and Chief Executive Officer, Time Warner
Inc., the parent company of Warner Bros. Entertainment. "Today's decision by
Warner Bros. to distribute in a single format comes at the right time and is
the best decision both for consumers and Time Warner."

"A two-format landscape has led to consumer confusion and indifference toward
high definition, which has kept the technology from reaching mass adoption and
becoming the important revenue stream that it can be for the industry," said
Tsujihara. "Consumers have clearly chosen Blu-ray, and we believe that
recognizing this preference is the right step in making this great home
entertainment experience accessible to the widest possible audience. Warner
Bros. has worked very closely with the Toshiba Corporation in promoting high
definition media and we have enormous respect for their efforts. We look
forward to working with them on other projects in the future.

from AVSforum
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=969068

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom