• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidden gem/unpopular games with great pixel art

nkarafo

We all know about the Metal Slugs and Street Fighter 3s. And many Neo-Geo and Capcom games which represent the peak of 2D pixel art. But it seems like there are a few great lookers that are much less known, some i didn't know they even exist. Like this one (Demon Front):

dmnfrnt-190926-185132.png

dmnfrnt-190926-184622.png

I discovered this game in MAME. I'm using RetroArch with an arcade monitor shader here, because low-res pixel art looks more authentic with the blending/scan-lines.

This game is almost just as good as a Metal Slug game IMO.

What other less known examples of great pixel art you know of?

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
I really liked the 80s-90s cartoony western games pixel art, especially on Amiga

For years, till Disney released their 16-bit games on consoles, this was regarded as the prettiest Disney game. Screenshots dont do the game any justice, Amiga monitors had dithering that improved the picture. Incredible Technologies, its developer, is still active. Attention to detail is even greater than in the new Ducktales remaster, even adding shades to the portraits.

Disneys_Duck_Tales_-_The_Quest_for_Gold_1990_screenshot.gif
131294.jpg
7.jpg
disneys-duck-tales-the-quest-for-gold_10.gif

142043-disney-s-duck-tales-the-quest-for-gold-amiga-screenshot-our.gif

Fiendish Freddy by Mindscape was another favorite

Fiendish%20Freddys%20Big%20Top%20O%20Fun_8.png
fiendish_freddy_s_big_top_ofun_mindscape_24.gif
Fiendish_Freddys-3.png
Fiendish%20Freddys%20Big%20Top%20O%20Fun_1.png
CaringJovialHartebeest-size_restricted.gif
Fiendish%20Freddys%20Big%20Top%20O%20Fun_2.png

Also Dynamite Dux

probably first game with nude furry art (computer versions). Core Design, the developers of Tomb Raider knew already what they were doing when porting it. They got away with underage nudity because had Sony and other known it, they'd have axed them for good

65510.jpg

offensive cartoony art with underage character
Dynamite_Dux_%28Amiga%29-easteregg1.png

nkarafo

Sega had great pixel art in their System 24 games, right before they turned to 3D

Arabian Fight
150296.jpg

Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder (sadly it was never ported to any home system)
SoulfulTalkativeKodiakbear-size_restricted.gif

and Outrunners
medium.gif

1053098951.jpg
These are System 32.

System 24 was a higher resolution system but not as advanced overall.

Fuz

Banned
Waku Waku 7 is definitely obscure.
Not that obscure. And one of my favourite fighting games of the era. I sometimes replay it to this day.
It's cool because it's loaded with references, from JoJo to Totoro, with still being pretty original. And it played very smoothly. Great game.

Vorg

Banned
Sega had great pixel art in their System 24 games, right before they turned to 3D

Arabian Fight
150296.jpg

Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder (sadly it was never ported to any home system)
SoulfulTalkativeKodiakbear-size_restricted.gif

and Outrunners
medium.gif

1053098951.jpg

These are actually system 32 games iirc. This kind of 2D scaling and animation was pretty insane at the time.

Since y'all liked my last post I'm back with more indie stuff. How obscure these are I guess depends on how familiar you are with indie games.

I'll be back again 😁

Mother Russia Bleeds
tumblr_od1lm56tI91u4rawro2_500.gif

Chasm
ks-may17-temple.gif

198X
OfficialUnfortunateBandicoot-size_restricted.gif

Foxtail
courtyard.gif

Crawl
source.gif

Swag and Sorcery
d9fda57f31f6b06c8c05e741a1769eb3.gif

Crossing Souls
Crossing-Souls-Game-Download.gif

Iconoclasts
24997331668_4b28012af7_o.gif

Tower 57
gif2.gif

Rain World
32026346631_a8d23899d1_o.gif

Backbone (upcoming)
WFz8eoU.gif

Mystik Belle
hORAOB.gif

Party Hard 2
party_hard_2_launch_gif.gif

River City Girls
uy2wjncbxhccxosa6eim.gif

Dark Devotion
CZd1nDP.gif

EITR (upcoming)
giphy.gif

Last edited:

nkarafo

Don't get me wrong, most of those Indie games look great and the animations are almost always amazing. But i really dislike when they go low-res on purpose to achieve a "blocky" look. Especially when you end up with characters that look like they are made out of a few pixels. There are a couple of games that do this in your examples so far (Buthcer and Crawl, specifically) but most of the others look great.

Also, many Indy games look great in motion but not as good in still pictures. It's the animation and modern effects that mostly make these games look amazing. But if you get a still picture of, say, Metal Slug or Alien VS Predator, or the examples posted in the first couple of posts, it will be on another level compared to something like EITR, Foxtail, Dark Devotion and Kingdom: New Lands, as the later games have graceful animations but the sprite/background detail is much lower.

Reactions: Fuz
Don't get me wrong, most of those Indie games look great and the animations are almost always amazing. But i really dislike when they go low-res on purpose to achieve a "blocky" look. Especially when you end up with characters that look like they are made out of a few pixels. There are a couple of games that do this in your examples so far (Buthcer and Crawl, specifically) but most of the others look great.

Also, many Indy games look great in motion but not as good in still pictures. It's the animation and modern effects that mostly make these games look amazing. But if you get a still picture of, say, Metal Slug or Alien VS Predator, or the examples posted in the first couple of posts, it will be on another level compared to something like EITR, Foxtail, Dark Devotion and Kingdom: New Lands, as the later games have graceful animations but the sprite/background detail is much lower.
I think the Metal Slug games are some of the best looking and best playing 2D games ever, and Demon Front looks amazing, especially with that filter. But I'm also very happy that pixel art continues to be used in today's games instead of dying off.

Top Bottom