• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima Answers Our Questions About Death Stranding / Sequels Might Be Necessary

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

While we learned a lot from watching those demonstrations, they also raised many questions about how Death Stranding works and what it tries to convey. What is the goal behind the asynchronous multiplayer? What do "likes" do? How has the game changed since its inception? To get the answers to these questions and more, we visited the Kojima Productions studio in Tokyo for an interview with Hideo Kojima himself.

Of all the new features that you revealed at the first TGS live show, what was the one you were most excited to finally talk about?

Playing the game is a lonely feeling, because you play alone usually, even though you’re online. A lot of people play on the couch, and perhaps they feel like, “Oh, I’m lonely, and I’m maybe strange, playing all alone.” And you’re doing it over and over. You’re traveling with BB, and maybe you feel lonely. Norman [Reedus] actually got this point as well – you’re struggling all alone. But at a certain point, you realize, “There is someone really similar to me who felt this loneliness,” because you see it when you’re indirectly connecting. Like in a movie theater – there are maybe 200 or 300 people watching a movie together.

But today’s games, you’re playing by yourself in your room alone usually. Then suddenly, you open to a world like “Oh, I’m not the only one.” And I’m really happy a lot of people understood that, and I think that was the most successful part. Of course, you can’t see other people’s faces, but you can see the tracks and traces, so you can feel or think about the other people.

And players get some additional feedback from “likes” they receive. But what can they actually do with those likes?

I had a big argument with the staff, actually. In a game, you get more money, or you get more fame, or you get more kudos, right? That’s what game systems now days are about – you want something in return if you do something. At the beginning, the Asian staff said, “Hey, Hideo, no one will ever understand this. Maybe the Japanese might.” I said, “That’s why I want people to do it in the game.” So all these staff members said to me, “We have to give them kudos or points or whatever,” but that would be like a normal game – any other game. So I said, “Giving ‘likes’ is giving unconditional love.”

But, of course you can see how many likes you get, so that’s maybe a little reward. If you just use [something another player placed], one like will be sent automatically. But also you can send more, like a tip. I don’t want to say I’m brilliant for thinking of this idea, because it’s really a mix of the Japanese way; we don’t have tips, but you know you get really good service in Japan. Whereas in America, there’s a tip system where waiters try their best because they want to be tipped. So it’s a cross lateral in the game.

What I really wanted to do – I didn’t want to give “thumbs down.” I didn’t want to give any negative in this game; it was a positive intent where I started this idea. In current SMS and internet, there’s likes and thumbs down. To me, [thumbs down] is like the stick – it’s an attack. But that’s why it’s a positive intent in the game; if [your objects] have few likes, they might disappear, and the ones with lots of thumbs up will remain, but it isn’t negative.

Check the link for more.

Thanks mods for the title change 💪

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Death Stranding marks the creation of a new genre, which he called "Strand Games." However, for the genre to be explored properly, more Death Stranding projects may be required.

Speaking to GameSpot, Kojima indicated that Death Stranding alone may not be enough to give Strand Games the permanence he wants the genre to have. This, he believes, is because the concepts and ideas are new territory for him as a creator and for those who play the game and experience them.

What is put forth in Death Stranding could serve as the foundation for the genre, but Kojima also expressed a desire to refine them, which would also ensure awareness of the genre remains.

"I'm not really sure," he said when asked if Death Stranding would become a series. "The most difficult part is, when you create something new, you have to create a sequel and then a third version or it [will] not remain as a genre.

"When this game comes out there will be a lot of pros and cons, and [these elements could become the essence of the core part], but I think it's better that I keep it going in a sequel."

While Kojima seemed to suggest a revision for- and/or a sequel to-Death Stranding could be required, though he noted there were other projects on the table too.

"Yeah, probably at least 1.5, and then 2, maybe, at least so that it remains and people are aware of the genre. There are a lot of other projects that come up like TV dramas and things like that. A lot of pitches come my way."

A roadblock, however, is finding the time to tackle follow-ups and exploring other projects. "Why I can't say it's definite is because I only have one body, and there are many projects that I have to be involved with. And it's really tough for me physically to do many things at once."

Kojima has been open about not completely understanding his own game since its gameplay and world view are something new. However, in the interview he said that much of Death Stranding is inspired by the Japanese concept of "omoiyari," which can be loosely translated to compassion for others. He goes on to explore the various ways this omoiyari can manifest, the feelings it can inspire, and how that all manifests in the game.

Roni

Gold Member
You can upvote messages in Dark Souls. Maybe even Demon's Souls? Haven't played that one. Not a new genre.

Kojima is explaining the upvote is indeed drawn from other games because the team made a stand and told him no one would understand anything if the upvotes weren't there.

Verdanth

There's no dislike system, however if you dont get likes your item may dissapear. Thats just like a dislike in a different way if you ask me.

Mochilador

You can upvote messages in Dark Souls. Maybe even Demon's Souls? Haven't played that one. Not a new genre.
I wish he would just shut up and sell me the game.
I don’t want to say I’m brilliant for thinking of this idea, because it’s really a mix of the Japanese way; we don’t have tips, but you know you get really good service in Japan.

Yeahh... :lollipop_beaming_smiling:

GermanZepp

There's no dislike system, however if you dont get likes your item may dissapear. Thats just like a dislike in a different way if you ask me.
Or, just like any social network, forum etc, the time and the place you put things is the determining factor for the likes

ROMhack

Not sure what he's talking about but the first thing sounds a lot like the system thatgamecompany applied in Journey. Collaborative environmental experiences (or something).

The second, likes system sounds a lot like Gamification, which isn't really a Japanese phenomenon. The concept of game-like systems in non-game scenarios is applied throughout a range of everyday digital applications. Although in this instance it's a game-like system in a game, albeit a bit of a hybrid (ie likes aren't usually a core part of gaming).

Nero_PR

Banned
Kojima is just using a Like system with no dislikes. Just that. nothing special, but I like the premise of not trying to spread negativity in the world of Death Stranding. You wouldn't like negativity in a game that is about reinforcing the bonds between people.

vpance

Kojima said:
And now everyone will say, “Oh, it’s a walking simulator!”

It’s the same as when I first brought out a stealth game. If 100 people play it and 100 people say it’s fun, it means the genre or the game already exists. But this is a new genre – same as stealth the first time, there will be people who don’t get it. It will take time for the real evaluations to come in.

It's cool that he knows about the criticism, however unfounded it is.

vpance

At the moment all this stuff is just in Kojima's head because I have yet to see something innovative or groundbreaking in the Death Stranding videos released so far.

Appeal wise, basically it's taking people's love of open world exploration and putting some challenge to it, and then making that the focus.

My take on why it'll work. I think for most people who enjoy OW games, half the unconscious or conscious enjoyment from is traveling around and discovering new areas. And all the fetch or kill quests you need to do aren't actually all that original, but still people like the genre. It's why the Ubi formula still sells.

So yeah it's like a "walking" simulator, but if people are honest with themselves they'll admit they like exploring open worlds and finding stuff.

The only thing I wonder is how much variety the world has and how big it is.

Javthusiast

Banned
I am a big Kojima fan, but could he please dial it down on the I created a new genre of game that needs more games to truly explore?

Nothing so far shown is anything new by itself that creates a new genre.

ExpandKong

Banned
Okay, must have missed that. Why is he calling it a new genre, though? All this smoke up my ass is getting uncomfortable.

He’s been so busy paying attention to Hollywood over the last twenty years he forgot to pay attention to the gaming industry outside of his own products.

message to kojima-san: myself, & a number of other people, are looking forward to an interesting, well-craft, enjoyable game. & we don't especially care whether it's a 'new genre' or not. just so's you know...

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
Is HK the Tommy Wiseau of video gaming industry, now?

event-poster-10335402.jpg

molasar

Banned
Does the game have a secret ending unlocked by building solid bridges (connecting all USA cities) with other players online?
A song 'We Are the World' could be played in credits.

ExpandKong

Banned
Real talk I’m starting to think this game was just an excuse for Kojima to get as much naked Norman Reedus mocap as he could reasonably get away with and everything else is just an afterthought.

“Yeah Norman it’s uh there’s this other dimension and uh the goal is connecting the world and ok it’s time to shoot mocap for the pissing functionality, please get nude 40 or 50 takes should do it. Self-massage footage is tomorrow.”

ruvikx

Banned
At the moment all this stuff is just in Kojima's head because I have yet to see something innovative or groundbreaking in the Death Stranding videos released so far.

To me it just looks like those David Cage games (i.e. Heavy Rain etc.) where everything is about slow environmental exploration, characters picking up stuff, interacting with the décor etc.

I'm not even saying it looks like shit (it doesn't & I would certainly play it because I'm curious & I like the artstyle), but the whole "strand game" (i.e. megalomaniacally giving himself a new game genre) is just fodder for the most hardcore Kojima fans who overanalysed stuff like MGS2 for years before & after release. I guess he knows his fanbase & simply caters to them. It's probably good business from that point of view.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So it is another single player game that will lack some features without ps+ ? nice...

While we learned a lot from watching those demonstrations, they also raised many questions about how Death Stranding works and what it tries to convey. What is the goal behind the asynchronous multiplayer? What do "likes" do? How has the game changed since its inception? To get the answers to these questions and more, we visited the Kojima Productions studio in Tokyo for an interview with Hideo Kojima himself.

Of all the new features that you revealed at the first TGS live show, what was the one you were most excited to finally talk about?

Playing the game is a lonely feeling, because you play alone usually, even though you’re online. A lot of people play on the couch, and perhaps they feel like, “Oh, I’m lonely, and I’m maybe strange, playing all alone.” And you’re doing it over and over. You’re traveling with BB, and maybe you feel lonely. Norman [Reedus] actually got this point as well – you’re struggling all alone. But at a certain point, you realize, “There is someone really similar to me who felt this loneliness,” because you see it when you’re indirectly connecting. Like in a movie theater – there are maybe 200 or 300 people watching a movie together.

But today’s games, you’re playing by yourself in your room alone usually. Then suddenly, you open to a world like “Oh, I’m not the only one.” And I’m really happy a lot of people understood that, and I think that was the most successful part. Of course, you can’t see other people’s faces, but you can see the tracks and traces, so you can feel or think about the other people.

And players get some additional feedback from “likes” they receive. But what can they actually do with those likes?

I had a big argument with the staff, actually. In a game, you get more money, or you get more fame, or you get more kudos, right? That’s what game systems now days are about – you want something in return if you do something. At the beginning, the Asian staff said, “Hey, Hideo, no one will ever understand this. Maybe the Japanese might.” I said, “That’s why I want people to do it in the game.” So all these staff members said to me, “We have to give them kudos or points or whatever,” but that would be like a normal game – any other game. So I said, “Giving ‘likes’ is giving unconditional love.”

But, of course you can see how many likes you get, so that’s maybe a little reward. If you just use [something another player placed], one like will be sent automatically. But also you can send more, like a tip. I don’t want to say I’m brilliant for thinking of this idea, because it’s really a mix of the Japanese way; we don’t have tips, but you know you get really good service in Japan. Whereas in America, there’s a tip system where waiters try their best because they want to be tipped. So it’s a cross lateral in the game.

What I really wanted to do – I didn’t want to give “thumbs down.” I didn’t want to give any negative in this game; it was a positive intent where I started this idea. In current SMS and internet, there’s likes and thumbs down. To me, [thumbs down] is like the stick – it’s an attack. But that’s why it’s a positive intent in the game; if [your objects] have few likes, they might disappear, and the ones with lots of thumbs up will remain, but it isn’t negative.

Check the link for more.

Thanks mods for the title change 💪

Sorry, but...we learned a lot? What's that lot, exactly? 🤔

The game will come in a month and an half, and we still don't even know which genre it truly is

To me, It looks like Kojima is trying to sell its game with words and promises, but we have close to nothing truly concrete

Last edited:

McCheese

This guys doing a stand-up job of making the game sound less appealing the more he talks about it.

Can't wait to play this lonely bladder management sim that won't make sense until the next game.

This guys doing a stand-up job of making the game sound less appealing the more he talks about it.

Can't wait to play this lonely bladder management sim that won't make sense until the next game.

It was more appealing before he made us see the gameplay lol

God, I hope this will turn out to be good, my hearr is still broken after MGSV

Last edited:
I was fine with sequels when they were coming year after year. Now that games take years to make I am not fine with waiting 10 years for 3 games to come out to finish the story

This
Just having one shot, stand alone masterpieces is better imho, at least now I'm around 30s
Imagining to start now a series who will continue when I'll be in my 40-50s is not good :( imo of course

And I don't want Kojima to fall again in a mgs like cage
I'd like much more to see him make something different every time, It excites me a lot to see what he's capable of
He said not long ago to have lots of ideas for new projects in his head

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm really only buying this game because Kojima. I really have no interest in it other than him and tbh I'll say flat out I don't think I'm going to like it based on what I saw. I seldom have the patience for slow, monotonous games unless there is an incredible emphasis on character customization, progression, or world building. This seems like MGS5 without the stealth and action in terms of play style. Every video I see is wandering a barren area with no enemies or a couple at most and placing ladders in random areas to climb to new barren areas. I'll gladly be proven wrong and still have it pre-order to support Kojima.

Last edited:
Top Bottom