• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima is leaving Konami, what will happen to Silent Hills?

Betty

Banned
No way it's cancelled after the hype that PT generated.

Hype? Means less than NOTHING to these sort of companies.

Now revenue? If PT was a priced product and had sold a buttload, a Silent Hills would possibly still be on the cards, but with Kojima's departure, probably Del Toro's too since he's friends with Kojima, there's little chance of Silent Hills happening.

Neff

KojiPro was actually going to develop Silent Hills. It's just that Kojima was unlikely to be the director. He wasn't even listed among the credits for P.T. That came from others at KojiPro.

If that's the case then I could see new staff being hired to pick up the pieces. Of course, they'd have to have already made a substantial bulk of the game for it to be worth it, and sadly we don't know how much progress has been made.

Doesn't bode well if Kojima's taken the majority of the Silent Hills team with him, though.

GrayChild

To quote my post from a previous topic:

As far as I can see it there are several options for this game:

1. Kojima finishes his directorial duties on it before parting Konami forever.

2. Another director takes his place, probably someone from the more experienced staff from KojiPro left in Konami after the studio disbands.

3. Konami outsources this game to a 3rd rate western developer.

4. The whole project gets canned.

I don't believe Konami would can the game just like that. The interest is huge, especially after the success of P.T. Also, it appears they already paid a huge amount of cash for Del Toro and Reedus, so I believe that they will continue with the development of the game, unless the project is really, and I mean really in early conceptual stages.

For me the most probable option is another director taking over in case Kojima drops the project.

I believe Gozo Kitao (who was in charge of Silent Hill 3) is still in Konami, so I'll be very glad if he takes control. I'm not sure what happened with Suguru Murakoshi (the director and script writer of SH4), but I'll be stoked if he takes another shot as well. And of course, bring back Owaku!

But that's just wild guesses. At this point I only hope that we see another internally developed Silent Hill game.

Oh, and whatever they do, I hope they won't give this game to Climax. The single worst thing that has happened to the franchise is Sam Barlow and his atrocious script writing.

Darkangel

Uh oh, looks like Konami might have to move some Team Silent members out of the mobile games division! Oh wait, they would never do that!

If they decide to start a new project I wouldn't mind Climax UK getting another shot. They weren't really responsible for Origins (that was Climax USA's fuck up) and Shattered Memories had a very satisfying narrative. If they could combine their writing skills with the traditional Silent Hill vibe of Origins then I think they would have themselves a pretty good game. Konami needs to let the Silent Hill devs actually learn and improve instead of replacing them after every release.

I'm still hoping the Kojima Productions can finish Silent Hills though...

It was my last hope at a good Silent Hill since SH4. And a potential new big title to create a new wave of survival horror since Amnesia.

P.T showed so much potential, I wasn't as much phased by it as many claim, but I appreciated that even in a 'teaser demo' there was a self-contained backstory that wasn't all up in your face. Ah. I really have to give up on any expectations now, even if GDT is still part of the deal. It already feels like it'll just enter a development hell since this Kojima incident. ):

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
To quote my post from a previous topic:

I don't believe Konami would can the game just like that. The interest is huge, especially after the success of P.T. Also, it appears they already paid a huge amount of cash for Del Toro and Reedus, so I believe that they will continue with the development of the game, unless the project is really, and I mean really in early conceptual stages.

For me the most probable option is another director taking over in case Kojima drops the project.

I believe Gozo Kitao (who was in charge of Silent Hill 3) is still in Konami, so I'll be very glad if he takes control. I'm not sure what happened with Suguru Murakoshi (the director and script writer of SH4), but I'll be stoked if he takes another shot as well. And of course, bring back Owaku!

But that's just wild guesses. At this point I only hope that we see another internally developed Silent Hill game.

Oh, and whatever they do, I hope they won't give this game to Climax. The single worst thing that has happened to the franchise is Sam Barlow and his atrocious script writing.

Nobody would have ever thought that Kojima was going to be essentially kicked out of Konami, yet they did it, so I kinda doubt they'll have the sense to bring back people from previous games (after they hired western devs because they wanted to change up the franchise).

It would be great, but it won't happen.

Mr. RHC

naBRtbN.gif

You have coined a new term!

Condemned

Banned
I really hope Kojima is still working on Silent Hills. But the silence from both Konami and Kojima about the matter doesnt leave me with much hope.

Has Konami said anything at all about Silent Hills since this all started?

Bizzquik

It's cancelled I think. But Kojima will make a very similar horror game with the same team.

I think you're spot-on.

Most of us were interested in the game because of the talent of the people making it. And that won't change.

New name and new lore. But the strong, favorable reaction to PT means that Kojima & Co know there is money to be made by them making a horror game.

Who knows....now unshackled by Konami, we might get something even better. And that would be the ultimate kiss-off to Konami. :)

I think you're spot-on.

Most of us were interested in the game because of the talent of the people making it. And that won't change.

New name and new lore. But the strong, favorable reaction to PT means that Kojima & Co know there is money to be made by them making a horror game.

Who knows....now unshackled by Konami, we might get something even better. And that would be the ultimate kiss-off to Konami. :)

Yeah I honestly don't care about the games relation to Silent Hill, I just want a horror game made by Kojima to the tone of PT.
Call if Bubble Gum Balloon Party for all I care, I want it.

Konami will get the cheapest 3rd party western dev they can afford and have them develop it, same thing they've been doing with the SH series for years (KJ Productions developing it was the change we needed).

I'm amazed so many people thought Kojima was actually working on this game. Why? He had nothing to do with PT and was already hard at work on MGSV.

I'd bet that Silent Hills is still in development, just at "Konami Production Division 3" (or whichever), not Kojima Productions. My hope from the beginning was that Nakazawa (SH3 director) and all the other remaining Team Silent staff that were folded into KojiPro were brought back together to work on it.

Kojima had his name on Castlevania Lords of Shadows and to this day its never been said what exactly his involvement with that project was not to mention the fact that it wasn't even that great and the sequel was atrocious and killed the franchise.

Kojima had his name on Castlevania Lords of Shadows and to this day its never been said what exactly his involvement with that project was not to mention the fact that it wasn't even that great and the sequel was atrocious and killed the franchise.

Wow what a meaningless post.

RK128

The game is going to be either of the following two things:
-Canned and scrapped X(. It will be what I call "the Mega Man effect"; all projects Kojima was working on before his departure is going to be canned out of Konami's spite :(.
-The game is going to be heavily re-done; it will be a very different game then what P.T. presented to us :l. Could it be done well or the original vision being only a 'sector' hovering around a carcass of a game...

That is my two sense on this :l. Lets look at this another way; we got the original vision through the P.T. demo, so at least we got a peak into Kojima's vision :'). That is a lot more then I can say about what happened to Legends 3 (sorry, bitter about that X().

Epcott

If it's canceled, after all the public positivity they've received from P.T., Konami should feel pretty dumb if this is so.

noqtic

Do we know how far along Silent Hills is?

If most of the game is complete or near completion nene kojima departing won't make that big of an impact.

Silent Hill is fucking cursed.

Now that they finally got an excellent team again to make a new entry, paired with a capable horror movie director and a very good actor, after releasing a playable teaser loved by everyone...this happens.

why

Tainted

Do we know how far along Silent Hills is?

If most of the game is complete or near completion nene kojima departing won't make that big of an impact.

I'm sure there was a trailer for it released recently...I remember watching it. It looked like the same tech behind P.T. and looked great.

Re the thread topic....we didnt actually know P.T. was advertising Silent Hills until the very end...so he could just take that tech/setting/<hopefully Norman Reedus> someplace else and make the same game which was teased before.

-edit- This is the trailer I was thinking of. The TGS 14 one (so not that recent)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k12_CbEyS94

Can only hope Kojima and del toro work on there own brand new horror ip influenced by lovecraft because silent hills is dead and with their poor recent track record of putting out sub par silent hills games it's unlikely to sell well.

Top Bottom