• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidetaka Miyazaki asks Fumito Ueda

sublimit

Banned
Searched but didn't find this little Q&A by Miyazaki and Ueda.Sorry if old.

Since your own work has been so heavily influenced by Fumito Ueda, if you could ask him anything, what would you ask?

Hidetaka Miyazaki: Yikes, that makes me nervous just thinking about it. As those close to me already know, I'm a huge fan of Mr. Ueda. I really wouldn't be able to avoid asking questions from the perspective of a fan, so I'd need your understanding in that respect. Hmm, what can I say? If I were 30 years old and just starting out, I'd ask him to comment on what he believes is the core attraction of his work. The experience of playing an Ueda game is very special, and I'd be interested if he can objectively consider the uniqueness of his masterful direction style. I know he comes from an animation background. So, did these games have to have animation that made them feel life-like or so they'd feel like something you could really understand? Or was it the main game theme, or something else? What was in his soul or in his mind when he made these games that he knew had to be included, and done "just right" for that game to be successful for him as a creator. I'll be very surprised if he answers this question. He'll probably be mad at me.

Fumito Ueda: Every game I’ve directed has started with a set of core qualities in mind, but these qualities change with every project. It may be 'motion' or new mechanic developments in how we interact in the game. These can be affected by the industry trends and advancing technology at the time of development. I also strive to polish every aspect of the game. But, I think the thing that I really cannot control or alter – and is sometimes overwhelming to me – is maintaining the consistency and elegance of the entire project.

If you could define the core quality of Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and The Last Guardian in a few words each, what would they be?

If I had to describe the keywords for each of these games, I would say...
Ico: Holding hands, girl, crime, protect, eroticism.
Shadow of the Colossus: Clinging, enormous enemy, punishment, battle, violence.
The Last Guardian: Affection, gigantic friend, pardon, friends, comfort.

How does it feel to know that Ico was the game that made Miyazaki become a game maker?

I’m greatly honored by this because he is one of the few game designers that creates concepts that can only be expressed through the medium of video games. Ico was the first game that I directed, so there are a lot of shortcomings in it, but it’s still the most memorable for me.

http://www.glixel.com/news/soul-mates-the-last-guardian-director-and-dark-souls-creator-w454164

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
From Software x Ueda

yes please

Emarv

We definitely need more developer round table discussions. Just hearing the two of them discuss each other is a joy.

Cornbread78

Where's that censored anime gif of people holding hands haha

Screw that, I'll post it raw and uncensored:

tumblr_nw8ev1SNep1ufj60ho1_500.gif

from the anime that has made grown men cry for years....(My personal favorite as well)

ICO and eroticism... wtf?!

In a way it does make sense and we have to keep on mind this is translated from a different language some the meaning and wording is probably bent a bit. As a child holding hands and leading them around does give a sense of power, reliance, and volition over someone, many children try to grab hands and lead people to where they want. In the case of Ico, it is between a boy and girl, and it is a physical intimacy between them, like how kids want to hold hands with someone they have a crush on. Not only that but the boy in this case is the one who is needed and relied on. It is not full on sexual in nature from what I interpret, but the kind of innocent and young love that kids know of.

I’m greatly honored by this because he is one of the few game designers that creates concepts that can only be expressed through the medium of video games...

this definitely is something these 2 have in common. lots of wordless storytelling, as well...

pirata

I bet the use of the term "eroticism" is probably more in the academic sense of the word, meaning "expression of love" or "a relationship based upon love" (erotic coming from the Greek word "eros," love). It doesn't necessarily mean "sexual titillation."

Cornbread78

Which anime is it?

Clannad/ Clannad After Story

It's not your standard "HS" romance story. It starts that was but goes much, much deeper.

Whoah jeez dude nsfw

Too fucking lewd for this forum. Mods please ban.

Sorry, sorry, I told you I couldn't find the censored version, so I let it fly, lol.

Clannad: Aftterstory I believe. Fair warning, it will wrench the heart. Though you have to watch the entire thing to understand it, including the first season/show.

You forum name is perfect for this anime... seriously, lol... An amazing show to watch and experience...

Cornbread78

I bet the use of the term "eroticism" is probably more in the academic sense of the word, meaning "expression of love" or "a relationship based upon love" (erotic coming from the Greek word "eros," love). It doesn't necessarily mean "sexual titillation."

I crossed the definition of "eroticism" and got the below, which would make a ton of sense in translation:

"pleasing symbolism in literature or art"

Rozart

Oh wow. Two of my favourite video game designers/visionaries.

This is great stuff. Thank you, OP. I actually had no idea that ICO was the game that inspired Miyazaki to delve into video game development.

sublimit

Banned
Oh wow. Two of my favourite video game designers/visionaries.

This is great stuff. Thank you, OP. I actually had no idea that ICO was the game that inspired Miyazaki to delve into video game development.

It's strange but when i first played my Asian import copy of Demon's Souls i got a lot of vibes from Ico and SOTC.I remember other people saying the same thing as well.

It all kinda made sense when i learnt (many years later) that Miyazaki is a huge Team Ico fan.

Rozart

It's strange but when i first played my Asian import copy of Demon's Souls i got a lot of vibes from Ico and SOTC.I remember other people saying the same thing as well.

It all kinda made sense when i learnt (many years later) that Miyazaki is a huge Team Ico fan.

I could see the SoTC influences. Ico not so much, haha. Maybe there are inklings of similarities in the strangely ethereal quality of the world that DeS has? Either way, I'm just a little awed that one of favourite games of all time would eventually, in a way, give rise to another.

I could see the SoTC influences. Ico not so much, haha. Maybe there are inklings of similarities in the strangely ethereal quality of the world that DeS has? Either way, I'm just a little awed that one of favourite games of all time would eventually, in a way, give rise to another.
More so in Dark Souls. That game's interconnected world, the shortcuts that would lead you to familar places, seeing a place in the distance and then arriving there later...that's all Ico.

matmanx1

I wasn't very far into my import copy of Demon's Souls that I started to get a very "Ico/SotC" vibe from the way that the game world felt desolate but also beautiful in its own way. There was no question in my mind that the Souls games were inspired, at least in some small way, by the brilliance of Ico and SotC.

RexNovis

Banned
This
How does it feel to know that Ico was the game that made Miyazaki become a game maker?

I’m greatly honored by this because he is one of the few game designers that creates concepts that can only be expressed through the medium of video games. Ico was the first game that I directed, so there are a lot of shortcomings in it, but it’s still the most memorable for me.

has got to have Miyazaki over the moon. That's one of the truest and most sincere compliments he's ever been given and it's from his industry hero/idol.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
My first question to Ueda would be

"When did you discover the secret to eternal youth, and why won't you share it?"

The man is 46 and does not have a single wrinkle.

More so in Dark Souls. That game's interconnected world, the shortcuts that would lead you to familar places, seeing a place in the distance and then arriving there later...that's all Ico.

The bolded is present in Demon's Souls as well though on a smaller intra-archstone scale.

And there are plenty of other things Souls games have in common with Team Ico games as well. Environmental storytelling. Lack of ambient music to create a sense of isolation through the ever present ambient environmental noises, with music reserved for climactic moments. Ludonarrative congruence, although it is used to express different things. In Ico games typically to express friendship or bonding, while in Souls games to express hopelessness, dread and repetition

Good read, thanks OP. TLG definitely has a sense of place like Souls games. The world's feel eerily similar.

TLG btw is fantastic so far, it's probably the most beautiful game ever made. One of the only games that gave me slight vertigo.

sublimit

Banned

I could see the Ico influences in Boletaria with its atmosphere and shortcuts,even the castle aesthetics reminded me of a more oppressive version of Ico's castle.
Shrine of Storms on the other hand gave me more of a SOTC feeling with its desaturated color palette,ruined castles,the huge Mantas flying in the skies and later,with the epic,puzzle-based (although a bit gimmicky) Storm King battle with the equally epic music playing in the background.

You can see strokes of ueda in miyazaki in his story telling as well as the simplicity of the gameplay. Difficulty in enemies sure but the mechanics themselves are very simple.

UrbanRats

This has to be spelled out... i blame videogames and anime.

NateDog

This is one of the first things I noticed upon finishibg ICO (which I did after Dark Souls). The sense of isolation defined in the world of DkS is so clearly inspired from ICO among other things. It's one of the few times upon playing a classic I could instantly see how many games had taken huge inspiration from it.

Top Bottom