• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High end gaming and max cable length is a serious problem

Melubas

And I never thought I would have to deal with it like this. I have a 1080 ti PC connected to a 4k tv with HDR and a 1440p 144hz monitor. The maximum length for the HDMI cable to get 4k 60 fps is three meters. The maximum for the displayport cable to get 1440 144hz is two meters. I can no longer have the computer and TV at different ends of the living room, instead having to plan a complete remodeling of my furniture to solve this. In the meantime I have to move the computer back and forth depending on what screen I want to use. I realise this is a hardware limitation but it's still extremely annoying and something I had no idea I would have to deal with. I feel it is something that should be advertised since some people will not be able to solve it due to family living conditions and the likes. Is this common knowledge and I'm just bad at looking these things up?

I_D

You should be able to buy "high speed" cables which can support increased lengths, which might solve your issue.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0095ZCEG4/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I don't know how reliable they are, but quick Googling seems to indicate they actually do what they claim to do.

It's a fairly niche issue, so I'd assume most people don't know about it. I'm dealing with the exact same problem, though. I want to run an HDMI cable underneath the floor to a projector in the wall/ceiling, but the length of the cable is causing me to rethink the room layout.

Last edited:

Parapraxis

You need a fiber optic HDMI cable. I ran into the same issue. They are very expensive though
That seems excessive and I really don't think it's necessary. Sounds like a bunch of marketing mumbo jumbo to me.
https://www.startech.com/ca/Cables/...e-Optical-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-30m~HDMM30MAO

Please explain why this cable wouldn't work.

https://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-Rugged-High-Speed-Cable/dp/B003XM73P2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1516193630&sr=8-4&keywords=15+Feet)+for+4K+Ultra+HD,+3D+Video&th=1

Last edited:

Melubas

Many cables are marketed as having a certain bandwidth but in reality it's more or less a gamble. I originally bought a five meter high speed premium hdmi cable that was supposed to be able to handle 4k 60 fps but the picture kept losing signal due to it not being able to handle the bandwidth. After talking to many retailers that specialize in this stuff they've told me that you either have to get a special fiber optic cable that is silly expensive or just keep buying cables until eventually one maybe works with that length. From what I understand not even the fiber optic ones work all the time.

Edit: Looking at that first Cable you link I see that they wrote "up to 30 meters with no signal loss", which is a sure indication they can't guarantee it will work. I have a hard time believing a 30m hdmi cable will support 4k 60 fps no matter how expensive.

Last edited:

Actual

People have great solutions here, but no one really addressed the initial post. This is something that isn't clearly communicated and isn't easily understood. I recently bought a 4K HDR TV and at first, my Xbox One was fine, but my PS4 was not displaying HDR. My first thought was to troubleshoot the cabling by swapping the Xbox cable with the PS4 cable. That didn't work. The Xbox was still working fine and the PS4 was still not displaying HDR.

It turns out, it was a third cable, the one connected from my AV receiver to my TV that was too long/too slow. It was enough for the Xbox, but not the PS4. Thankfully, I had plenty of spare cables to try, but it's still an unpleasant experience. I really wish that cables were better labelled to indicate their performance and limitations...

Top Bottom