• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High hopes for unique artstyles this gen?

sn00zer

I think we are reaching a point where games that strive for realism are starting to look the same, especially in the sports and driving genre. So Im hoping that this means we are going to see a divergent of artstyles with games... honestly Im hoping to see some truly crazy looking games this gen, because at this point the jump from concept to onscreen graphics is getting smaller and smaller.

Would love to see some games that look like paintings or have truly unique environments and visuals that cant be defined as either cartoony or realistic
http://imgur.com/a/acIZH
p2ULryD.jpg

yrsihvX.jpg

OopwNgg.jpg

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The ever-increasing embrace of indies, the ease of development, and hopefully the return of the mid-tier budget game will all increase diversity and creativity in art styles. The sameness of all the photorealistic games that you point out might also be a driving force, but I think the factors I propose are more important.

To put it another way, lots of devs have probably wanted to make more creative looking games but financial barriers prevent it. Those barriers are being addressed to some degree this generation, allowing devs' latent desires to be more frequently expressed.

I want ridiculously awesome pixelwork ala kof13 to be pushed further, and more use of cel shading similar to xrd. Also more stuff like what we saw in the lily bergamo teaser.

sublimit

Banned
I just hope there will be some games that cover the vast middle ground between boring hollywood photorealistic games and pretendiously artsie indie games.

Unfortunatelly with the death of the good B-tier studios this doesn't seem very likely (with a few exceptions).

sn00zer

The ever-increasing embrace of indies, the ease of development, and hopefully the return of the mid-tier budget game will all increase diversity and creativity in art styles. The sameness of all the photorealistic games that you point out might also be a driving force, but I think the factors I propose are more important.

To put it another way, lots of devs have probably wanted to make more creative looking games but financial barriers prevent it. Those barriers are being addressed to some degree this generation, allowing devs' latent desires to be more frequently expressed.

I just hope indies can get their head out of everything must be pixelatted and retro

Regardless of how you feel about the actual game DmC had one of the most striking artstyles this gen

New%20DmC%20Screenshots%20demonstrate%20Dante%20laying%20down%20the%20law%20(1).jpg

dmc-1_0.jpg

Servbot24

Banned
There will definitely be lots of great art this gen. The artists keep getting better, and realistic graphics do not make you stand out anymore.

^^ Oh yeah, Ninja Theory did a great job with the environments. Too bad the character models are all sorts of awful.

But games like Rime and The Witness are showing promise for unique styles, so hopefully we get more of that.

sn00zer

^^ Oh yeah, Ninja Theory did a great job with the environments. Too bad the character models are all sorts of awful.

But games like Rime and The Witness are showing promise for unique styles, so hopefully we get more of that.
Dante was actually a really good design if you can separate it from old Dante...I will agree though with the other character....although technically the models were very well done

The closer we get to "Photo realism" the more common alternative art styles will become. I would say it's safe bet we'll see plenty of unique titles with great art. If not simply for games with higher performance on multiple systems beyond just consoles. Not to mention the explosion of popularity in the indie market.

I don't think mid-tier studios are dead. I think the most expensive indie studios are the new B tier.
Look at State of Decay! Is it AAA? No. But it's ambitious like one!

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really enjoying the simplistic(?) 3D worlds that a couple of indie games adapted:

2013-08-30_00004m4foc.jpg

Shelter

mirrormoon_yum-pngfxsxr.jpg

MirrorMoon EP

014zsstf.jpg

Proteus

teaser2udsfu.jpg

Fract

mojang-noth-c39fx10cnwsqv.png

Also, notch's canceled space game had this low-poly style

Top Bottom