• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High on Life DLC makes fun of God of War Ragnarok's puzzles

Draugoth

Gold Member
We recently had the release of High on Knife, the DLC for the comic shooter High on Life. Just like the base game, this expansion made fun of several other media products, and one of the targets was Santa Monica's recent God of War Ragnarok.

When God of War Ragnarok launched, many players stated that companions ended up giving away a lot of the puzzle resolutions and High on Life decided to make fun of this. In one of High on Knife's scenes, the suit's AI quickly delivers the solution to the puzzle, referring to itself as a "little God of War-style hint" and even referring to itself as Atreus.

Hey! This is Suit-O. I'll go ahead and give a little tip in the style of God of War, which already gives away the entire puzzle. Go ahead and throw those parasites at Toxxo and it will give you life to heal, and you can stay in the tub longer. What did you think of that? Atreus leaving. I am just kidding. Haha ha!

In the past, David Jaffe himself, creator of the God of War franchise, had criticized Ragnarok's puzzles. According to Jaffe, "they went too far", insisting on always telling the player what to do.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

God Of War Atreus GIF by Santa Monica Studio

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Oh cool I didn’t even know this got DLC. Is it included in Game Pass? Oh also, what did they do about Justin Rolland’s voices in this game?

Kuranghi

I forgot Ragnarok existed, not sure what to do with my disc for it, coaster I suppose. What a let down! I was so fucking bored whether the combat was hard or easy, I just didnt give a crap about the story they were trying to tell, it was like a Metal Gear Solid game but you dislike the characters and want them to stop talking after 10 seconds.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
>I'm gonna go ahead and give you a God of War-style tip that just gives the whole puzzle away.

And they make a High on Life-style joke that just gives the whole "joke" away.

Brilliant. And people know my disdain for Ragnarok.

acm2000

i was going to get this until i read its only 2 hours long, will wait till its cheap in a sale, shame cause i loved the game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
GOW R is the that rated “M” but treats you like toddler even outside of the puzzles. Did you how many fucking times the characters repeat that you have to hit the head when it shines every fucking time you fight phantom boss?

Buggy Loop

And deserved

This is from review thread

Puzzling platforming – Navigating the realms requires clever use of Kratos’ implements. In one instance I needed to move a pillar blocking the path. This required me to first toss the Leviathan Axe to shatter a log bracing the pillar down, then brandish the Blades of Chaos to wrangle the pillar from the path.

Game journalists..

sMiv5j.png

Dynasty8

I'm usually not picky, but I swear Sony Santa Monica dropped the ball so hard by adding these ridiculous and forced hints that you CAN'T turn off. It went beyond annoying and actually ruined the game in a big way for me.

Imagine watching a movie for the first time and wanting to enjoy it, but always having that annoying person in the backseat yelling what's coming next before your eyes can even process it. This happened non stop and I really wish we could turn it off.

Metnut

I didn’t really have an issue with the forced hints. It rarely happened.

Bigger issue was that many of the puzzles were so obtuse I was clueless at what to do.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Nice. I absolutely loved God of War Ragnarok too. But man, there were times when I set my controller down to get a drink and who ever was with me had solved the puzzle before I got back to my couch.

Phase

Game is not wrong.

It is laughable that Ragnarök gave you solution faster then I could look around and try to solve it myself. It was ridiculous
Characters should just never talk during straight gameplay. It's always annoying and takes you out of the state of immersion. It also takes away any satisfaction from solving the problem at hand.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Nailed it.

I'll never forget when I was fighting the dragon who lands on the three pillers and you have to throw the spear to deatroy them....I'd already destroyed one and the dragon landed on the second and within two seconds atreus was shouting something along the lines of "we've got to get it off that piller...use something to destroy the piller" something like that...

I literally shouted at my tv...I KNOW YOU LITTLE SHIT IVE DONE IT ONCE ALREADY....

ahhhh 10/10 game...masterpiece

wvnative

that's great. I don't even care if a game helps me if it's taking a long time but god of war was absolutely stupid.

Kokoloko85

I forgot Ragnarok existed, not sure what to do with my disc for it, coaster I suppose. What a let down! I was so fucking bored whether the combat was hard or easy, I just didnt give a crap about the story they were trying to tell, it was like a Metal Gear Solid game but you dislike the characters and want them to stop talking after 10 seconds.
I loved it. Voice acting was top notch compared to most games. Combat was better than most games too.
How can anyone not like the squirrels…

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
This is why GoW original trilogy is so much better IMO. Challenging platforming sections >>> busy work puzzles and slow walk/chats to break up the action.

Kuranghi

I loved it. Voice acting was top notch compared to most games. Combat was better than most games too.
How can anyone not like the squirrels…

I really wish I did pal, agree on VA being amazing, top 10 or even top 5 performances in games. I think I just don't like that style of combat personally these days.

The squirrel WAS great haha. Maybe I should give it another go... thanks for replying politely in the face of my mega-negativity 💪

GymWolf

I was able to finish God of War but I raged quit Cocoon.
A little puzzle game has been more of a challenge for me.
I'm kinda shit at puzzles so i don't buy pure puzzle games to begin with.

And i would be mad if a gow game had extremely hard puzzles, they are there to break the rythm between combat and more scripted moments, i don't mind them, but i'm not gonna judge people who want hard puzzles in their games, it's a matter of preference.

marjo

I'm usually not picky, but I swear Sony Santa Monica dropped the ball so hard by adding these ridiculous and forced hints that you CAN'T turn off. It went beyond annoying and actually ruined the game in a big way for me.

Imagine watching a movie for the first time and wanting to enjoy it, but always having that annoying person in the backseat yelling what's coming next before your eyes can even process it. This happened non stop and I really wish we could turn it off.
My theory is they implemented the hints after focus testing with a group of morons, saw how they weren't making progress 'fast enough ' to maintain engagement, and decided to make the game accessible to the lowest common denominator.

Dynasty8

I beat the on hardest difficulty and even beating the optional boss Gna.....not really, especially compare to other games who doesn't treat me like idiot.

C'mon man. I agree with the puzzle hand holding being disappointing, but playing the game on GMGoW difficulty added a decent and fun challenge.

Last edited:
I'm kinda shit at puzzles so i don't buy pure puzzle games to begin with.

And i would be mad if a gow game had extremely hard puzzles, they are there to break the rythm between combat and more scripted moments, i don't mind them, but i'm not gonna judge people who want hard puzzles in their games, it's a matter of preference.
I was mad at Cocoon because I wanted a puzzle game not boss battles, where was the little kid character to solve the bosses for me in Cocoon?

I watched some playthrough. The new female Kenny is dull, no life to the character at all. To bad they didn't get Justin back.

It did look interesting, knifey was fun, will get it later.

Top Bottom