• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary: Must elect "a president with a deep, personal commitment to Israel’s future"

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
http://time.com/4265947/hillary-clinton-aipac-speech-transcript/
Now, all of this work defending Israel’s legitimacy, expanding security and economic ties, taking our alliance to the next level depends on electing a president with a deep, personal commitment to Israel’s future as a secure, Democratic Jewish state, and to America’s responsibilities as a global leader.

I know that all of you understand what’s at stake in this election. Our next president will walk into the Oval Office next January and immediately face a world of both perils we must meet with strength and skill, and opportunities we must seize and build on.

The next president will sit down at that desk and start making decisions that will affect both the lives and livelihoods of every American, and the security of our friends around the world. So we have to get this right.

As AIPAC members, you understand that while the turmoil of the Middle East presents enormous challenge and complexity, walking away is not an option.

Candidates for president who think the United States can outsource Middle East security to dictators, or that America no longer has vital national interests at stake in this region are dangerously wrong.

It would be a serious mistake for the United States to abandon our responsibilities, or cede the mantle of leadership for global peace and security to anyone else.

As we gather here, three evolving threats — Iran’s continued aggression, a rising tide of extremism across a wide arc of instability, and the growing effort to de-legitimize Israel on the world stage — are converging to make the U.S.-Israel alliance more indispensable than ever.

We have to combat all these trends with even more intense security and diplomatic cooperation. The United States and Israel must be closer than ever, stronger than ever and more determined than ever to prevail against our common adversaries and to advance our shared values.
And Palestinian leaders need to stop inciting violence, stop celebrating terrorists as martyrs and stop paying rewards to their families.
That will also send a clear message to Israel’s enemies that the United States and Israel stand together united.

It’s also why, as president, I will make a firm commitment to ensure Israel maintains its qualitative military edge.

The United States should provide Israel with the most sophisticated defense technology so it can deter and stop any threats.
That includes bolstering Israeli missile defenses with new systems like the Arrow Three and David’s Sling. And we should work together to develop better tunnel detection, technology to prevent armed smuggling, kidnapping and terrorist attacks.

One of the first things I’ll do in office is invite the Israeli prime minister to visit the White House.

And I will send a delegation from the Pentagon and the joint chiefs to Israel for early consultations. Let’s also expand our collaboration beyond security. Together, we can build an even more vibrant culture of innovation that tightens the links between Silicon Valley and Israeli tech companies and entrepreneurs.
Many of the young people here today are on the front lines of the battle to oppose the alarming boycott, divestment and sanctions movement known as BDS.

Particularly at a time when anti-Semitism is on the rise across the world, especially in Europe, we must repudiate all efforts to malign, isolate and undermine Israel and the Jewish people.

I’ve been sounding the alarm for a while now.
As I wrote last year in a letter to the heads of major American Jewish organizations, we have to be united in fighting back against BDS. Many of its proponents have demonized Israeli scientists and intellectuals, even students.
Tonight, you’ll hear from candidates with very different visions of American leadership in the region and around the world. You’ll get a glimpse of a potential U.S. foreign policy that would insult our allies, not engage them, and embolden our adversaries, not defeat them.

For the security of Israel and the world, we need America to remain a respected global leader, committed to defending and advancing the international order.

An America able to block efforts to isolate or attack Israel. The alternative is unthinkable.

Yes, we need steady hands, not a president who says he’s neutral on Monday, pro-Israel on Tuesday, and who knows what on Wednesday, because everything’s negotiable.

Well, my friends, Israel’s security is non-negotiable.
And anyone who doesn’t understand that has no business being our president.
We cannot forget that Tehran’s fingerprints are on nearly every conflict across the Middle East, from Syria to Lebanon to Yemen.

The Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps and its proxies are attempting to establish a position on the Golan from which to threaten Israel, and they continue to fund Palestinian terrorists. In Lebanon, Hezbollah is amassing an arsenal of increasingly sophisticated rockets and artillery that well may be able to hit every city in Israel.

Tonight, you will hear a lot of rhetoric from the other candidates about Iran, but there’s a big difference between talking about holding Tehran accountable and actually doing it. Our next president has to be able to hold together our global coalition and impose real consequences for even the smallest violations of this agreement.

We must maintain the legal and diplomatic architecture to turn all the sanctions back on if need.
Iranian provocations, like the recent ballistic missile tests, are also unacceptable and should be answered firmly and quickly including with more sanctions.

Those missiles were stamped with words declaring, and I quote, “Israel should be wiped from the pages of history.”
We know they could reach Israel or hit the tens of thousands of American troops stationed in the Middle East. This is a serious danger and it demands a serious response.

Meanwhile, one of Trump's foreign policy adviser's credentials:
CeGpLLjW4AAqa2v.jpg

G.ZZZ

I'd seriously prefer Trump if i was sure he would stop the aggressive foreign policy of the US. Killing thousands and ruining the life of millions isn't worth the well being of the american people or a stupid wall . I can't say how much i hate their foreign policy in words. Obama seemed to step it down a little but this read like a disaster

Ri'Orius

Our next president has to be able to hold together our global coalition and impose real consequences for even the smallest violations of this agreement.
Can we apply this bit to Israel, too?

orochi91

I feel filthy reading all of that drivel.

She will likely torpedo US-Iranian relationship once she's president.

And Palestinian leaders need to stop inciting violence, stop celebrating terrorists as martyrs and stop paying rewards to their families.

Yea, her and Bibi are gonna do wonders for the Palestine/Israel conflict.

/s

Risette

A Good Citizen
I don't like this at all but Sanders is pretty pro-Israel too, so I can't really get too upset at Hillary.

This is a US politics problem, not a Hillary problem.

Mimosa97

So basically she's attacking Obama ?

Those AIPAC speeches sound all the same anyway. Nothing new here. I don't know why you people are getting all riled up over this.

Without American support, Israel as a nation collapses. They're practically an unrecognized State in the Union w/ unrecognized nuclear weapons.

This is a myth.

orochi91

We cannot forget that Tehran’s fingerprints are on nearly every conflict across the Middle East, from Syria to Lebanon to Yemen.

???

As opposed to Western/US fingerprints on those very same conflicts?

Is she much different than Obama on these issues?

I don't think Obama would say otherwise. But at the same time, I think he's clearly frustrated with the way Israel operates.

a president with a deep, personal commitment to Israel’s future as a secure, Democratic Jewish state

At first I thought, this was not necessarily too bad. Being for an Israeli state that is both Jewish and democratic means being for a two-state solution. So, at the moment, the Israeli government does not have a commitment to Israel’s future as a secure, Democratic Jewish state.

Unfortunately, that statement just kept going :(

Those AIPAC speeches sound all the same anyway. Nothing new here. I don't know why you people are getting all riled up over this.

This is a myth.

Hardly, she was SoS when the Iran deal was being written up, it's just as much her deal as is Obama's/Kerry's

You just need to speak with a specific tone in an event like this, she's pandering, her policy is going to be similar to Obama, just with a little less cold shoulder.

GnawtyDog

Banned

This is a myth.

As is the myth that the state can survive without a patron like the U.S. I guess nuking everyone around them...but that's just eventual destruction too.

G.ZZZ

sorry Palestine, i feel for ya but i gotta worry about the people in danger in the US first.

Disgusting, in the end everyone care only about themselves. You americans can fight against your governments, poor people on the other side of the world with to nothing can't defend themselves from the bombs and weapons of the US.

I'm leaving it here because this shit make so fu******* mad

nib95

Banned
Eurgh. Disappointing but not surprising. Hillary is status quo in almost every regard, as long as it's politically sound for her of course. Depressing that she's the one who's likely going to be president when America actually had a fair chance to vote someone anti establishment and properly left wing.

commedieu

Banned
Fuck off. Seriously.

Let someone else waste their taxes on Israels bulldozers.

America sure could use that 3+billion here in education and healthcare. Instead of an allowance for israel.

This is a prime example of what liberals have to deal with. It's the compromise. Sigh.. not like I thought we wouldn't continue supporting a 1 sided fight. But still don't like it.

T'Zariah

Banned
Is this the first election you all have paid attention too? There's no way in hell anyone should be surprised at this. 99% of congress sucks Israel dick

Is this the first election you all have paid attention too? There's no way in hell anyone should be surprised at this. 99% of congress sucks Israel dick

Lets hope that Hillary is simply posturing to get that support and wont go through her Israel stance.

I seriously dont get why some politicians have a hard on for Israel

commedieu

Banned
Lets hope that Hillary is simply posturing to get that support and wont go through her Israel stance.

I seriously dont get why some politicians have a hard on for Israel

It does nothing but puts targets on americans backs. Such a waste of money. They can do it on their own.

Afterall, they are the chosen ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom