• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hindsight is 20/20: Driveclub

I think it's been supported admirably. It turned into a great game. Love playing it with a controller different story with a wheel though. I much prefer project cars when using my wheel

dr guildo

Those pretty much sum up my feelings as well.

Also, the fact that the comments are so polarising is a sure sign that the game is special. Not for everyone obviously, but those that "get" it will get immense value and enjoyment out of it.

This is exactly my feelings.The game is about full love or full hate.

My favourite racer this gen until Assetto Corsa arrived.

But then Drive Club VR turned up and now that's my favourite racer this gen.

Sorry to go off-topic but you have me curious: Did you also play Project Cars? I wonder how Assetto Corsa compares to PC.

oneils

¡HarlequinPanic!;232492930 said:
I hear it's the biggest racing IP in the world atm.

What does this mean? The most played or most well known? Or are there buyers lining up to buy it?

-Amon-

Beautiful game, great simcade phisics.

My only gripe is with the bikes handling.

Perfect apart from that.

Synth

I was over exagerrating the thing, I agree, because when you compare the feeling of the handling in a game like Daytona (150% arcade) vs DC handling (50%arcade - 50%sim), it is the way it feels...
Daytona is very simple to master, there is no nuance in the way of breaking, SegaRally was more subtle in that context... I don't even compare it to F355 challenge which is the most difficult to master...

There's "over exaggerating", and there's straight up fallacy.

The argument that Daytona is a simple case of turning the wheel in the correct direction and letting off the gas, describes Daytona USA less than nearly any other racer in existence. If anything that description applies far more to basically any simcade racer (including Driveclub, Forza Horizon, Project Gotham, etc), because whereas in each of those the entry speed and racing line are the main factors of taking a corner successfully, Daytona USA actually requires the player learn the mechanics, because simply slowing down isn't enough, even at the beginner/intermediate level. Basically... if Daytona USA had a racing line, the average player would be just as fucked with it as they are without it (and I know how bad people are... I've been playing it online today).

Similarly to when you were arguing graphics in that next-gen graphics thread, you seem to measure things primarily against their attempts to approximate realism. Daytona is all about nuance and finesse, far more than any Sega Rally is. I would probably agree with you if we were talking about Outrun 2 or Ridge Racer Type 4, but Daytona USA demands serious precision to be at all competitive. It's actually one of the few games where a lack of finesse is clearly visible at pretty much all times.

If we were to both play both Driveclub and Daytona USA right now in time trial, I'd bet that both our runs would look far closer to this, than either would resemble this. And this is one of three tracks in a game I've been playing on and off for two decades.

Shaneus

To each his own of course, but I'm always baffled when people call DriveClub boring or dull. Wonder if those people played the same game as me, cause driving a Super or Hyper car on and over the limit at 300+ km/h in the pouring rain has been as exciting as a racing game can be for me. The sense of speed combined with the visuals and tight controls really make me wonder how any racing fan can not like this game.

Oh well. :)
Likewise. But I think people are looking for more gamification of racing/driving titles than merely improving lap times/racing lines etc. Look at Horizon for example, with it's hundreds of different achievements to hit (drifting, speed cameras etc.). DC kind of did this, but didn't do it well enough to capture that audience. It needed more feedback a la PGR4/Kudos, but instead the Driveclub points were actually... well, pointless.
I guess Kudos kind of were too for their time, but they felt more fun to pull off

I wanted a new PGR and I instead got a broken and dull game. Super pretty, though, and it's too bad we won't see a Pro patch.
DC is more PGR than any other game since PGR4. Including the Horizon games.

Wish it was a bit more arcade style. PGR4 perfected the balance​.
I can't argue there. While I loved how DC felt and it was really unique in that regard, I do wish it was a little easier to fang it like it was in PGR4.

16347188171_ca1df30dad_h.jpg

10/10 steelbook art
I still have mine in it's shrinkwrap after I bought it digitally. It really is the prettiest steelbook I've seen.

Edit: PS. The "gameplay is boring" I think is like I said above, stems from not having micro achievements/progress bars going for that feedback loop. When your only motivation is to get a better time around a track with a particular car, it won't last forever. But bombard people with "5 star drift!" and combos etc., they'll come back.

Gaminar

Banned
Probably one of my favorite game of all time. When I say DC is timeless, I mean it. I will never forget the sound of the FXXK or Mclaren P1 GTR going 1 on 1 in Scotland. Or the crazy Speed Lap challenges for the Henessey Venom. Last but not least the tough as hell Apex event for the Ariel Atom.

For those calling this a corridor racer, I guess in real life we still race in "corridors" right? Now please go play your unrealistic shenanigans while I race up my Mclaren F1 in the beautiful vistas of India while it rains in a tea plantation.

I was over exagerrating the thing, I agree, because when you compare the feeling of the handling in a game like Daytona (150% arcade) vs DC handling (50%arcade - 50%sim), it is the way it feels...
Daytona is very simple to master, there is no nuance in the way of breaking, SegaRally was more subtle in that context... I don't even compare it to F355 challenge which is the most difficult to master...
No, just no. This just further makes your previous lashes out at the game embarrassing. I guess you weren't an expert that had played "them all" after all.

ty_hot

Is it worth getting the bikes expansion? I have a feeling that all bikes will handle the same so there isnt much difference in playing with the one freely avaliable and with the other ones...

Gaminar

Banned
Is it worth getting the bikes expansion? I have a feeling that all bikes will handle the same so there isnt much difference in playing with the one freely avaliable and with the other ones...

There are absolutely subtle differences in bike handling.

LevelNth

Banned
Quick question, how does Driveclub work on PSN right now (Canadian store btw)?

I see two options, both say Full Game underneath. One is $7.49 as a PS Plus price, the other has no price. The other says it's not available for purchase due to my account having already purchased a PS Plus membership.

Here's my problem: the description under the $7.49 version states it only has one of the six locations for tracks and a smaller number of cars than the other description states.

Is the $7.49 one a lite version of the game or something? Why can I only purchase that one?

ty_hot

Quick question, how does Driveclub work on PSN right now (Canadian store btw)?

I see two options, both say Full Game underneath. One is $7.49 as a PS Plus price, the other has no price. The other says it's not available for purchase due to my account having already purchased a PS Plus membership.

Here's my problem: the description under the $7.49 version states it only has one of the six locations for tracks and a smaller number of cars than the other description states.

Is the $7.49 one a lite version of the game or something? Why can I only purchase that one?

I think the one that you cant get is the normal one, that has even less content. Then comes the PSPlus edition with a little bit more. The real thing is the game + season pass.

rashbeep

Banned
Good visually (mostly due to the lighting) and you felt the sense of speed. At the same time, I never found the handling very enjoyable, AI was nothing special, tracks/soundtrack were unmemorable, etc.

Became a superb game, and I picked it up after Evolution had largely fixed any issues the game had so I had a blast with it. Unfortunately, as someone else said, you only get one first impression.

There's no rubberbanding in this gamr. Please get your facts straight

What Driveclub doesn't do, and thank god for that, is make rival cars go faster than it's possible to help them catch up with you.

But it has rubber banding the opposite way. When you are last, rivals do go slower so you can catch up with them. It's nice when you are new to the game, and/or you just want get the stars and do something else. But it would have been nice to be able to totally disable the rubberbanding.

Best soft-sim racing game of this gen, and one of the best overall.

I'd kill for a pc version (one can dream) or a proper pro patch.

I only wish it had better ffb on current wheels. Still a ton of fun and a visual marvel.

I know I'll end up buying a psvr just to try this on vr.

Falchion

Sony going all out saying "Forza killer!!" and the horrendous launch killed this game.

I remember one of my primary reasons for buying a PS4 at launch was to get Driveclub for 'free' until we all realized it was going to be a diminished version and then it got delayed a year anyways.

Seiryoden

Hmm, nah I'm gonna disagree. Maybe best supported racer, but even then I'd say FM5&6 got quite a bit, too. Blizzard alone beats DC with Overwatch and D3 support.

Please. They haven't even implemented seasons for the millions of Console owners who bought Diablo 3.

Joe T.

Good visually (mostly due to the lighting) and you felt the sense of speed. At the same time, I never found the handling very enjoyable, AI was nothing special, tracks/soundtrack were unmemorable, etc.

Doesn't the bolded practically cover all games these days, though? It's been a very long time since I was impressed by NPC and/or enemy behavior in a game.

The handling model never felt quite right with me on a DualShock 4. The graphics were on another level but it did seem really sterile...

joecanada

Seemed good for what it offered . I'm not into arcade racers so jumping into my first racer in years and placing first or second in my very first race I knew it wasn't for me . I want brutal sim punishment like gt. You memorize every inch of that track, speed in and out of every corner, gears , everything and you like it !

a real shame evolution got closed down. No more next gen motor storm.

To be honest, I bought this at launch and it had hijinks and I never revisited (except for PSVR demo)

This is exactly my feelings.The game is about full love or full hate.

bingo bongo, with both of you here. I get that this isn't everybody's cup of tea, but if you take a sip and feel that you even KIND of like it then I bet you'd get a lot out of it. It's just a modern PS1 racing game to me.

Top Bottom