• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitbox.tv | Switch from Twitch

Any chance I could get an invite to the GAF group? http://hitbox.tv/smedwicks

Also, can anyone help me with saving archives, I've tried to save stuff as videos on my hitbox, but they're all 00:00 in length, and I'm gonna be losing out on some archives soon unless I figure this out :( Any help would be much appreciated on this.

Makai

I'm getting a lot of stream delay. Are there special settings I need for the instantaneous stream? I don't seem to be getting 60fps either, even though that's what I'm broadcasting at.

Using Open Broadcaster

Twitch has a 60 second delay when typing to the streamer now, so people flock to an awful site to give a slimy guy money? Le sigh.
It's still too early to say if Hitbox will work out to be a decent competitor. Twitch's community is HUGE, and the 60 second delay didn't do much to curb its awesome growth.

It's still too early to say if Hitbox will work out to be a decent competitor. Twitch's community is HUGE, and the 60 second delay didn't do much to curb its awesome growth.

Even on principle it shouldn't matter. This is the same person from Own3d, people should avoid it as a matter of principle. They screwed streamers out of thousands, the streaming community shouldn't be helping them make money.

StayDead

The only reason twitches community is huge is because of dodgy contracts with the larger streamers. They can't leave twitch due to the contract and it means the viewers are stuck watching twitch.

The reason the 60 second delay didn't stop it is because until now there's not really been a better alternative.

Even on principle it shouldn't matter. This is the same person from Own3d, people should avoid it as a matter of principle. They screwed streamers out of thousands, the streaming community shouldn't be helping them make money.

Past tense being the importance here and also twitch have screwed viewers, just because the streamers are happy and making money doesn't mean for viewers and people who are not twitch partners that twitch isn't a terrible, awful service for it's own reasons.

Kiyo

Same guy on the technical side, not the same business guy. Not the same owner.

The streaming community isn't "helping them make money", they're streaming games because they like streaming games, and viewers are watching because they enjoy watching streamed games. Yes there are alternatives, but until sites like Hitbox really start pulling the community over there in droves not much will change.

Don't get me wrong, I think the whole Own3d thing was a fucking fiasco and people should have learned from it, but the internet's memory is sometimes terribly, sadly, short. And so far Hitbox has been a really great alternative to Twitch, and I hope it does take off.

Twitch has a 60 second delay when typing to the streamer now, so people flock to an awful site to give a slimy guy money? Le sigh.

since you couldn't be bothered to read their blog post let me quote it for you.

An introduction to our management

Hi folks!

This is Martin, CEO of hitbox. We have been online now for a few weeks with the beta of hitbox.tv, so I thought it was time to give you more insights into the management and the intentions behind hitbox.tv.

Our CTO, René, is our technical mastermind and has years of experience in the streaming business as he built up the core technology of own3D.tv and managed to create a platform which was considered one of the best at the time and delivered a service for thousands of streamers and millions of viewers. Being a hardcore gamer himself, his goal is to help eSports grow, to bring it in every livingroom not depending on where you are and to make it as big or even bigger than other sports. That was and still is his great vision.

Talking about myself, I bring a lot of financial experience to the table. I was working as a company auditor and as head of controlling in the headquarter of one of the largest financial institutions in Central and Eastern Europe. I was responsible for the whole planning and controlling processes, for the groups strategy and the competitive market analysis.

René and myself have been good friends for a long time. By the end of 2012 he approached me as he saw his life´s work endangered. He asked me to have a look into the figures of own3D and to restructure the company if necessary.

Being an eSports fanatic myself and given the opportunity to work in such a great project, I didn’t hesitate a second and became their CFO. However it didn´t take long to find out that the company was in trouble.

I think you guys know the main reasons why own3D failed. The company didn’t manage to scale its business and to grow with its viewers and size. What exactly does that mean?

Let me put it in simple terms: Having millions of viewers creating massive traffic brings you tons of costs. The company lacked funding and was stuck in bad contracts. That led to cost savings on the employers end and thus to a poor income management.
High costs + low income = a big problem

Given this situation the owners and investors of own3D tried their best to sell the company and to pay out all debts to its customers. We worked days and nights to get that deal done but our main target company surprisingly stepped away after 3 months of negotiations and due diligence. René lost his life´s work and a lot of streamers their money.

However, we still believe in eSports and our vision and just love watching awesome live content, so René and me decided to build up a new live streaming site putting together both technical know-how and business experience right from the get-go.

We believe that competition is good, even if we just give an impulse to the existing players to improve their service.

Still in beta and tons of tasks ahead, we love what we do and hope you give us a chance to prove that we know what we are doing. Having a great investor as partner and a super experienced infrastructure team on board, we are convinced that we can offer you a stable and reliable service, with great usability and some awesome new features.

bjork

I was down with some hardware problems, but I want to stream some stuff now. Got a question, though: is there any way to clear the "game played" field? I wanted to play some stuff that simply isn't listed on there, but it seems like I'll only be able to stream with a title for a different game in place, and I'd rather not if I can help it.

How can we set our streams to have multiple quality options for viewers? Do you have to become a partner like on Twitch? I've been searching for an option that lets me stream at a high bitrate, but have option for viewers who can't run the stream that high.

KyleCross

Semi OT: Is an HDCP stripper necessary in order to capture PS TV footage? I want to get one to stream, but don't have any stripping equipment.

I believe it does in fact have HDCP. But HDMI splitters that bypass it are only about $25. Also some capture cards, while not allowing you to capture or record in their native software, will still feature the signal. So you then simply add your capture card to a third-party program like OBS or Xsplit.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hitbox about to get a big redesign with some new features, to list some of them:

-A Dark Mode for the whole site, with the option to switch to Light Mode
-Twitter feeds on your channel
-Featured livestreams embedded on the hitbox frontpage
-A Personalized frontpage giving easy access to the channels you follow
-Easy to browse through the games currently being livestreamed
-A responsive layout for better mobile experience, including the option to manually resize the chat
-The ability to sort and search through the viewerlist

You can see a preview of the redesign in progress here: http://preview.hitbox.tv/

tci

Hitbox about to get a big redesign with some new features, to list some of them:

-A Dark Mode for the whole site, with the option to switch to Light Mode
-Twitter feeds on your channel
-Featured livestreams embedded on the hitbox frontpage
-A Personalized frontpage giving easy access to the channels you follow
-Easy to browse through the games currently being livestreamed
-A responsive layout for better mobile experience, including the option to manually resize the chat
-The ability to sort and search through the viewerlist

You can see a preview of the redesign in progress here: http://preview.hitbox.tv/
The new design is very slick. I like it alot.

Koriandrr

my problem with Hitbox is that it drains my internet like a bitch.

I'm unfortunate to have a rather shitty connection at the moment and when I watch a stream from hitbox, the other people in the house can't even use the browser. It's terrible, it's not that bad even when I use torrents. :(

I hope they optimize it better.

Dusk Golem

my problem with Hitbox is that it drains my internet like a bitch.

I'm unfortunate to have a rather shitty connection at the moment and when I watch a stream from hitbox, the other people in the house can't even use the browser. It's terrible, it's not that bad even when I use torrents. :(

I hope they optimize it better.

Do you have this problem with other streaming sites, or just Hitbox? I ask because I've tried a lot of different streaming sites and Hitbox works for most (though not all), but wondering if its like that for other sites or just Hitbox for you?

I was wondering, will my saved clips will be saved up there on hitbox forever or are they bound to be removed after a period of time like twitch?

Dusk Golem

Was tempted to post this in the more recent Hitbox smalldiscussion, but this is more general.

Mobile app is updated, people watching mobile-side for me have reported it working a lot better. For subscribers, emotes are now global and subs can now post images on a channel I've found out. Site performance also saw a boost, I had an issue a few days ago and messaged support, and was fixed rather quickly. Continue to have nothing but good things to say. I'm usually reminded how much I like Hitbox on days Twitch has a lot of fuck-ups, and get tempted to post in this topic.

I have the Hitbox app on my phone to watch the newLegacy guys and have to say that the Hitbox app is fucking phenomenal in comparison to the steaming pile of garbage that is the Twitch app.

Dusk Golem

I have the Hitbox app on my phone to watch the newLegacy guys and have to say that the Hitbox app is fucking phenomenal in comparison to the steaming pile of garbage that is the Twitch app.

I haven't used it much, but I've been hearing from watchers the mobile app saw some big improvements the last week, and know more people have been watching from mobile because the app is pretty decent.

Nokterian

Just logged in saw indeed updates come by a few times of the app looks very slick.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH

No surprise there. The mobile version of Twitch is the epitome of 100% homogenized, processed and organic feces. It's horrendous on all kinds of levels to the point where I'd honestly rather they simply nuke it entirely until all the fuckups are sorted out.

I'll try Hitbox' version.

http://blog.hitbox.tv/4k-60fps/

This just came to my inbox.

At Hitbox, you see it, play it, live it. We aim to always bring you the next generation live streaming platform, and take premium streaming video and chat to new levels. As part of this commitment to offer you the latest and greatest features and technology, we are excited to announce we are rolling out 4K resolution streams at up to 60 fps – for the first time ever!

Will be pretty cool if they can pull this off reliably.

Non-partnered streamers can, finally, download their own saved streams!

Q6HMkbA.png

Top Bottom