• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution - PC performance and optimization thread.

derFeef

Sorry, for the rudimentary thread, but I will update it later, or maybe a mod can jump in if anything pops up.

So far the biggest issue is a DirectX related crash, more here:
http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139347/29502305/Hitman_Absolution_Directx_Error_

MSAA seems to kill the framerate quite heavily, if you have performance issues, try to deactive that first.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
i5 2500K OC@4.3Ghz
8GB DDR3
GTX 570 OC

1920x1080
FXAA off
All other settings max/ultra

MSAA: 0
Min: 39
Max: 62
Average: 49

MSAA: x2
Min: 26
Max: 49
Average: 39

MSAA: x4
Min: 20
Max: 39
Average: 31

MSAA: x8
Min: 10
Max: 27
Average: 21

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
i5 2500K OC@4.3Ghz
8GB DDR3
GTX 570 OC

1920x1080
FXAA off

Oh wow, those numbers suck. I was hoping that, if I couldn't hold 60 fps, I could at least lock it to 30 and use higher quality AA but it still dips UNDER 30. :\

I'm using a 3570k + GTX580 so hopefully it will fare a bit better but I'm not optimistic.

Won't be able to play this for at least two weeks, but it already looks like I'm going to have to knock off MSAA and bump down the settings from Ultra. No bald head tessellation for me. :(

Mr Swine

Banned
Oh wow, those numbers suck. I was hoping that, if I couldn't hold 60 fps, I could at least lock it to 30 and use higher quality AA but it still dips UNDER 30. :

I'm using a 3570k + GTX580 so hopefully it will fare a bit better but I'm not optimistic.

The 580 (Which I have too) should be around 10-15% better than a 570 depending on game and how well it is optimized. So I think it will do fairly well :)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I get the directx device removed error 1-2 minutes into the game every time. Tried messing with the settings, and if I turn Tesselation off, I can play for about 5 minutes before getting the directx device removed crash.

Every other game works just fine on my rig:

Win7 64 12 gig
660ti w/ latest release drivers (and I tried the new beta drivers, same crash)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
why FXAA off? it's definitely less expensice than MSAA.

Because I'd rather not use IQ damaging post processing anti-aliasing unless I have no other option, and the quality is really good. I'm strangely sensitive to blur introduced by FXAA to the point where I'd almost always rather not use it and go with the jaggies. I like my textures super clean, and this game has damn good texturing.

jet1911

Got an average of 64fps in the benchmark with my dying (sniff) GTX560 and an i5 2500k. I turned off some option (GI, MSAA, SSAO), textures on High, tesselation on, aniso 16x, FXAA, DOF medium. It looks pretty good for what I saw before my GPU failed and crashed the game to the desktop. :p

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Do I have to fiddle with completely uninstalling previous drivers? Any helpful guide for that I could never get it right...

I'm pretty sure the installer takes care of all that for you. I've done about 9 driver updates since I got my 660, and never had a problem. I've never uninstalled the previous drivers.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Game seems to be GPU limited since I get similar frames EatChildren is getting and I'm on a Phenom II x6 @3.5ghz/GTX 570.

Hopefully those beta Nvidia drivers gives a solid boost. Sadly I won't be able to test it until later this afternoon :(

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Can someone who is getting the "DEVICE_REMOVED" DX error try these new drivers and report if they fix the issue?

Thanks

mr_nothin

Banned
So basically the 310.61 drivers are for MSAA optimization and makes for a more consistent experience (raises minimum fps) but does nothing to raise the max FPS.

DaBuddaDa

Next gen PC ports are gonna be a doozy if developers still can't be bothered to make good PC ports this late in the gen (see: AC3 PC thread too).

Irobot82

Going off memory alone, this morning before I went to work I ran the benchmark, everything maxed in the settings.
3570k @ 3.4
7950 @ 925 core clock (I don't think I had my OC up to 1100)

If I remember correctly, my average FPS was 26. I don't think max even hit the 40's. Catalyst 12.11 drivers.

UrbanRats

i5 2500K OC@4.3Ghz
8GB DDR3
GTX 570 OC

1920x1080
FXAA off

In your experience, does the benchmark reflects the game properly? I ask because Batman Arkham City (for example) was shitting on my rig during the benchmark, but in-game was very much playable (if with a couple of dips), so i don't know.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Going off memory alone, this morning before I went to work I ran the benchmark, everything maxed in the settings.
3570k @ 3.4
7950 @ 925 core clock (I don't think I had my OC up to 1100)

If I remember correctly, my average FPS was 26. I don't think max even hit the 40's. Catalyst 12.11 drivers.
If you maxed out MSAA then you will suffer from very poor performance.

Irobot82

If you maxed out MSAA then you will suffer from very poor performance.

I know, I had like 10 minutes before I had to leave and wanted to see some glorious graphics. It sure was purty!

edit: Also I may or may not have been forcing downsampling from 1440p.

dsk1210

Got an average of 64fps in the benchmark with my dying (sniff) GTX560 and an i5 2500k. I turned off some option (GI, MSAA, SSAO), textures on High, tesselation on, aniso 16x, FXAA, DOF medium. It looks pretty good for what I saw before my GPU failed and crashed the game to the desktop. :p

you sure its not your power supply?

nOoblet16

I see no obvious difference between LOD ultra (probably something really far off) and ultra shadows when compared tot heir high settings...but in terms of framerate there's a dip of about 8-10FPS. I've decided to play the game on my HDTV with 1600*900 instead of 1080p with everything on max except shadows and LOD which are set to high and no MSAA....and I'm getting near constant 60FPS. I'll prefer this over a sharper IQ but 30FPS, considering the fact that when I play on my HDTV I sit at a distance of about 6 feet so it negates much of the IQ gain I get from going to 1080p..

jet1911

Yep. Everytime a game crash I get a popup saying something like "nvidia driver 306.10 stopped responding and etc.etc.". I'll try to write to Asus to see if they can repair it or send me a new one.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
From an Eidos rep for people with the "DEVICE_REMOVED" crash:

Disable desktop composition by browsing to game folder i.e steam\steamapps\common\hitman absolution\ and right click on hma.exe and click properties. Click on compatibility tab and put the tick into Disable desktop composition.

At work now so I can't try it...

Anti-Aliasing is just for people with low resolution monitors anyway.

This is how I justify lowering settings to myself, shutup.

EatChildren

In your experience, does the benchmark reflects the game properly?

Not really, no, because the benchmark focuses on a very dense and detailed section of the game. It's basically pushing it. Most of the game performs better.

I should not I had vsync off for all of these benchmarks.

Ran some more tests. Left MSAA to x8, chewing up maximum performance. Went to a graphics option and dialled it down one notch, ran the test, turned it back up to maximum, then knocked another option down a notch. That way you can see what performance impact each option is making alone, if lowered down by one from their maximum setting.

Tessellation: Off
Average: 22 (+1)

Global Illumination: Off
Average: 24 (+3)

Depth of Field: Medium (down from High)
Average: 21 (+0)

SSAO: Normal (down from High)
Average: 25 (+4)

Shadow Quality: High (down from Ultra)
Average: 23 (+2)

Reflections: Medium (down from High)
Average: 21 (+0)

Level of Detail: High (down from Ultra)

Texture Quality: Normal (down from High)

Depth of Field: Medium
SSAO: Normal
Shadow Quality: High
Reflections: Medium
Level of Detail: High
Texture Quality: Normal
Average: 28 (+7)

In that last one both tessellation and global illumination were turned on.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Nixxis is pretty good with patches IIRC... so hopefully we see something asap.

Nixxis is the BEST with patches. They are probably the most solid PC port studio in the industry. They came out with the 5 minute level load patch for Deus Ex about 16 hours after the game's release, reducing loading times to about 5-10 seconds.

Top Bottom