• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman Trilogy Announced

Buggy Loop

Apparently the VR is really bad from early impressions.

Fed Up Reaction GIF

I love the idea of these games and really want to play them, but I just can’t get the hang of it. I tried III tonight, and I can tell that it’s amazing but I exist in one of two states at all times:

1) Standing there trying to figure out what to do
2) Getting caught because I tried to do fucking anything.

Even when I’m in what seems a legit disguise I always get spotted by a guard or a staff member.

The last straw was when I finally managed to sneak up on someone, successfully subdue and steal their clothes then drag them right out into the middle of the bar because I thought it might be a cupboard where I could stash the body :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Destined to just appreciate them from afar I think.

Buggy Loop

They're having a laugh with this pricing one year after launch.

Apparently the VR is broken as well according to the reviews, can anyone here verify?

What i gathered from reddit
  • no room scale support, moving away from your centered body just fades out your body and messes things up
  • Turning - I'd be ok with no room scale if you could at least play it in a swivel chair and turn and have your body follow you, but even that doesn't seem to work well. You can turn but the inventory slot and movement needs snap turning to catch you up. I found head based movement seemed to help a bit with this, but still not great.
  • Running seems to be frequently in the wrong direction or off center because of the turning issue mentioned above
  • gun angle is pretty bad on the silver baller, gotta point pretty low to get the sights lined up. Custom angle adjustments would be great to see to support all the controller types out there
  • using sniper scope brings up 2d view, I'm not that concerned about it, but something to be aware of
  • you can't crouch yourself, have to use button press. Based on the turning and room scale issues above you probably wouldn't want to anyway unless they fix those.
  • throwing consistency could use some work. The aiming with left arm works pretty well, but sometimes the object still just drops in front of you, which can get you killed. I didn't play that long so possibly just need to get used to it.
This is a shit port basically. Some kind of lazy PSVR port in fact. Can't even crouch? What year is this?

GHG

• no room scale support, moving away from your centered body just fades out your body and messes things up
  • Turning - I'd be ok with no room scale if you could at least play it in a swivel chair and turn and have your body follow you, but even that doesn't seem to work well. You can turn but the inventory slot and movement needs snap turning to catch you up. I found head based movement seemed to help a bit with this, but still not great.
  • Running seems to be frequently in the wrong direction or off center because of the turning issue mentioned above
  • gun angle is pretty bad on the silver baller, gotta point pretty low to get the sights lined up. Custom angle adjustments would be great to see to support all the controller types out there
  • using sniper scope brings up 2d view, I'm not that concerned about it, but something to be aware of
  • you can't crouch yourself, have to use button press. Based on the turning and room scale issues above you probably wouldn't want to anyway unless they fix those.
  • throwing consistency could use some work. The aiming with left arm works pretty well, but sometimes the object still just drops in front of you, which can get you killed. I didn't play that long so possibly just need to get used to it.
This is a shit port basically. Some kind of lazy PSVR port in fact. Can't even crouch? What year is this?

Well fuck that. Pass.

So tired of big developers/publishers these days. Is it too much to ask to get a polished release considering they are charging us for these products?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I think they imported all the Hitman 1 and 2 levels onto the Hitman 3 optimized game engine, so that might be it. Not sure.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Hope my #1 ranks in the world for the first two "The adamoli fascination" missions are there lol

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Did Hitman always perform well? I think I had tried it and it ran badly on my PC, which is the same now, but 3/1 content in 3 seem flawless in High settings. Even the simulation which tanks the benchmark to single digit fps can be enabled with no issues in game since you don't go on rampages.

Zug

I had big expectations for Hitman 3 VR, very disapointed. Even Skyrim VR looked less of a rip-off, is that even immaginable ?

Reactions: GHG
Still pissed about VR. I was expecting a new AAA experience. Also the game on steam is such a cluster. Why isn't there a "Buy the Trilogy minus what I already own option" how complicated can that be. The price is also hilarious. 100 bucks. Get outa herrreeeeee

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Seriously MS needs to update Gamepass for PC and fix all the damn bugs. First it was the loss of my entire Halo Infinite Campaign because of a known bug they haven't
fixed and now Hitman Trilogy wouldn't start up upon install. So I had to troubleshoot that and uninstall/reinstall the game again.

If MS can write a check for almost 70 billion cash, you think they'd throw a few bones to the damn Gamepass team to fix it. :messenger_pouting:
:messenger_angry:

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: GHG
Seriously MS needs to update Gamepass for PC and fix all the damn bugs. First it was the loss of my entire Halo Infinite Campaign because of a known bug they haven't
fixed and now Hitman Trilogy wouldn't start up upon install. So I had to troubleshoot that and uninstall/reinstall the game again.

If MS can write a check for almost 70 billion cash, you think they'd throw a few bones to the damn Gamepass team to fix it. :messenger_pouting:
It's a shame gamepass is locked behind this garbage app. It like it's aesthetic but I never have had so many issues with a launcher. Constant dumb notifications, the game files are locked up. Malwarebytes hates everything about it and I can't seem to whitelist it. Updating it isn't straightforward you sometimes got to go to Microsoft store and do it there. What a piece of poop

ultrazilla

Gold Member
It's a shame gamepass is locked behind this garbage app. It like it's aesthetic but I never have had so many issues with a launcher. Constant dumb notifications, the game files are locked up. Malwarebytes hates everything about it and I can't seem to whitelist it. Updating it isn't straightforward you sometimes got to go to Microsoft store and do it there. What a piece of poop

Agreed. BTW, love your Avatar and name. Interstellar is fantastic! Cheers :messenger_sunglasses:
👍

hollams

Gold Member

Both things happened to me this week as well so at least you are not alone.

Killer8

Here is my review of the different versions of this fucking game after trying all of them:

They have FINALLY fixed the PS5 music cutting out, after one whole year on the market. Congratulations, IO Interactive, your programmers have finally woken up and done their job. However, there are still some bugs like the boats on the Bangkok level going crazy:

So the issues on PS5 are now minor and it's finally a version worth getting. It also comes with VR, which is really nothing special and should only really be treated as an extra. I recommend disabling the DualSense trigger haptics as they are unbelievable annoying in this - when you are lining up the killing shot that the whole mission hinges on, you don't really want 'immersive' triggers to fight with, you want them to just work.

I also recommend setting your TV's HDR setting to "dynamic tone mapping" rather than HGiG, and then lowering the game's gamma setting to 0.90. Otherwise the H3 levels look very washed out and dim.

On the PC side, I have a Ryzen 9 5900X, an RTX 3070 and 16gb RAM with an Samsung 980 Pro Nvme drive. I experienced horrific stuttering and strange lighting issues where the whole skybox can flicker. In levels with lightning in the background, like Dartmoor and Chongqing, the whole skybox also becomes seizure inducing when the lightning strikes. Performance otherwise is nothing to write home about at 1440p on max settings. I don't know why they included VRS and not the infinitely better DLSS.

VR of course looks leaps ahead of the PS5 version (which runs the VR in PS4 mode for some reason). But the VR simply isn't much good, it's amateur hour shit that a modder could do better. The stutter is even worse in VR and even vomit inducing (*known issue, but we all know it takes a year for IO to fix anything). It's also lazy as they just use a black screen transition for all sort of animations. Truly an afterthought.

The price on Steam is absolutely obscene and an insult to everyone who waited for this game after a year of Epic Games exclusivity. The negative reviews on Steam are well deserved for IO's moneygrubbing.

Finally we have my preferred version, Xbox Series X. This runs at native 4K, which looks a bit sharper than PS5 on my OLED. The shadows are also supposedly better, but it's not noticeable. It does not have the boat physics bugs seen on PS5, and generally plays very nicely. They fixed the Xbox specific content unlock bugs in this year two update.

It's also on Game Pass for free (*the price of the sub), making that an attractive option. And you get the PC version with that too, for VR if you care about that, which may be useful if IO get their act together on the PC version. Sadly on Game Pass you get access to only the base levels, not the H2 DLC levels too. I highly recommend NOT buying these, as similarly to the Steam release, it's disgracefully priced. These always go 80% off in sales. That goes for PS5 owners too.

Finally, as with PS5, I recommend setting HDR to HDR10 mode rather than Dolby Vision on the Xbox. This allowed my OLED to use the dynamic tone mapping option instead of HGiG, which looks better in this game.

Winner (or, least amount of headaches): Xbox Series X on Game Pass.

DaGwaphics

47 got some telekinesis going on.

Regarding the Xbox PC App it does have some quirks to it. I couldn't even enter my GP account in the app on a new W11 install (it logged into the primary user account automatically), I had to install the console companion app and login in there in order to have the option to use that account with the Xbox app. Hopefully they are working to improve this.

Droxcy

Thought that was only me I haven't been able to launch so I just uninstalled it didn't bother searching it up after the last issue I had with Halo crashing on launch.

Alexios

Did Hitman always perform well? I think I had tried it and it ran badly on my PC, which is the same now, but 3/1 content in 3 seem flawless in High settings. Even the simulation which tanks the benchmark to single digit fps can be enabled with no issues in game since you don't go on rampages.
I just finally tried it in VR and was surprised it performs great also, with my 1080 and 3770K, even though they recommend better and newer stuff. But yeah, the gameplay implementation is truly awful (even seated to avoid the room scale problems). I think they can fix it if they care to but they probably won't and only do minor improvements to button mapping, maybe the weapon aiming and letting people use either hand and and leave it at that. Which will really suck because at this point it'd be better to have normal mkb/gamepad controls and only VR headtracking. I'll play it flat 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
How about the jack asses at Io fix the HDR already with one of these updates before releasing Hitman 3 again? Shit is BROKEN even though 1 and 2 have good HDR.

NO pride in their game or desire for visual consistency apparently. Game was advertised as having HDR but it doesn't work at all. One year later with lots of fans asking them every month to patch it and they ignore it every patch.

Io has shown themselves to be as bad as any other AAA dev with some of their post H3 behavior. On the ps5 there's also a nasty audio bug in H1/h2 where the sound goes in and out. Again, never fixed.

Alexios

PC gamer continues being anti-PC shit and acting as if on EGS payroll constantly slandering what they think is competition (but in reality is in a whole other league). Completely fabricated bullshit with a dismissed case as evidence enough to raise the question and accuse IOI's botched launch is Steam's fault, lol. They deleted my comment correcting in much detail how discount parity is for Steam keys etc. and asking why they didn't at least google it before writing fake news. It's sneaky in that if I'm logged in I get no indication of it happening at all, but looking at the page without logging in my comments don't show at all, I dunno. Hey, EGS gets a ton of sold on Steam games for free and we constantly hype that up and talk about how it rules, but let's just spread bullshit that Steam forces price/discount parity on EGS for this game to spare Epic's partner, it makes total sense🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Top Bottom