• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hm, maybe we should take a closer look?

jonezer4

CrushDance said:
Especially new hardware of all. Sure the odds may be against Sony at the moment but they could rebound back like Nintendo did(with style).

The difference is Sony is not an innovator, so their chances of making a rebound, at least of that variety, are more limited.

The only thing they can really do is hope for Nintendo to come out with a good idea that they could steal and make marginally better for a supreme comeback to end all comebacks.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Thread etiquette:
If you have to put the word "discuss!" at the end of a thread starting post, you've failed to make something worth discussing.

It's like saying "that's it" at the end of a presentation. If the crowd doesn't know when to clap as you've finished, you suck. If a thread is worth posting, the word "discuss!!" will never be needed.

/thread etiquette

methane47

Carlisle said:
And as much as I despise MS, at least they don't shamelessly copy, and at least they contributed to the growth and innovation of the industry by setting some amazing standards for online gameplay and communities.

*COUGH* 1080p :)
*COUgh* HD video:) *COUGH*!!!!
dang my throat is giving me problems tonite :lol

Coke puts out a drink with cherry, it sells well so Pepsi puts out a cherry pepsi.
Burger King puts out a mushroom swiss burger and it sells well so Checkers puts one out.
Chevy puts out a car with gps stock and people like it, so Ford puts one out.
Verizon puts vcast on their cel phones ans it sells well, so now everyone adds it?

Why is it only in the video game world people are such little ******* about it.

methane47

OokieSpookie said:
Coke puts out a drink with cherry, it sells well so Pepsi puts out a cherry pepsi.
Burger King puts out a mushroom swiss burger and it sells well so Checkers puts one out.
Verizon puts vcast on their cel phones ans it sells well, so now everyone adds it?

:D :D :D
Cuz Everyone already knows Coke is the BEST!!! Beats Pepsi hands down... Pepsi tastes like Turtle sh!t poo mixed with sugar and bubbly.. it's true :D :D :D

methane47 said:
Cuz Everyone already knows Coke is the BEST!!! Beats Pepsi hands down... Pepsi tastes like Turtle sh!t poo mixed with sugar and bubbly.. it's true
How come you can be banned for cursing out video game companies but not soft drink companies? Poor Pepsi ):

methane47 said:
Cuz Everyone already knows Coke is the BEST!!! Beats Pepsi hands down... Pepsi tastes like Turtle sh!t poo mixed with sugar and bubbly.. it's true

Never tried turtle shit poo, but ill agree that pepsi tastes pretty bad. (too sweet and kind of flat)

aeolist

Banned
Nintendo and Sony would be just as evil as Microsoft if they had a crushing lead, that's the point.

The problem with Microsoft is that they're much much better at being evil, hence the Snidely Whiplash/Palpatine comparison. Sony wants to become this all-encompassing DRM-laden digital hub of proprietary formats, but they're too incompetent to actually manage it. Microsoft wants the same and they're actually smart enough to manage if the other two let them get enough of a lead.

Speevy

Banned
Pepsi does suck, but there's only one facet of it. Its taste. And drinking soft drinks isn't entertaining, cool, or community-oriented. I can't believe I had to explain why soft drinks are different from consoles.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
OokieSpookie said:

It's a gaming forum?

It's like not getting why people get pissed about WalMart or American cars. Sure, they standardize shit by incorporating things that people like and making them at a mass market price...but there is something to be said for quality, ingenuity and style. Like the iPod.

I assume that's part of the strategy for the PS3. Trying to raise perceived value in the brand while capitalizing on the popularity. It could backfire, like McDonald's Healthy Menu, or it could very well succeed, like Target.

If you guys are into this kinda discussion about strategy, tactics, branding and advertising, I strongly recommend to pursue it College. It's a great degree program that helps explain just about everything awesome (and awful) about most societies. It's called Communication Studies.

aeolist said:
Sony needs to survive.

Microsoft is great to third parties and consumers right now since they're trying to take over, but if they ever obtain dominance they'll just crush everything under their heel.
Not likely. They were able to throw their weight around with IE/Windows because all sorts of highly significant businesses depend on computers and their operating systems. In other words, OS software is an essential product in today's world.

Video games are not. If Microsoft was the market leader, they would not have free rein over the industry because if they act in a way that screws over customers, the market will shrink. Video games are still a luxury item.

MrNibbles

Banned
PocketMidget said:
I just want Sony to fail. I seriously hate Sony with a living passion. I want to shit on their grave.

Sony has done nothing for the videogame industry. They copy. They do not innovate. They have no new ideas. They are the plague of this Earth. I will never support Sony, and I hope they continue to operate in bankruptcy and Nintendo buys them out just for the hell of it. Die Sony Die.

I agree, without the mindlessness, the stupid, and the getting banned, and all that.

It's fun to dump on Sony. Like, how every sector of their company is losing money.
It's comedy gold, right?

YES, IT IS

Right?

Where's the damned giant rolleyes...

Sean*O

She does seem to ban those who hate on Sony, doesn't she?

That 2nd post was funny as hell, and I would have lol'd if it were aimed at MS or Nin as well. Some folks need to lighten up and let others have an opinion.

linsivvi

Nothing against Sony. I think it's healthier for the game industry if the winner is different each generation. The only thing you don't want to see is MS dominate the video game market, given the track record of their business practice in the other areas...

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
FunkyMunkey said:
:( at guy getting banned for expressing his opinion. Sony fanboy/girl mod?

I argree with the thread creator, though.

Thread Etiquette Part II
Learn and learn quickly. That shit ain't opinion, it's spewing irrational hatred for a freaking company. And stating that kinda shit generally doesn't fly (unless its a joke character).

Also, calling out mods as fanboys is generally a bad idea.

/thread etiquette part II.

PantherLotus said:
Thread Etiquette Part II
Learn and learn quickly. That shit ain't opinion, it's spewing irrational hatred for a freaking company. And stating that kinda shit generally doesn't fly (unless its a joke character).

Also, calling out mods as fanboys is generally a bad idea.

/thread etiquette part II.

Yep.
There is a world of difference between posting an opinion for conversation and discussion, and just throwing a rant or an editorial just for reaction.
There are a thousand places you can get a blog for that.

Sean*O

Yep.
There is a world of difference between posting an opinion for conversation and discussion, and just throwing a rant or an editorial just for reaction.
There are a thousand places you can get a blog for that.

It happens all the time around here, and it's often fun when taken in the proper context. That post was so over the top I can't believe anyone would even begin to take it seriously.

I mean, did no one else see the comedy in watching that poster short-circuit?

Hell, at least he was straight about his bias.

Brashnir

CrushDance said:
I'll admit that people like to see the underdog win and a 100 other cliches. Well really to sum it up quickly: Everyone was saying "Nintendo is doomed", "Third party 2009" and all that weird stuff. Then we all saw how DS did and blew away the competition(what competition?) and PSP flopped.

Then everyone said "Oh its okay, Sony losing in the handheld market is *okay*, they made a dent in Nintendo's market share still" And I agree with that.

Now its PS3 and 360. And the same thing, "Sony doomed!", "Sony third party...wtf Sony sucks at making games!", "Sony is just doomed then..."

But should we be so quick to make judgements on things like this?
Especially new hardware of all. Sure the odds may be against Sony at the moment but they could rebound back like Nintendo did(with style). I think this is more than a gaming problem and really a way our soceity seems to work.

I'm not saying its wrong. But I think we should be careful just incase we have to eat crow...ala the "OMG Revolution control is a gimmick!"

What do you guys think? Do we really believe these things or just say them as wishful thinking for our favourite company to get its act together? Discuss!

While I agree with you that it's far too early to count Sony out, as they are still the Market leader until proven otherwise (and such proof won't be evident for another year at the earliest) Nintendo had one huge advantage with the DS that Sony lacks with the PS3. Price point.

Sony is fighting the uphill battle on two fronts -- Price and installed base. They've done it before (PS2/Dreamcast), but the competition looks stronger this time.

Sean*O

Sony does have an uphill battle. They are fighting a large price disadvantage, and serious supply problems.

EDIT: Basically what was just said above :p

Pellham

Banned
Sean*O said:
It happens all the time around here, and it's often fun when taken in the proper context. That post was so over the top I can't believe anyone would even begin to take it seriously.

i think trolling is part of the fun of GAF and everyone does it to some degree, but banning the ones who go over the line is also part of the fun of GAF.

Sean*O said:

I can agree with some of that.
The problem is that you get people who never contribute anything though and just pop in a thread here and there to throw poo and the mods are pretty good at sniffing them out.

Vyer

PantherLotus said:
Thread Etiquette Part II

To be fair, there do seem to be some that get away with the 'hatred' act and don't seem to be joke characters but remain untouched.

This dude's problem was that he was pretty straightforward with it. On the other hand...which is worse, the lay the cards all on the table type or the ones that try to mask it?

Pellham said:
i think trolling is part of the fun of GAF and everyone does it to some degree, but banning the ones who go over the line is also part of the fun of GAF.

And also what makes it one of the most comfortable boards to be on.

aeolist said:
Sony needs to survive.

Microsoft is great to third parties and consumers right now since they're trying to take over, but if they ever obtain dominance they'll just crush everything under their heel.

Asking whether you'd rather have Sony or Microsoft in the lead position in the game market is like asking whether you'd prefer to be ruled by Snidely Whiplash or Emperor Palpatine.

Winnar!

The thing is I didn't get into gaming till the 64 days and I hear people talking about how Nintendo was such a bitch to developers that many went out of business or were forced to do what Nintendo wanted.

See I have no problem believing that and I guess in a sense I'm glad that Microsoft is here to balance it out so one doesn't get too far ahead of the other(failed last gen but whatever):lol

What I think people should be eying is the fact that Microsoft is really aggressive at buying out other companies. We see this in the computer industry and I heard that Microsoft had attempted to buy Nintendo out actually before the Xbox brand was launched.

That is what bothers me. But this isn't really what the thread is about...I personally don't want Sony to fail if they can manage Ps2 numbers or a bit less I won't mind. Maybe I'm afraid of change but thats just the way I see things.

Bert

Odysseus said:
This next gen will look a lot like this past gen, with the exception that the gulf between Sony and Microsoft won't be as wide. Sony first, Microsoft second, Nintendo struggling but profitable as always.

How were Nintendo struggling last gen? I know the Internets likes it's hyperbole but being the most profitable company and only a couple of million behind is hardly struggling.

Anyway, I think that yes people are too quick to judge, but it's fun and forums would be dull without people making wide baseless judgements. Like this:

I reckon this gen will be the closest since PS1. Wii will sell a lot more than GC, PS3 will sell a lot less due to the price and not having the DVD effect, and 360 will take the lost PS3 sales. If I had to pick a winner it'd be 360, despite how much I hate MS being in this business for all the wrong reasons I really think they've got the best balance between price and features this gen. I still want Nintendo to win by a landslide and for games to stop trying to be CG movies though :)

Sony is good for business
But only if there's at least Nintendo or MS in direct competition with them.

In truth, if any one of them gets too much power, we all suffer.

Mojovonio

Banned
Jack Random said:
Sony is good for business
But only if there's at least Nintendo or MS in direct competition with them.

In truth, if any one of them gets too much power, we all suffer.

Which is something I hope all the fankids realize before making stupid statements like "I HOPE M$ FAILS!!!!!"

Carl2282

in all honesty I want all 3 companies to do well, i want there to be a reason to have a ps3, a reason to have a 360, a reason to have a wii. Each company brings something good to the table. The harder they compete for our dollars the better quality we'll see in what we get. I really dont want to see one company fail for another, then the "winner" would just get lazy and not worry about innovating or trying to deliver a great experience.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
linsivvi said:
Nothing against Sony. I think it's healthier for the game industry if the winner is different each generation. The only thing you don't want to see is MS dominate the video game market, given the track record of their business practice in the other areas...
Their track record is that they try to gain market share and enact measures to avoid losing market share. Oh man those heartless bastards.

They do what any other business does. Because they succeed at doing so more than others, that means they're evil?

On a tangentially-related aside, Bill Gates is one of the most charitable and philanthropic people in the world, and by extension that speaks well of MS. As far as I know, any charity Sony is involved with is a drop in the bucket compared to the stuff the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is responsible for.

Not saying an MS vice-grip on the market would be all sunshine and dandelions, mind you, but the gloom and doom given for such a scenario is a bit much.

karasu

Speevy said:
Why root for Sony at all? They're the market leader, and have gotten pretty darn good at being the market leader.

If Sony screws up and then learns from their mistakes, the industry itself benefits.

:/ No gamer benefits from a company screwing up.

PantherLotus said:
With over 200 million consoles sold in 15 years, it's pretty hard to argue that Sony did "nothing" for the industry. If nothing else, they made the industry A WHOLE ****LOAD OF MONEY.

Now if you want to talk about what they did for the gamer? How about a whole shit-ton of games that were never possible on previous consoles? How about making gaming something more accepted in mainstream society than ever before, even if it is for gamers that only like Madden and GTA? How about lowering costs for developers, having a better model for distributing games, and the idea of adding non-gaming features to their consoles?
Most of those are just the cheapening effects of disc media, though. If not Sony, Sega (or someone else) could've been the one reaping the advantages of Nintendo's cartridge blunder. Without Sony we might not have Gameday or the Getaway, but Madden and GTA would be around.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
You know folks... I've expressed a general disdain for Sony as a company before, and I wasn't banned for it. There is the slight possibility that one's presentation of beliefs and general demeanor influences the behavior of others towards you.

(Note to Dragona: I always want to spell that word as "behaviour"... I tend not to, as that isn't acceptable over here and I tend to side with the "dropping the u" in most other words, but I'm starting to think I might consider making an exception.)

FauX said:
Are you gonna banned me? If so....well.... I'm trying not to troll... really.... just wanna now what sony has done too innovate... tell me one, come on!

I dunno I think they had a lower barrier to entry vs nintendos licensing system, the cd format coupled with a good hardware setup, plus ease of devolpment (when compared to saturn), let us get such games as resident evil, metal gear solid, gran turismo, final fantasy 7, etc etc

they may not be the best painters in the world but they seem to supply a decent paintbrush set.

that is my opinion on the ps1 era, the ps2 era was more of the same of the ps one, ps 3 seems a bit off to me but oh well.

I play games not systems, some people here need to get a ****ing grip.

:lol

linsivvi

Shig said:
Their track record is that they try to gain market share and enact measures to avoid losing market share. Oh man those heartless bastards.

They do what any other business does. Because they succeed at doing so more than others, that means they're evil?

On a tangentially-related aside, Bill Gates is one of the most charitable and philanthropic people in the world, and by extension that speaks well of MS. As far as I know, any charity Sony is involved with is a drop in the bucket compared to the stuff the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is responsible for.

Not saying an MS vice-grip on the market would be all sunshine and dandelions, mind you, but the gloom and doom given for such a scenario is a bit much.

Geez man. You better read up on the history of MS then. Bill Gates doing charity does nothing to justify the business practice of MS. They are two separate things.

karasu said:
:/ No gamer benefits from a company screwing up.
I don't know... we got a pretty good thing going with the DS. One can argue the case that if Nintendo hadn't screwed up competing with Sony, they wouldn't have been as aggressive in the handheld sector.

If Sony gets reamed this gen (assuming it doesn't kill them) you can bet it will light a fire under their ass when it comes to PS4.

DDayton

linsivvi said:
Geez man. You better read up on the history of MS then. Bill Gates doing charity does nothing to justify the business practice of MS. They are two separate things.

Actually, I'd be more tempted to say that Bill Gates trying to get revenge for all the lousy pirates ripping off his prerelease copies of BASIC for the Altair both explains his company's later business practices and (in a certain confused way) almost serves to justify them, in a certain light.

(Almost all of the first home computer users stole his stuff, so he's taking a healthy portion of money from all later computer users... and it "serves 'em right" for being a bunch o' pirates.)

xabre

Banned
DavidDayton said:
You know folks... I've expressed a general disdain for Sony as a company before, and I wasn't banned for it. There is the slight possibility that one's presentation of beliefs and general demeanor influences the behavior of others towards you.

It's cute that you honestly believe that.

Xeke

Banned
DavidDayton said:

(Note to Dragona: I always want to spell that word as "behaviour"... I tend not to, as that isn't acceptable over here and I tend to side with the "dropping the u" in most other words, but I'm starting to think I might consider making an exception.)

50ny 1s 73h 5ux0r!

^_^

DDayton

xabre said:
It's cute that you honestly believe that.

Well, it's also possible that I paid off all the mods at e3 last year, allowing me to do whatever I want with no retaliation.

(Granted, that's a bit less likely...)

Top Bottom