• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation is having a stellar year so far. But what do Playstation fans think?

Rate Playstation 5's exclusive lineup in 2024

• A

Votes: 109 35.7%
  • B

Votes: 71 23.3%
  • C

Votes: 72 23.6%
  • D

Votes: 53 17.4%

• Total voters

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Way too many Japanese games for me. Nothing against them, I just don’t vibe with their gaming style. And they tend to be way behind the curve technically/visually speaking.

And Helldivers is an MP GAAS game in which I have no interest in. I’d be down if it had a single player story mode

So this year is a solid D- for me. I haven’t played a thing all year. Easily the worst year of the gen thus far.

Desperately awaiting Hellblade 2 and a PlayStation showcase with proper next gen first party game announcements. This year has been dire for my beloved hobby

Last edited:
Nothing released has grabbed me so far this year. Either bloat, microtranscations or Sweet Bay Nonce INC have kept my wallet closed. I still have hope for Warhammer 40k Space Marines 2 and Lost Records Bloom and Rage later in the year.

5B015f4.gif

Aenima

What i think is that i cant spend money in all these games all in one go. It will be hard to get another year with so many bangers in a short period of time. Stellar Blade is the one getting my money day 1, Helldivers is not for me, FF7R will wait for the last game to buy a complete edition, and Rise of Ronin will probably get it later this year. Add the 3rd party games like Granblue Fantasy, Overlord Unicorn, Dragon Dogma 2, etc, and its has been one of the best gaming years.

Fun thing, outside of Helldivers everething has came from Asia.

Last edited:

Killer8

I mentioned this in another thread, Sony could release nothing else for the rest of the year and it would already be a better year than 2023.

It's been pretty damn good. I feel like Sony has gotten way too much shit for their "first party" outlook. Like, you can't do too much better than these first 4 months, not only in terms of high quality games but there is a good balance of variety between them. I know you're also just talking 2024, but even if you just go back a couple months before that, they had Spider Man 2 and GoW Valhalla dlc as well. Tough to be overly critical of Sony games the last couple of months, imo.

I will say though, the rest of the year/future, looks weak as hell. Astrobot seems like it could happen and I would be day 1 but other suspected games like Concord and SH2 don't do much for me (Concord because we have no idea wtf it is and SH2 because blooper). I'm not typically one who what's or needs to know PlayStations "timeline" but I would like to see what else they have in the future, hopefully in the rumored showcase in May.

gothmog

Gold Member
I would say it has been a surprising year so far. I hope the success of HD2 shows that people want a return of those quirky multiplayer games we saw during the PS3 era. A warhawk or Starhawk revival would be my personal wish.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
tfw Sony was involved in Stellar Blade's production for longer than MS was with Hi-Fi Rush and Starfield.
Going off what Yoko Taro said, and Lies of P, I think Korean devs are probably better optimizing Unreal than Japanese developers. I dont really see any reason to think XDEV had any really substantial impact on the game. Sony for sure is providing funding, and a lot of marketing though. I just think XDEV gets trotted out a lot in these fanboy debates just to claim ownership over things. Its a nice bonus but it gets exaggerated a lot for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I know thats been said a lot but I think its pretty minimal. Wo Long still happened. Final Fantasy comes out polished with or without exclusivity. But who knows.
Final Fantasy rebirth probably got possible only when Sony backed Square Enix with enough money to make the trilogy viable. This is a pretty big ask and it began 10 years ago, with maybe another game coming in a few years. Stellar blade is one of those case where you would be technically correct, except for one thing: Sony marketing pull is way bigger than Xbox. And they helped shift up a lot behind the scenes. It seems obvious that Sony help is real, and allowed the game to not only get better, but also be considered better just with the association it had with Playstation, as that was not at all certain back when we first got a glimpse of it. Having a polished demo one or 2 months early is the kind of things that don't happen often those days, and one with a positive response too.

Xbox got their own good stories to tell, with games like High on life and Palword, that they allowed to happen. Hopefully with their new focus on gaming they will find new partnerships and give us more games to answer to Stellar blade.

nial

Gold Member
Going off what Yoko Taro said, and Lies of P, I think Korean devs are probably better optimizing Unreal than Japanese developers. I dont really see any reason to think XDEV had any really substantial impact on the game. Sony for sure is providing funding, and a lot of marketing though. I just think XDEV gets trotted out a lot in these fanboy debates just to claim ownership over things.
XDEV is not meant to provide optimizing, they're for development production and planning. Their staff is composed by producers.
That is how a publisher generally contributes to the creation of an externally-developed game.
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, in contrast to SB and ROTR, did not have any single SIE producer working on it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Final Fantasy rebirth probably got possible only when Sony backed Square Enix with enough money to make the trilogy viable. This is a pretty big ask and it began 10 years ago, with maybe another game coming in a few years. Stellar blade is one of those case where you would be technically correct, except for one thing: Sony marketing pull is way bigger than Xbox. And they helped shift up a lot behind the scenes. It seems obvious that Sony help is real, and allowed the game to not only get better, but also be considered better just with the association it had with Playstation, as that was not at all certain back when we first got a glimpse of it. Having a polished demo one or 2 months early is the kind of things that don't happen often those days, and one with a positive response too.

Xbox got their own good stories to tell, with games like High on life and Palword, that they allowed to happen. Hopefully with their new focus on gaming they will find new partnerships and give us more games to answer to Stellar blade.
It's entirely possible the safe payment guarantee made it possible. I am going to go with "we'll never know." Final Fantasy has been around for a long time. And They had a trilogy last gen too, from the same team. No one is disputing Sony helps a lot though with money, marketing, and prestige by association as an exclusive.

Fake

When you say 'stellar', you mean Sony is rellying on Japanese games to make one the best year for japaneses games without western devs?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
might be true for woke games that get hate campaigns or certain exclusives that are review bombed by fanboys but dragons dogma 2 is neither woke or an exclusive.

DD2 has been review bombed for the 'mtx controversy'. Ronin is a mid-game at best and it's critical scores are pretty apt to how my experience was playing through it, a decent game with nothing really outstanding about it.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
It's entirely possible the safe payment guarantee made it possible. I am going to go with "we'll never know." Final Fantasy has been around for a long time. And They had a trilogy last gen too, from the same team. No one is disputing Sony helps a lot though with money, marketing, and prestige by association as an exclusive.
I agree for Final Fantasy 16. Less for FF 7 remake, but once again you are technically correct. We will never know.

Last edited:

Aenima

Going off what Yoko Taro said, and Lies of P, I think Korean devs are probably better optimizing Unreal than Japanese developers. I dont really see any reason to think XDEV had any really substantial impact on the game. Sony for sure is providing funding, and a lot of marketing though. I just think XDEV gets trotted out a lot in these fanboy debates just to claim ownership over things. Its a nice bonus but it gets exaggerated a lot for obvious reasons.
The Stellar Blade director said they got help from XDEV. So im sure they helped with optimization for the console. I played Nikke day 1 and was a buggy mess, i was actually expecting Stellar Blade to also come with a good amount of bugs and performance issues, was really surprised when played the demo and saw how rock solid it was.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

Still looks weak to me despite Stellar Blade almost wanting me to get a PS5. Too many remakes/remasters and not enough original variety.

C

Last edited:
I guess I'm just out of the loop but none of these games, even Helldivers are games I care about seeing on my PlayStation. It's cool that other people like them, but the just seem kinda bland.

They will never top PS3 followed up by PS4 games.

I need Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, I need a new Socom, I need new FPS games with insane graphics like Killzone.

I need a state of play that gets me excited to be a Playstation owner, like the 2016 E3 Press Conference.

10v12

The Sony I loved is dead and buried so a year with cinematic god of war and open world guerrilla game says nothing to me. A year with HD2 and FFVII? Aye, I could do that. Can’t rate it in April without knowing what is coming this holidays, tho.
Cinematic god of war as in the 2018 one or Ragnarok? 2018 was great but after Ragnarok was when I my hype for first party sony games started dying

On topic tho, Helldivers 2 brought that back a little

diffusionx

Gold Member
I got a PS5 in early 2021 and have not been disappointed with the console at all. I don't think PlayStation owners should be looking at the system as games only coming to PS5. The system also got Dragon Dogma 2, and Tekken 8, and Like a Dragon 2, and Persona 3 Reload, and Prince of Persia, and on and on. Surely anyone with a PS5 can find something to play.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Personally? An absolute shit year except for helldivers 2 (that i'm playing on pc so i don't even need a ps5).

I don't give a fuck about third parties or timed\console esclusives, it's not why i bought a ps5 (even worse when i don't even care about any of these timed exclusives).

Hopefully after all this cooking the result is gonna be better than panderman 2, hopefully 2025 is gonna be better.

Last edited:
Gave it a “C”. Plan on picking up Rebirth later this yr .

Been on Warzone feels like forever now . Sony needs some Multiplayer shooters. Or Some good RPG’s

Helldivers doesn’t interest me.

If all the games that came out this yr interested me I’d give it an “A” good for those that enjoy these games

Last edited:

rm082e

It's funny seeing some Xbox fans say "Xbox is going to have a killer year, and PlayStation doesn't even have any big games lined up" in reference to no new first party IPs. Then we get Helldivers, FF7, Rise of the Ronin, and Stellar Blade in just the first four months.

Emotion_Shame_EmojiFace-Bag-Over-Head.gif

Aside from reviewing Dragons Dogma 2 on it and occasionally firing up the PS5 to blow the dust out with some GT7 etc, it just gathers dust. To be fair its been this way post the first year or so as the usual Sony AAA games these days don't interest me, no exclusive to look forward to since GT7 until Death Stranding 2 really.

Stellar Blade demo was good, haven't played Helldivers 2 (loved the original but no one to group up with) and FFVII doesn't really interest me much. Not bad I guess?

Elios83

It has been one of the busiest and highest quality beginning of a gaming year ever.
Sony knows how to keep great contents flowing hence why they continue to rule the market.

Xtib81

I couldn't care less about any exclusivities they have recently launched. Except for FF7, they all scream AA more than AAA.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The only one I've played this year is the Stellar Blade demo. I'll definitely be buying that. I'm sleeping until a good sale for Ronin and Final Fantasy.

Pedro Motta

It's doing what a console should be doing, delivering a constant output of quality games. Solid A for me.

Even on PS Plus, the output has been pretty decent. Now I'm playing Dave the Diver.

On the other hand I only turned on my Series X one time to try that piece of shit Pal World for 1 hour. Gamepass has been dead for months.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PlayStations problem is their games don’t feel like a team, Nintendo has an exclusive step up every month to year whether it’s yoshi, Mario, Zelda etc. it’s interesting because Sony games beat Microsoft’s and multiplatform games (dragon age, fifa, call of duty etc.) are flourishing.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Its documented that Sony helped during the dev of 16
Yeah but for me there is no need to nitpick for a normal Final Fantasy. It would have happened with or without Sony's help, just maybe later or less polished. In the bigger discussion about how can Sony get the credit for games made by Square Enix, I hope that you understand that the credit they can have for that one is relatively small.

foamdino

This year so far (for me):
  1. Gran Blue Fantasy Relink
  2. FF VII Rebirth
  3. Unicorn Overlord
(I'm still finishing off Octopath Traveller 2 from last year)

There is a *lot* of quality available right now - I don't care if it's exclusive or not, but the majority of the quality titles are coming from Asia (Japan in particular)

Western devs have really done very little in 2024 (honourable mention to Helldivers 2 devs)

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I bought into the PlayStation brand back in 1998. As of 2024, I'm still quite certain I backed the right horse.
That you did, as did many of us! Been with PlayStation since ‘96 and knew it would be a premiere brand. They can happily sit beside Nintendo as the two best.

Bartski

Gold Member
I think it's been pretty good but somehow not for me. Haven't played any of those. Might pick up Helldivers 2 later but Stellar Butt is the first game I'll be playing on release in an unusually long time

Top Bottom