• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade Launching for PlayStation 5 in 2024

Okay, I have forgiven Sony for all its mistakes. Stellar Blade actress model:

GCuBTUJWYAAKSfe
GCsjGZWasAIeJip

GCsjGgwawAAW7ox
GCsjG1FbsAAxFz4

5e88073dacdbb550d7343aad_Shin%20Jae%20Eun%20-%201.jpg
Mau-noi-y-gay-shin-jae-eun-3-1627269681-680-width660height825.jpg

images
bC8gkvZFwuFazjZduDQXw8DR9Mla7smtNEQQe9Lv5ApqaXCfRJ34tGKysdBsWYhrKk1hzIfn0Es45b0S64EZEu4nWmRyR0sYXzo=w960-rj-nu-e365

L65NLlS.gif

Kupfer

So far Stellar Blade is the only 2024 game I'm looking forward to and am willing to buy day 1 full price or a collectors edition with figure.
The second interesting game will be Stalker 2, but without an Xbox and with a weak PC I'll probably have to wait for a PS5 version and see if GSC can even manage to make a decent sequel and not just a CoD in a Chornobyl costume.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
ShiftUp dodging that Sonyfication and censorship.
Keanu Reeves Matrix GIF by PeacockTV

OR..................Sony went out of it's way to do a deal with them after seeing this character and want it to be their Bayonetta. Is that too hard to grasp?

Pejo

OR..................Sony went out of it's way to do a deal with them after seeing this character and want it to be their Bayonetta. Is that too hard to grasp?
Golden Globes Laughing GIF

Sure, that makes sense if you ignore the censoring shit Sony pulled over the last decade. And that's just the stuff we know about, not all the talks that happened behind doors and during the dev process. Do a little googling before saying something so silly.

mckmas8808

As reference you can check the games they released after he became CEO in February 2019 and count the games these dev teams (dev team doesn't mean studio) are doing since then, these are the games greenlighted by him (same goes with Hermen). Following this logic he'd have greenlighted:

MLB starting (likely 21 or later ones), Bend's next IP, Death Stranding DC, Death Stranding 2, Media Molecule's next game, ND's 2 or more SP games under development, GoWR Valhalla + next GoW set in a new mythology, GoT DC, GoT2 or whatever Sucker Punch is doing after GoT, Wolverine, X-Men, next Ratchet, Spider-Man 3, Horizon Forbidden shores, whatever HFW team is doing after it (probably Horizon 3, because Horizon Online started in 2018 so he didn't greenlight it), Team Asobi's upcoming 3D action platformer with humor bigger than the Astros, Housemarque's next game, whatever the Legacy of Thieves/TLOUP1 teams are doing now (at least TLOUP1 started before 2019), Gran Turismo 8 or whatever Polyphony is doing now, whatever Horizon CoM team is doing now, Deviation's game, Ballistic Moon (former Until Dawn/Supermassive devs) game. Plus unknown 1st/2nd games we may not know are under developent.

Games like Destiny 2, Marathon, Matter, Stellar Blade, Fairgame$ instead were already under development before (he didn't greenlight them) but he signed them for Sony so could be partially counted, or not. Games like Rise of the Ronin or Helldivers 2, Horizon Online, GT7, Firewalk's game, TLOUP1 were already under development before February 2019 so where greenlighted by someone else. TLOU Online and London Studio's next IP maybe were greenlighted somewhere in 2019 (or maybe before). Since Firesprite has been working on multiple games since many years ago we have no idea when their game were greenlighted.

The period he has been CEO, from February 11, 2019 to March 31, 2024.

This seems like kind of a cop out to be honest.

Golden Globes Laughing GIF

Sure, that makes sense if you ignore the censoring shit Sony pulled over the last decade. And that's just the stuff we know about, not all the talks that happened behind doors and during the dev process. Do a little googling before saying something so silly.

So you honestly believe Shift Up showed Sony a totally different version of the game than what was in the trailer? Then Sony and Shiftup signed a contract and then they were like, "SIKE hahahaha....this is the real game suckas!" That's what you think happened?

Instead of Sony going, "hey cool game bro....what if we made that exclusive and helped you develop it with our programmers". I mean, did you forget TLOU2 had a sex scene where one of the main characters was getting it doggy style?

Last edited:

Pejo

So you honestly believe Shift Up showed Sony a totally different version of the game than what was in the trailer? Then Sony and Shiftup signed a contract and then they were like, "SIKE hahahaha....this is the real game suckas!" That's what you think happened?

Instead of Sony going, "hey cool game bro....what if we made that exclusive and helped you develop it with our programmers". I mean, did you forget TLOU2 had a sex scene where one of the main characters was getting it doggy style?
I knew you were gonna bring up that godawful TLoU2 scene, it's basically the "free space" on Sony Censorship apologist bingo. That scene is not attractive, it's not meant to entice anyone (unless your last name is Druckmann), and Abby is fuckin' gross.

Anyways, you're just making shit up in your head and then proclaiming it like it really happened. I have plenty of evidence that Sony has directly been responsible (each word is its own link, btw) for censoring (primarily eastern developed) games. Where's your proof of this conversation where they offered programmer help because they wanted a 'cool game Bayonetta clone' - other than "I pulled it out of my ass!"?

And before you get on your high horse about "oh but that's just low class anime trash" - nobody asked what your personal preferences are. I'm just talking about the fact that ShiftUp has seemingly avoided the horseshit that PLENTY of other eastern developers ran into while trying to get their games on the Playstation platform. And like I said, this is just what we know about from games that were already released in a certain state and then modified to get Sony to either allow it on the platform altogether or just localized to the west. Who knows what discussions were had in a boardroom during development and having the inclusivity and sensitivity teams weigh in on anime tits and why they're the devil.

mckmas8808

I knew you were gonna bring up that godawful TLoU2 scene, it's basically the "free space" on Sony Censorship apologist bingo. That scene is not attractive, it's not meant to entice anyone (unless your last name is Druckmann), and Abby is fuckin' gross.

Anyways, you're just making shit up in your head and then proclaiming it like it really happened. I have plenty of evidence that Sony has directly been responsible (each word is its own link, btw) for censoring (primarily eastern developed) games. Where's your proof of this conversation where they offered programmer help because they wanted a 'cool game Bayonetta clone' - other than "I pulled it out of my ass!"?

And before you get on your high horse about "oh but that's just low class anime trash" - nobody asked what your personal preferences are. I'm just talking about the fact that ShiftUp has seemingly avoided the horseshit that PLENTY of other eastern developers ran into while trying to get their games on the Playstation platform. And like I said, this is just what we know about from games that were already released in a certain state and then modified to get Sony to either allow it on the platform altogether or just localized to the west. Who knows what discussions were had in a boardroom during development and having the inclusivity and sensitivity teams weigh in on anime tits and why they're the devil.

I'm not saying they didn't "censor" some of those games. They clearly did. But they clearly liked this game too and signed them to a deal. They didn'y avoid anything. Sony clearly liked it for what it was.

Sony signed them up to be their 1st Korean "second party partner". So again.......they liked it with the sexiness and all. Sony chose them. Nothing snuck by them.

Last edited:

Pejo

I'm not saying they didn't "censor" some of those games. They clearly did. But they clearly liked this game too and signed them to a deal. They didn'y avoid anything. Sony clearly liked it for what it was.

Sony signed them up to be their 1st Korean "second party partner". So again.......they liked it with the sexiness and all. Sony chose them. Nothing snuck by them.

Sony choosing and signing them has zero correlation to censorship and internal policies.

Why is it so hard to just admit that (so far at least) ShiftUp seems to be able to make the game they want. I think we're both on the same side that it's a good thing. I'm just surprised in a good way that they've made it through this far without getting forced to tone things down, whereas you are treating it like there was never a reason to worry (and there definitely was, which was what my initial matrix post was all about).

yurinka

If Jimbo and Hermen got their current positions in 2019 they must have greenlighted the game started from there forward. If not, who greenlighted them?

And regarding the games alreade under development before 2019 someone else must have greenlighted them.

Why do you think it's a cop out?

Many of these claims of Sony censorship have been debunked, they clarified that the censorhip had nothing to do with Sony, but with the western publisher wanting to get a lower age rating (often in US) to put its retail version in more retailers. Sometimes it only applied to Sony because it was the only version getting a (often retail) version there. The age rating isn't something managed by Sony, there are independent organizations who handle it, like ESRB in USA or PEGI in EU.

Sony allows sexy characters, or even nudes and sex scenes. But they demand the games to get the adequate age rating for its content and to fulfill the national regulations of each country (applied to all games of all platforms in some cases, or to all retail versions of all platforms in other cases).

Last edited:

yurinka

As an example you can read some of the links provided that supposedly shown how Sony censored the game, but instead they shown that was an age rating thing.

On top of that, if Sony would be the one censoring it would be applied to all games and in all regions. But there are other games with sexy girls, nudes or sex scenes on PS, even in games published by Sony themselves.

Pejo

As an example you can read some of the links provided that supposedly shown how Sony censored the game, but instead they shown that was an age rating thing.

On top of that, if Sony would be the one censoring it would be applied to all games and in all regions. But there are other games with sexy girls, nudes or sex scenes on PS, even in games published by Sony themselves.
I don't think you understand the concept of "show me the receipts".

*edit*

Here I did some extra reading for you:

Senran Kagura dev: Sony - 1 | Age rating thing - 0
Takaki was talking specifically about PlayStation’s new guidelines, but he was clear that simply switching platforms may not be a solution, as he feels that the regulations will spread to every platform and genre eventually.

DMCV: Sony - 2 | Age rating thing - 0
Fans have noticed that in Devil May Cry 5 there are additional lens flares in the PlayStation 4 version of the game, obscuring a shot of Trish’s derriere. Interestingly, the light rays are not present in the Xbox One or PC versions of the game – nor are they included in the NTSC version either.

Lisa: Sony - 3 | Age rating thing - 0
Most notably, a significant change that has affected all versions — including Xbox and Nintendo Switch editions — has been made in two scenes that were deemed racist. On top of that, Sony has asked for more changes to be made to content elsewhere in order for the game to release on PS5, PS4.

Silverio Trinity (VN): Sony - 4 | Age rating thing 0
Console versions of ages 18 and up titles are generally edited to meet the requirements of platform holders and ratings boards, but recent regulations imposed by Sony Interactive Entertainment have taken a stricter approach to such edits compared to the past. Silverio Trinity is one of several titles to be affected.

Aokana (VN): Sony - 5 | Age rating thing - 0
Their full statement reads, “We have recently received many requests for clarification around the potential of scene modification on our upcoming Visual Novel release Aokana: Four Rhythm Across the Blue. These changes apply to the PlayStation 4 version only and contain amendments to a selection of images and text found in the game.”

Doki Doki Literature Club: Sony - 6 | Age rating thing - 0
I had already decided long ago that if I was required to remove specific scenes from DDLC in order to publish it to a platform, then I would not publish it to that platform. And as you know, DDLC Plus is coming to all major consoles, so you can be assured that no scenes have been removed!

However, the PlayStation version of the game has some visual changes to one of the scenes.

So on and so forth. You can him and haw at "oh it's not a big deal, it's just a shot here or image there or bla bla bla" or handwave it in any number of ways, but Sony is the driving force behind additional censorship above what CERO/ESRB requires.

I also find your "Debunked" comment to not really hold much water, not that most of this made much of a wave outside of the anime VN circles to even be talked about much.

Last edited:
yep, im starting to see the usual suspects using this game as ammo.

It's going to be very interesting how things develop in the upcoming months and what kind of approach Sony takes to market this game.

I also think is going to pop up in YT channels that usually talk about Hollywood/Disney. and i know certain individuals blame PlayStation for following "The message". the fact that sony is publishing this games is going to generate some funny remarks about it. 🤣😂

mckmas8808

If Jimbo and Hermen got their current positions in 2019 they must have greenlighted the game started from there forward. If not, who greenlighted them?

And regarding the games alreade under development before 2019 someone else must have greenlighted them.

Why do you think it's a cop out?

It's a cop-out because we will never truly know who greenlit what games. That'll be tough to find out. Even if a game was greenlit before he started, it's still on him to help guide the marketing of the games and monitor the progress of them all. And it's on him to manage the ethos of Playstation and how it's viewed by the hardcore fans and the greater gaming public during his tenure.

This GAAS push that's been "kinda" killed now, goes on his record. That's 100% on him. But also the PS5's launch and steady sells growth is also on his record.

Last edited:

yurinka

It's a cop-out because we will never truly know who greenlit what games. That'll be tough to find out. Even if a game was greenlit before he started, it's still on him to help guide the marketing of the games and monitor the progress of them all. And it's on him to manage the ethos of Playstation and how it's viewed by the hardcore fans and the greater gaming public during his tenure.

This GAAS push that's been "kinda" killed now, goes on his record. That's 100% on him. But also the PS5's launch and steady sells growth is also on his record.
Can't be a cop-out because starting 2019 he was the only one able to sign games as deals as CEO of SIE, and same goes with Hermen under him for the PS Studios games.

As CEO, he has experts under him for each specific thing. Like a marketing team who makes research and campaigns and depending on results tweaks their strategy. As CEO he basically only sees the results reported by the marketing boss and may ask that boss to focus a bit more here or there depending on such results.

Same goes with the 1st party games. Hermen and his PS Studios teams may report him telling that this or that type of games are this or that popular or makes this or that amount of money, and looking in the context of the market and its trends and projection may decide that they need to expand on this or that direction. The CEO may verify with finances team that they can afford it and that it makes sense, then he'd agree and sign it.

Then Hermen and his team decide that, following their strategy, may decide that this or that specific 1st or 2nd party game is worth to be greenlighted, to pass or not certain milestone, or get delayed or cancelled. And both Jim and Hermen sign it. I mean, Jim won't go there to play and analize the details of the game projects. Hermen and other experts will tell him that the game is worth it and he will sign them.

But in addition to the things he personally signed/greenlighted, following the guiding and reports from the experts under him, there's a lot of projects that were set/greenlighted and started to be developed before him that he can't simply kill all of them. He has to follow most of the strategy set before him. And here comes things like GaaS or PC stuff, they were started before him and basically followed these projects, only killing one of the GaaS (and apparently was ND who decided to kill it, not Hermen or Jim).

They decided that it was worth to make a dozen GaaS and started to work on most of them before him. He became CEO and did greenlight a few of the remaining ones and decided to acquire Bungie to have a few more and provide extra help, knowledge and expertise to the other ones.

They decided to don't greenlight more pretty likely because they think that with a dozen or so franchises with GaaS is enough and that to have more would be to oversaturate their userbase. And that a handful of them will end cancelled or will fail, as non-GaaS do.

That doesn't mean the GaaS killed. It means that as of now they already have enough and that Jimbo will have released 4 and cancelled 1 of the 12 GaaS, so there will be 7 under development plus a few more at Bungie that may not be counting there.

And these are the ones targeted at the traditional console market ones. There's also the GaaS being in the works targeting the mobile (maybe + PC + console too in most cases) mostly Asian market in the works in places like NC Soft, Neon Koi and other ones that may be signed since they signed deals with Tencent, CyGames+Kadokawa, Akatsuki and so on.

So no, the GaaS push isn't killed at all. It continues at full steam. And as they keep releasing them and continue growing they'll move to work on new ones. It would be stupid to don't do it when they generate the majority of the game revenue.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Can't be a cop-out because starting 2019 he was the only one able to sign games as deals as CEO of SIE, and same goes with Hermen under him for the PS Studios games.

As CEO, he has experts under him for each specific thing. Like a marketing team who makes research and campaigns and depending on results tweaks their strategy. As CEO he basically only sees the results reported by the marketing boss and may ask that boss to focus a bit more here or there depending on such results.

Same goes with the 1st party games. Hermen and his PS Studios teams may report him telling that this or that type of games are this or that popular or makes this or that amount of money, and looking in the context of the market and its trends and projection may decide that they need to expand on this or that direction. The CEO may verify with finances team that they can afford it and that it makes sense, then he'd agree and sign it.

Then Hermen and his team decide that, following their strategy, may decide that this or that specific 1st or 2nd party game is worth to be greenlighted, to pass or not certain milestone, or get delayed or cancelled. And both Jim and Hermen sign it. I mean, Jim won't go there to play and analize the details of the game projects. Hermen and other experts will tell him that the game is worth it and he will sign them.

But in addition to the things he personally signed/greenlighted, following the guiding and reports from the experts under him, there's a lot of projects that were set/greenlighted and started to be developed before him that he can't simply kill all of them. He has to follow most of the strategy set before him. And here comes things like GaaS or PC stuff, they were started before him and basically followed these projects, only killing one of the GaaS (and apparently was ND who decided to kill it, not Hermen or Jim).

They decided that it was worth to make a dozen GaaS and started to work on most of them before him. He became CEO and did greenlight a few of the remaining ones and decided to acquire Bungie to have a few more and provide extra help, knowledge and expertise to the other ones.

They decided to don't greenlight more pretty likely because they think that with a dozen or so franchises with GaaS is enough and that to have more would be to oversaturate their userbase. And that a handful of them will end cancelled or will fail, as non-GaaS do.

That doesn't mean the GaaS killed. It means that as of now they already have enough and that Jimbo will have released 4 and cancelled 1 of the 12 GaaS, so there will be 7 under development plus a few more at Bungie that may not be counting there.

And these are the ones targeted at the traditional console market ones. There's also the GaaS being in the works targeting the mobile (maybe + PC + console too in most cases) mostly Asian market in the works in places like NC Soft, Neon Koi and other ones that may be signed since they signed deals with Tencent, CyGames+Kadokawa, Akatsuki and so on.

So no, the GaaS push isn't killed at all. It continues at full steam. And as they keep releasing them and continue growing they'll move to work on new ones. It would be stupid to don't do it when they generate the majority of the game revenue.

- I don't believe for a second that ND killed Factions. It's just all PR noise to me. If it is true, then Sony is TOTALLY screwing up giving individual teams that much latitude and power. But again, I don't buy it.

- Sony just announced 2 months ago that they are delaying half of their live service games. That news came out the first week of November. (https://www.gameinformer.com/news/2...of-its-planned-playstation-live-service-games)

- A little over 3 months ago Jim Ryan announced that he we leaving Sony. (https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/27/23893389/sony-playstation-jim-ryan-ceo-steps-down)

- There's zero percent chance I'm also going to be those last two points aren't connected. There's been a shift already within Playstation since Jim's announcement to leave.

- It's becoming more clear that Sony is cleaning up Jim's mess when it comes to his view of GaaS games, relative to Playstation. Certain games and teams make sense, but they are clearly pulling back from how they were talking one year ago. I'm assuming we can agree there.

Fake

Dude, was a game with ladies on Nintendo Switch that got replaced with furries on Playstation lmao. I quite sure whatever Playstation Studios in California hate sexy women.

Last edited:

yurinka

- I don't believe for a second that ND killed Factions. It's just all PR noise to me. If it is true, then Sony is TOTALLY screwing up giving individual teams that much latitude and power. But again, I don't buy it.

- Sony just announced 2 months ago that they are delaying half of their live service games. That news came out the first week of November. (https://www.gameinformer.com/news/2...of-its-planned-playstation-live-service-games)

- A little over 3 months ago Jim Ryan announced that he we leaving Sony. (https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/27/23893389/sony-playstation-jim-ryan-ceo-steps-down)

- There's zero percent chance I'm also going to be those last two points aren't connected. There's been a shift already within Playstation since Jim's announcement to leave.

- It's becoming more clear that Sony is cleaning up Jim's mess when it comes to his view of GaaS games, relative to Playstation. Certain games and teams make sense, but they are clearly pulling back from how they were talking one year ago. I'm assuming we can agree there.
Totoki said that they continued working on all the GaaS and that as of now was that their plan was to release half of them as planned and the other ones still to be decided ("they were working on it"), leading to think they were delayed or were going to be delayed and weren't sure if they were going to reach the original March 2026 milestone, very likely multiple of them missing it.

We saw that one of them, TLOU Online ended being cancelled later. They didn't move it to other team and didn't announce that was going to be replaced by Uncharted Online. That would be the case if Sony would be the one pushing it and not ND. But they said that ND will focus instead on non-GaaS SP titles only.

This game existed because ND wanted to make an MP mode for TLOU2 but they weren't able to release it on time, and branching it now to a separate game allowed them to achieve all their ambitions and go beyond, instead of cutting its scope to deliver it as part of TLOU2. ND was the one who decided to make it and who decided to kill it (obviously with the overview/greenlight from the PS Studios + SIE HQ editorial team).

A game cancelled and a few ones delayed won't make a CEO resign, this is laughable because that's norrmal business in gaming and that CEO has breaking all kind of records while he has been there. There's no Jim mess, there are many Jim records records instead. A few of them being record revenue, profit and amount of games under development.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Dude, was a game with ladies on Nintendo Switch that got replaced with furries on Playstation lmao. I quite sure whatever Playstation Studios in California hate sexy women.

Well, one thing's for certain,the artwork in that game is certainly not 'sexy women'. I drew better when I was first trying manga art when I was about 12 years old.

It's thanks to Shu (the only working brain in Sony Playstation) that we got this on PS5. He got Mihoyo on board and now he made it with Shift-Up, which, for those who don't know, is top-notch in mobile RPGs. I have played their 2 other games and both are excellent (music, art, worldbuilding, story). They are hardcore Nier fans and I have no doubt this will be a banger.

Same as in Nier, the usual suspects will lower the score because "reasons". The script is already written. I just hope Sony listens to the people who actually play games, something they have not been doing lately.

Sony had no choice. Shift-Up's CEO is also the artist behind the designs of their games and you don't tell the fucking CEO how to do his job. I'm pretty certain that Sony would have preferred another MJ as a main character but that was never on the table. Shift-Up would have signed with someone else instead.

Sony had no choice. Shift-Up's CEO is also the artist behind the designs of their games and you don't tell the fucking CEO how to do his job. I'm pretty certain that Sony would have preferred another MJ as a main character but that was never on the table. Shift-Up would have signed with someone else instead.
sony didn't censor

Go_Ly_Dow

Has anyone here picked up on how the release dates are ordered on this blogpost which if the case suggests Stellar Blade will release between March 22nd and June 4th.
🧐

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Has anyone here picked up on how the release dates are ordered on this blogpost which if the case suggests Stellar Blade will release between March 22nd and June 4th.
🧐
My guess is that Stellar Blade may be a PS5 Pro launch game. The game does look beautiful and will be an excellent showcase at native 4K 60 FPS or 1440p 120 FPS.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
My guess is that Stellar Blade may be a PS5 Pro launch game. The game does look beautiful and will be an excellent showcase at native 4K 60 FPS or 1440p 120 FPS.
I hope not. This would stink of changing plans during production and this can mean disaster. The game basic idea was already there in 2019. And it was supposed to be out in 2023. I would prefer for it to not be pushed back one year. This would mean more changes than a normal delay would imply. And the game don't really need it. As long as the game is good, they can patch it later.

Top Bottom