• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hmmm.... Reason why Riddick looks awesome

The Bookerman said:
crytek licensed the technology.

They licensed THEIR engine, not the technology. Every new games will probably use this technology (Normal maps). Crytek only made an engine capable of running the "Polybump" in their games, or games with their engine.

Littleberu said:
Crytek didn't invent Normal Mapping. Ahaha.

The card makers did create the onboard algorithms...

as for the tools. As far as I know, Crytek was the first to offer tools to the developping community.

ced

Well ID uses the same thing for D3, as is bungie for Halo 2.

They may call em different things but theyre the same, I dont think you can really find the pioneer of it, besides the hardware developers.

The Bookerman said:
The card makers did create the onboard algorithms...

as for the tools. As far as I know, Crytek was the first to offer tools to the developping community.

Nah, I really don't think so. Normal Mapping is offered in 3Ds Max even without the "Crytek" License. People can create their own engine with Normal Mapping in it. It's the same thing as any other textures technology (like bump mapping or alpha maps).

FightyF

Banned
Serious Sam 2 uses 3Dc normal maps. 3Dc = bettar

In related news the FarCry MOD SDK will be released on the 14th of this month.

Pimpbaa

Yusaku said:
Al Gore invented normal mapping!

Thief III gets my vote for best practical use of normal mapping yet.

It was indeed pretty nice in Thief III. Riddick makes some good use of it as well. It's barely noticeable most of the time in Far Cry.

Prine

Banned
The rail gun effects are jaw dropping. Think matrix revolutions ending with all the crazy guns ripping up the scenery. Hats off to Starbreeze, a phenomenal achivement.

Littleberu said:
They licensed THEIR engine, not the technology. Every new games will probably use this technology (Normal maps). Crytek only made an engine capable of running the "Polybump" in their games, or games with their engine.

NO what he means is that Riddick is using a normal mapping algorithm that Starbreeze coded from scratch. This is mentioned on the G4 TV special, and is on the bonus DVD you got if you pre-ordered the game. They talk about this technique very extensively. The Crytek engine is a whole other affiar. The models do look similar but there are differnces which I'm sure that people more tech savy than myself can list.

Now if the games wasn't so full of jaggies, clipping, etc. I might have been able to appreciate all that fancy coding. :(

On a 50" HDTV monitor the jaggies almost took my eyes out...

Even the wife commented at how bad it looked (a box with moving pictures and sound is good enough for her usually).

Then I think the game heard my comments and corrupted my save file. I was up to chapter 24 or 25 and now I'm back to the beginning.

I hate you Riddick.....

....but I'll see you tonight.

:D

ced

Prine said:
The rail gun effects are jaw dropping. Think matrix revolutions ending with all the crazy guns ripping up the scenery. Hats off to Starbreeze, a phenomenal achivement.

Did I miss something?

There is a rail gun in riddick?

wait a fucking minute here... riddick looks awesome?

did i get a bad copy or something, because mine looks like a jaggy piece of shit as soon as you start to move...

the gameplay is decent to good, but the graphics are nothing to talk about... unless you're standing still...

Apharmd Battler said:
NO what he means is that Riddick is using a normal mapping algorithm that Starbreeze coded from scratch. This is mentioned on the G4 TV special, and is on the bonus DVD you got if you pre-ordered the game. They talk about this technique very extensively. The Crytek engine is a whole other affiar. The models do look similar but there are differnces which I'm sure that people more tech savy than myself can list.

That is what I'm trying to say.

i think the game looks good. at times, it has an almost cg-quality. splinter cell on the xbox is the only other game that i've thought that about. i'll admit that there are some nasty jaggies at times, but other times the game looks phenomenal. also, the game has great presentation. i dug every minute of it.

to make things even better, i got my copy brand new for $29.99. the people at target had it in a slot that was adorned with a "sale!" sticker and listed the price as $29.99. their mistake was my gain!

edit: plus the game gets props in my book for throwing the word "motherfucker" around like nobody's business!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Crytek did not invent the normal mapping technology. They just own the trademark for the term "Polybump".
As for Starbreeze, they got one of the guys I consider as one of the top coders in the world. Magnus Högdahl who was known as Vogue from the group Triton back in the good old non accelerated PC demo days. It's the guys who coded most of the effects from the stunning demo "Crystal Dream 2", who sported one of the first pratical Z-Buffer implementation in realtime (and an incredible realtime chess game in 3D). He also coded with MrH the well renown Fasttracker 2, a amiga-mod like tracker for the PC, and one if the THE most popular. He was also the coder of "Into the Shadows" a never released that looked incredibly good for the time. The realtime demo of the game was stunning, it looked WAY better than quake who was released one year later.
So count on Starbreeze to stay on par with ID software in terms of technology :)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Tenguman said:
This game not being available on the PC is a crime.

You sure it's not scheduled to be released later on? The same thing happened with Enclave, too.

Top Bottom