• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy for Nintendo Switch releases on November 14 | First Trailer Released

Draugoth

Gold Member

Hogwarts Legacy is coming to Nintendo Switch on November 14, 2023.

Pre-order today

Experience the wizarding world in a forgotten era to uncover a hidden truth from its past. Battle against trolls, dark wizards, and more as you face a dangerous villain. Take control of the action and be at the center of your own adventure in the wizarding world. Your legacy is what you make of it.

Last edited:
I'm actually impressed at the downgrade.

It looks like dog-shit though. To be expected.

Scalability can be an important factor, it was hugely important for PC gaming of the 90's and early 2000's. It became less prioritized as development budgets skyrocketed and consoles homogenized so many requirements.

Last edited:
hmm i could see this selling pretty dang well. good call to release much later.
I imagine the down-porting involved a lot of work and this was the soonest they could do it. Originally planned for July, but the porting work didn't start until earlier this year, as I recall.

I wonder what the loading will be like in Hogwarts Castle.

That was pretty next gen which everyone took for granted. Walking through Hogwarts was almost completely seamless on ps5, XSX. The loading was far more obtrusive in the last gen versions

Chupanibre

It's nice to see yet another port where the developers make good use of the most freely available image scaler for the Switch.

WE6fL1d.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Someone tag the cucks at Digital Foundry.

How often do we see a game engine scaling from high end PC all the way down to the Switch and hitting every console in between?

And yet crickets from DF.
They took their time to do so, this is a lot of custom work. Still, people know it is never like flicking a switch when you target higher end consoles first.

blacktout

How often do we see a game engine scaling from high end PC all the way down to the Switch and hitting every console in between?

I bet we'll see a DF video on release day or soon thereafter. This is just too enticing a subject to ignore.

Kikorin

What? It looks worse than the PS5/Xbox Series version? Why? How? Fuck these devs!

Joking, it looks surprisingly good, but this is not "gameplay", more like cutscenes, waiting to see framerate during real gameplay.

If the performance holds up then that's actually looking like a very impressive port job. Will really come down to performance though.

BlackTron

Did we watch the same trailer? Looks super fine for a switch game.

It looks fine for a Switch port of this graphically demanding game. Which, lets face it, is still shit.

I dare say the job is impressive even. But you can't tell me your eyes don't bleed looking at that.

Edit: I wonder if you guys are watching the video on small phone screens

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
It looks kinda similar to The Switcher, and I liked that. I liked Switcher more in the Blood & Wine area where it felt more bright and alive. Trailer is kinda dark but I guess that's the HP vibe.

I may buy this, after a few patches and a sale.

winjer

Gold Member
Considering this is for the Switch, it looks good. Almost impressive the game runs on such meager hardware.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The comments here are like for a different game or something, lol, that looks perfectly fine. If performance is stable. It didn't look like a bland mess like Witcher 3 can at times or like Ark at launch or like the early MK1 videos, character faces look and animate nicely, spells, lighting, shadows are in...

Just one instance that seemed to imply performance issues in whatever that round lake, well, whatever surface, hopefully they've otherwise taken care to redo most of the other visual effects so that they still look okay with less particles, transparencies or whatever causes the performance drop there.

Last edited:

CamHostage

I wonder what the loading will be like in Hogwarts Castle.

That's what I'm most concerned about. The trailer looks fine for the most part (some of the effects like dragons emerging from clouds are missing layers and effects needed to sell the reality, but then facial animation and framerate appears fine (albeit no controlled gameplay appears to have been shown) and the sense of the world is there. It's not a game tuned at all to the Switch's abilities, instead it's cut down significantly from an already requirement-intensive high-end game, but especially in portable form I could see this being a pleasant way to experience the story and mess around in the world. However, if traversal is heavily hampered by loading times, that would be a real issue.

(Too bad Switch could never upgrade its IO and storage solution; I'm hopeful the next hardware focuses on instant access because that's been a bigger impact on gaming than the graphical progress with this gen's consoles.)

Zathalus

Honestly if you really want to play this game on the go the Steam Deck would be the way to do it. Medium settings, 800p, FSR2 Quality, 30FPS cap. With the new OLED model you even get HDR.

Hugare

I wonder what some of you were expecting from the Switch

Seem like it will be one of the best looking open world games on the hardware.

No shit that it looks bad when compared to next gen. That was never the point.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I wonder what some of you were expecting from the Switch

Seem like it will be one of the best looking open world games on the hardware.

No shit that it looks bad when compared to next gen. That was never the point.
It's the same people who expect Switch 2 to have 4K60FPSRTHDRLGBTQ.

Laieon

Taking into account the Switch's specs, I'm legitimately impressed at what they managed to accomplish with this.

Honestly if you really want to play this game on the go the Steam Deck would be the way to do it. Medium settings, 800p, FSR2 Quality, 30FPS cap. With the new OLED model you even get HDR.

Love my Steamdeck, but it's battery life is nowhere near as good as my Switch OLED's and it's also a lot beefier. As someone who is all about one bag travel (and usually just travels with a big backpack), if I'm truly looking to play Hogwarts on the go (and not just portably at home), I think Switch makes a ton more sense just because it takes up less real estate and has a better battery.

We'll see how it fares in actual gameplay though, these graphics ain't great but I'd be find with settling for them. If the game runs at 15 FPS, that's another story, and I'm usually the kind of person who things 30 is fine as long as it's stable.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

They've done a tech review for all releases so far so I don't see how this would be any different.

Last edited:
Conjurus sh'ton monius

While perhaps not of the technical type of wizards some were thinking of, it it looks perfectly fine for what it's running on. Switch owners know damn well what to expect with that hardware.

Zathalus

Taking into account the Switch's specs, I'm legitimately impressed at what they managed to accomplish with this.

Love my Steamdeck, but it's battery life is nowhere near as good as my Switch OLED's and it's also a lot beefier. As someone who is all about one bag travel (and usually just travels with a big backpack), if I'm truly looking to play Hogwarts on the go (and not just portably at home), I think Switch makes a ton more sense just because it takes up less real estate and has a better battery.

We'll see how it fares in actual gameplay though, these graphics ain't great but I'd be find with settling for them. If the game runs at 15 FPS, that's another story, and I'm usually the kind of person who things 30 is fine as long as it's stable.
The new Steam Deck has a bigger battery and the screen and SoC consume less power. The current deck does the settings I mentioned at just over 2 hours so the new deck should get around 3 hours on battery life. Drop settings down to low and you can lower the TDP to get close to 4-4.5 hours while still looking quite a bit better then the Switch version.

It's a bit lighter as well so the trade off would be 420g vs 640g and larger device but you get similar battery life and a better looking game with a really bright HDR screen.

Kilau

I know youtube compression is still shit but looks like major cutbacks to get this running, not sure what the people saying it looks good are watching.

HOOQZmK.jpg

Hope it sells millions on Switch.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I know youtube compression is still shit but looks like major cutbacks to get this running, not sure what the people saying it looks good are watching.

HOOQZmK.jpg

Hope it sells millions on Switch.

It looks HORRIBLE! Plain and simple. I don't hope it sells millions. But if it does, I'm not going to be mad.

Top Bottom