• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy | Review Thread

anthony2690

Banned
Fuck it, I'm going to buy someone a copy of the game. Is there anyone in the United Kingdom who wants a free copy of the Deluxe Edition?

I will buy it for you right now on Steam, PS5, or Xbox Series (not PS4/XB1/Switch). If you're on Steam I'll gift it to you. If you're on console I'll send you £75 of codes to buy it as long as you promise you don't go and buy another game lol.

EDIT: I should say that I've gifted a copy so you're too late if you're seeing this. Sorry!!
Can always gift another copy ;)

mr-bean-wink.gif

anthony2690

Banned
A bit of respect lost for John, he could've handled this more professionally and just said he doesn't like the IP and isn't interested in open world games, like he has said in the past, without the meltdown.

He honestly needs to stop letting people on social media get to him, maybe step back and take a break for his own mental health and focus on the stuff he enjoys.

But I guess everyone has a breaking point.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I just stumbled upon this gem.
I've just finished watching ALL 8 movies (only ever seen first three as a teen) and loved it.
Now I will get to the game at last but first I wanted to check out older HP games and look at that?
Back when Giantbomb was amazing. Ryan was such an incredible character. 4:50 "and Harry tried futile to hide his erection" .... I cracekd up. I remember watching this back in the day and never playing the games.
RIP man. rip. Even Vinny is fun with Ryan there.

ByWatterson

You‘re acting just like them. Ralph’s stated why he isn’t playing it. It’s not because he’s afraid of the crowd you currently sound just like.

I'm just talking about John. Didn't realize I quoted your post on Ralph. My fault.

Ralph is one person who cranks out 30-minute reviews. Not a team of people who count pixels and tell me which platform has better framerates.

So, apologies again. Ralph, sure, not DF.

Last edited:

Jaybe

A bit of respect lost for John, he could've handled this more professionally and just said he doesn't like the IP and isn't interested in open world games, like he has said in the past, without the meltdown.

He honestly needs to stop letting people on social media get to him, maybe step back and take a break for his own mental health and focus on the stuff he enjoys.

But I guess everyone has a breaking point.

Yeah, this isn’t his first time showing his particular brand of crazy on Twitter. Dude needs to lay off but you just know he won’t. Should have been way more professional. I’ve unsubbed from DF.

Vick

Last edited:
Might be just apocryphal, but A middle aged colleague who has never had a console before asked me how she could play the game
I explained her options and I'm pretty sure she went and bought a series S bundle after work yesterday.

I look forward t hearing how she got on next week, I tried t warn her that there are a lot of systems in play, she didn't even know what RPG stood for...

Sales of this game will be immense.

The devs account for this. Theres a lot of baby's first rpg aspect to the game. Not even the overly long tutorial. Ui stuff like a redundant minimap, a big glowing triangle on npc's who you need to follow etc. Good on the devs that you can make the ui as clean or cluttered as possible.

Last edited:
Being open world didnt stop him from covering both Horizon games, that are mediocre, specially compared to Hogwarts Legacy

Dude is paid for covering games. Fuck his enjoyment. Imagine only working with what you want. The entitlement.
Linneman is a liar for claiming he hates open world games, and a man-baby of the worst kind for throwing a wobbly like this over being asked why he isn't doing his fucking job.

Imagine a cleaner acting like this because they didn't want to go to some particularly unpleasant location. And this turd gets paid to play fucking video games and he's acting like his world has fallen in over a few questions related to that. 'Oh woe is me, I'd better flounce off twitter and then scoop up all the sympathy posts a few days later when I inevitably return.'

Thinner skin than a dragonfly's wings.

Last edited:

Eotheod

It was bound to happen. Almost like you actually can seperate game from real world politics because it has no ties bar the original concept. Even then, the concept was born from a series that came another 100+ odd years later then the set timeline of the game. I also like how I got banned for pointing out I can both play and support trans rights, yet apparently when the admins do it it's fine.

Last edited:

Freeza93

Banned
Being open world didnt stop him from covering both Horizon games, that are mediocre, specially compared to Hogwarts Legacy

Dude is paid for covering games. Fuck his enjoyment. Imagine only working with what you want. The entitlement.
Absolutely this. Imagine having a job and saying this? Unbelievable.

This dude never had to work hard once in his life and it shows.

Why cant he ignore the insults? Who cares? What is wrong with you?

People here could call me whatever they want all day here. Who cares its just letters they dont hurt. Most of people who do this feel safe behind their monitor. They would never dare to do this face to face. Its exactly like mike tyson said. But what to expect from men where the wife has more testosterone.

Ridiculous awww wahhh my feewwing some random hates on me ….jesus christ if i would work for DF i would love to only review the „ controversial games“ and i would tell em right to fuck off while at it. I invite all of them to my door step.

John grow some balls do your fucking job and ignore these fuckers. They can only bully you because you allow it. I mean you clearly show it affects you which they love. As my mother always said if someone’s an asshole you need to be even more friendly and respectful to them and smiling. Its driving them insane.

Fox Mulder

Interestingly enough, Jeff Gerstmann is also not playing it but he might just not be interested since he usually stream retro games.
lobosjr also not playing it.... I swear if you go on twitch and look at my followed streamers, it's very weird. I know who always plays newest releases and I am really to believe that they choose to play some crap indie or other games this whole week? nah. nope.

if someone isn’t playing it and screeching about it, whatever. More people should live life just ignoring things they don’t like.

What’s hilarious is how Gamespot isn’t reviewing the game and then still posting gameplay and tip videos so they come up in searches from the normal people playing the game because they need the money. What a brave stand.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Thanks.
You know what even though i partially feel the same way (i dont mind open world and think it fits Potter) this is still pretty cringe and ironicly pretty childish...like "dude get a grip". No wonder he deleted it.
When I saw that meme pic, I thought it was fake where someone exaggerated a post of his. Over the years, it seemed like he got grilled by people. I dont follow this guy close enough so I assumed he was unfairly getting hit on the head by zealots.

Maybe the mob is right. The guy is an off-kilter crybaby after all. That's video game people for ya. You can always count on them being wacky and unprofessional on social media.

Even funnier is how he tries to validate his view about hating open world games as bullet point, yet people say he's covered open world games in the past no problem. Total bullshitter.

Frexerik88

Neo Member
The controversy around this game is really funny considering that this is one of the most diverse and inclusive games i have ever played..

The controversy around this game is really funny considering that this is one of the most diverse and inclusive games i have ever played..

And one of the few games whose use of diversity and inclusion is not a euphemism for pandering and exclusion.

I've seen those two words, along with the phrase "modern audience," be used way too much. Especially with the latter, those words are often a shield from being criticized for making unnecessary changes to existing characters, dialogue, mechanics, what have you.

Digression aside, I'd use the D and I words as positive praise for the game when talking about it with other people.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Interestingly enough, Jeff Gerstmann is also not playing it but he might just not be interested since he usually stream retro games.
lobosjr also not playing it.... I swear if you go on twitch and look at my followed streamers, it's very weird. I know who always plays newest releases and I am really to believe that they choose to play some crap indie or other games this whole week? nah. nope.

Not surprised Jeff isn't interested, this seems like something he would really hate (I mean, that includes most games).

Rudius

It's always remarkable how much seething rancor exists just under the surface of these people. Judgment and malice, distilled and always ready to deploy.

Can't imagine why games journalism is dying.
Not his case. He is good at his job, this ranting is cause by some other issue he has.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Hahahha, why am I not surprised shits like that are all talk, but when push comes to shove, suddenly their beliefs *poof* vanish.

Dunkey made a hilarious video, mods closed his OT on ERA just for discussing it, not even posting it.

The devs could be responsible for killing children for all I care.
As long as the game is good and I have fun, that’s all I care for.

Ar¢tos

The devs could be responsible for killing children for all I care.
As long as the game is good and I have fun, that’s all I care for.
When I pay for a game, I pay to not care about who created it (or its lore) or under what circumstances, I pay to enjoy the game only.
If a game is free then I'll consider those things.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
lol you could have just said that
I suspect that it was not always getting covered and rather a certain amount of bet hedging was going on
i really would love to be a participant in one of these meetings.. "what's that chaps? a woke twitter mob is threatening to come after us if we do our job and review a game? how about we simply reply to the first few with a big Fuck Off and then ignore the rest? good? job done..."

LoveCake

Richard says in the video, they wouldn't be able to win either way, but they are covering the game, the game is too big and too good for Digital Foundry not to cover it, also they didn't get a code early either as WB wanted them to wait until the day-one patch.

Last edited:

Moneal

Richard says in the video, they wouldn't be able to win either way, but they are covering the game, the game is too big and too good for Digital Foundry not to cover it, also they didn't get a code early either as WB wanted them to wait until the day-one patch.
Sure they could have won. Just say DF will be covering it when they have access, and ignore the tiny minority who will bitch about that.

Top Bottom