• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollow Knight: Silksong will launch by June 2023.

Lognor

Banned
That looked sick. Is it launching everywhere day one? Probably will get the xsx version over switch since it's included in game pass

Fbh

Game still looks great but I'll take that release window with a grain of salt.

It's just based on MS saying all the games from their showing will release within 12 months.

But games get delayed all the time even when they have previously anounced a specific release date. So this doesn't mean much

skit_data

This actually launches on all consoles and PC except the Playstation ones? Wtf! I thought Nintendo had some marketing agreement and it was exclusive to Switch and PC but now it’s coming to everything except the only system I own? Wth!

Infamy v1

This actually launches on all consoles and PC except the Playstation ones? Wtf! I thought Nintendo had some marketing agreement and it was exclusive to Switch and PC but now it’s coming to everything except the only system I own? Wth!

Their team is extremely small, hence originally being exclusive to Switch. Odds are MS did what they do in cases like this and send a team out to help get the game on their platform, combined with a Game Pass bag (which is a massive get for the devs and Game Pass so win/win).

skit_data

Their team is extremely small, hence originally being exclusive to Switch. Odds are MS did what they do in cases like this and send a team out to help get the game on their platform, combined with a Game Pass bag (which is a massive get for the devs and Game Pass so win/win).
Yeah, hopefully it won’t take them too long to get PS version underway. I could probably use my computer but I prefer playing stuff like this on my TV.

Swift_Star

Banned
Microsoft clearly moneyhatted the game.

yurinka

It was originally announced only for Switch, maybe Nintendo moneyhatted them to do so. Maybe MS moneyhatted them to don't announce the PS version until later. Or who knows, maybe they also got moneyhatted release the PS version later, some months after the other versions, as happened with some other indies.

skit_data

It was originally announced only for Switch, maybe Nintendo moneyhatted them to do so. Maybe MS moneyhatted them to don't announce the PS version until later. Or who knows, maybe they also got moneyhatted release the PS version later, some months after the other versions, as happened with some other indies.
Playstation better moneyhat that shit as well so that we all can play this at launch and live happily ever after.

Swift_Star

Banned
that’s my guess too. They moneyhatted to keep the game off of PlayStation for a few months. The good thing about this is that, when it launches on PS, it’ll have all the patches and DLC available one release.

yurinka

Playstation better moneyhat that shit as well so that we all can play this at launch and live happily ever after.
PlayStation, like Nintendo or MS moneyhatted a ton of indies. Maybe PS was late or offered less money than MS or Nintendo for this one. But who knows, let's wait and see.

Maybe there isn't moneyhat, it's released day one in all platforms and they simply decided to announce the platforms separatedly over time.

Is hollow knight considered to be a difficult game? I kind of want to give the first one a try but not if it's going to Elden Ring me.

skit_data

Is hollow knight considered to be a difficult game? I kind of want to give the first one a try but not if it's going to Elden Ring me.
It gets pretty difficult, especially later in the game. I haven’t beaten the last DLC boss and I don’t think I ever will.

Edit: With that said it’s mostly the bosses that are difficult, and you almost always have a save point pretty close.

Last edited:

Infamy v1

I think that term is not used for a game that is already far in development?

There's no point arguing with him. He doesn't understand the term "moneyhat" and is just throwing a tantrum because a potential GOTY candidate hasn't been announced for his preferred plastic box despite it being announced 3 years ago as a Switch exclusive.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Is June 2023 not just an assumption based on the ‘you’ll play these games within the next 12 months’? Some of these games will slip beyond that 100%.

Swift_Star

Banned
There's no point arguing with him. He doesn't understand the term "moneyhat" and is just throwing a tantrum because a potential GOTY candidate hasn't been announced for his preferred plastic box despite it being announced 3 years ago as a Switch exclusive.
Paying for not being on a platform is what moneyhat is.
Also, I have a Switch, lmao.

Jaybe

Yes, it’s a difficult game. If you want to play it and complete it, to be safe buy it on PC and at least you can use a difficultly easing mod if you find it too hard/frustrating.

Roberts

Paying for not being on a platform is what moneyhat is.
Also, I have a Switch, lmao.

I can’t show you examples as I’m lazy but over the years I have seen quite a few videos that talk about ID@Xbox program and how they assist indie developers and help to bring a game to xbox. They clearly paid them as well to have it on GP but I seriously doubt anyone at xbox tried to prevent it from coming to PS

SJRB

Gold Member
Is the original really that good?

I saw a lot of "ugh another sidescrolling action game" comments with other titles but people going apeshit over this, but when I watched the trailer nothing really stands out compared to other titles I've seen.

.Pennywise

Banned
Absolutely misleading title. June 2023 could be the release date, as it also could be the 11 months before that. This is what they're referring to

It gets pretty difficult, especially later in the game. I haven’t beaten the last DLC boss and I don’t think I ever will.

Edit: With that said it’s mostly the bosses that are difficult, and you almost always have a save point pretty close.

It's pretty tough, but I was able to beat the base game. Some of the later bosses and platforming sections can get pretty brutal. Getting the nail upgrades and good charms are the key.

The platforming in the secret areas and the boss rush mode is really really really hard

Yes, it’s a difficult game. If you want to play it and complete it, to be safe buy it on PC and at least you can use a difficultly easing mod if you find it too hard/frustrating.

It's reasonably more difficult than Elden Ring, as you can't grind your way out of a hard boss. There's also basically no overpowered options to melt bosses.
Yikes, I guess I can do like Ori and the Will of the Wisps and just go as far as my skills can take me and bail.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Absolutely misleading title. June 2023 could be the release date, as it also could be the 11 months before that. This is what they're referring to

That's what "by June" means.

I saw a lot of "ugh another sidescrolling action game" comments with other titles but people going apeshit over this, but when I watched the trailer nothing really stands out compared to other titles I've seen.

It's definitely not for everyone but it's a super tight, thoughtfully designed Metroidvania with tons of secrets and boss fights. I loved it and will play this day one. But if you don't like that style of game, this probably won't sell you on the genre.

BossLackey

Gold Member

It is very very good, but to me it feels like a lot of people discovered Metroidvanias with Hollow Knight and are completely oblivious to others in the genre. I have a few friends that love Hollow Knight but basically refuse to play Metroid or Castlevania for some reason.

Jaybe

I got em all. So possible at least one of them had Hollow Knight as a freebee and its sitting in one of my libraries somewhere.
Nice. It is on Xbox and PC game pass if you have either of those, and if not, perhaps there’s a $1 first month sub promo you can use (just cancel auto renew). I bought it on switch using another region I believe for about $6. I made it I think 12 or 15 hours until I hit a wall (no spoiler but two of a particular boss at once). I keep meaning to buy again on PC and use a mod just to get past some difficult situations.

ItsGreat

I hope they bake in some accessibility options from the off and ensure less traveling time from restart points. Accessibility options along the lines of what Celeste has to offer.

The jumping in the first one got on my tits. It was like going back to the pixel perfect jumping of the 8-bit microcomputers mixed with a super twitchy in-air movement.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
law and order crazy shit GIF

Fbh

Hollow Knight is awesome, it's easily my favorite metroidvania.
The world is visually striking and fun to explore, with intriguing locations and characters and a lot of lore if you want to get into that, the combat is fun, responsive and fairly challenging with great bosses, and it has a ton of content.
One of my favorite parts is that they have a lot of content which is easy to miss, which makes exploration really rewarding. In other Metroidvania like Metroid Dread you might find a hidden breakable wall that leads into a room with an upgrade. In Hollow Knight you'll find a hidden breakable wall that will take you to a whole new location with a distinct look, unique enemies, an optional boss or some weird new NPC, etc. I spent like 30 hours with the game and then when looking up some lore videos online I'd see locations and bosses I didn't even encounter.

It's not perfect though, the backtracking and moving around the world towards the end can be a bit annoying. And it also takes a few hours to really take off and become more than just another indie metroidvania.

Last edited:
Top Bottom