• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollow Knight vs. Persona 5

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• Hollow Knight

Votes: 113 40.4%
  • Persona 5

Votes: 167 59.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

.Pennywise

Banned
This match is part of the Game of the Generation Tournament. For rules, details and current brackets go to the Tournament thread (Click)

oPDh270.jpg

MrS

Banned
I love challenging games so it's got to be Hollow Knight. The Radiance is one of the best boss fights this gen and took me a good few hours to beat. I love the art style, atmosphere and combat of this game. I think it cost £15.99 (or in the region of) when it launched on PS4 and to get such a beautiful complete package at a bargain price cemented this as one of the best games this gen.

Persona 5, on the other hand, is dog shit.

GymWolf

Persona only got boring after 120 hours, i was done with hollow knight after 10 hours or less and i love metroidvania.

Last edited:

PresetError

Neophyte
Persona 5 is a cool game but has WAY TOO MUCH unnecessary and/or reiterative dialogue, struggles giving freedom to the player and is grindy as fuck.

Hollow Knight it is.

Last edited:
You need to get your shit together and get off fucking NeoGAF to go play both of these.
Well I don't know about other people here on Neogaf, but I only participate in votes with games I have actually played.

And I guess most games that are in the Vote for game of the generation are worthy of a playthrough.
Go play hollow Knight for the next 24 hours then come back.
P5 has an ironic scene with gay people who made reeee mad as hell, it deserve your vote just for this fact alone.

WELL THAN...

no vote it is!

Boss Mog

Why the fuck wasn't this Persona 5 Royal? I feel like there's some people that just wanna shit on Persona so they'll vote for Hollow Knight even though they never even played it.

Arachnid

Persona 5 Royal is the highest rated PS4 exclusive for a reason. That game was amazing from beginning to end. It never got tedious during the whole 100 hr+ playthrough, and it made me a a fan of the series. It should definitely win this, though Hollow Knight is still great for setting the bar for 2D metroidvanias.

More importantly, get into the Resident Evil 2 vs Nier thread and vote for RE2 people! We're almost out of time!

Kayoba

I don't like sidescrollers, so I couldn't get into Hollow Knight.

Persona 5 had me hooked up immidetely though, so my vote goes to the Phantom Thieves.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm not voting in this one... sorry, is too hard to pick one. ^^u

Kayoba

How can you not like sidescrollers?

What year did you start playing games?

Started playing in late 90's and I've played a fair share of that type of games when I grew up.

It's more of a personal preference to why I don't like sidescrollers. I can appreciate the artstyle for sure, but I quickly lose interest when it comes to gameplay.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Started playing in late 90's and I've played a fair share of that type of games when I grew up.

It's more of a personal preference to why I don't like sidescrollers. I can appreciate the artstyle for sure, but I quickly lose interest when it comes to gameplay.
I personally really liked Odin Sphere and Muramasa, basically most Vanillaware games. They make my favourite sidescrollers beat em ups.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Isa

ZZZZ

I started playing in the mid 90's, i was just a little kid and boy did i hate sidescrollers as well, i had Sonic games and Mario and they bored me to death. Chrono Trigger is the game that saved gaming for me.
I did enjoy playing fighting games as a kid with my friends though.

Mozzarella

Both have incredible music and art direction, but Hollow Knight wins on the rest, gameplay, exploration, atmosphere are better, it doesnt have story and characters so writing is N/A. Persona 5 on the other hand has mediocre writing.

So..Hollow Knight for me.

I honestly thought Hollow Knight would take an easy lead here being such a (deserved) forum darling.

But I'm sorry, Persona 5 touches something in me that HK can't touch

And no I'm not talking about my penis

Yet

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Kayoba

I personally really liked Odin Sphere and Muramasa, basically most Vanillaware games. They make my favourite sidescrollers beat em ups.

tenor.gif

Oof, I think I would be terrible at that type of games to be honest. I always got destroyed when I played fighting games like Street Figher and Tekken with my friends. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Though it looks amazing though, especially the last gif that you posted.

I started playing in the mid 90's, i was just a little kid and boy did i hate sidescrollers as well, i had Sonic games and Mario and they bored me to death. Chrono Trigger is the game that saved gaming for me.
I did enjoy playing fighting games as a kid with my friends though.

Looking at pictures of Chrono Trigger, it looks like it's overhead view similar to Final Fantasy. I actually do like these type of games though, I was thinking more along the lines of Super Mario and Sonic games that you mentioned.

Perhaps it was more accurate to say that it's 2D sidescroller platform games that I do not enjoy to play.

Fbh

Hollow Knight for me.
Amazing game and my new favorite metroidvania. Just loved everything about it, the gameplay, awesome boss battles, world and lore, visuals, etc. I even went on to watch like 2 hours of lore videos when I finished it.

Haven't played Persona 5 Royal (probably never will) but in the original game I loved the first 35 hours, was still entertained but not really amazed for the next 35 hours and then spent the final 35 hours somewhere between mildly entertained and annoyed, often wondering if I should just drop it. The game is just WAAAAY too long and stretched out, and everything good about it eventually becomes boring or monotonous.

Last edited:
Top Bottom