• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollywood Reporter cover story: Cameron and Miller on 'Terminator'(set for July 2019)

Busty

Banned
If I were Paramount the fact that this thread, which was started nearly twelve hours ago, features James Cameron, Tim Miller and the Terminator franchise is still just a single page long should be sending red flags flying all over the lot.

EDIT - Ironically my post made it two pages but you get my point.

I care ☹️

Well, that's one person. You should email Paramount and tell them that, I'm sure they're desperate to hear from you.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
No one cares about a Terminator film directed by the Deadpool helmer.

No one cares about Arnie coming back, yet again.

No one cares about Linda Hamilton coming back.

No one cares about James Cameron being associated with the Terminator franchise.

No one cares about the Terminator franchise full stop.
No one cares because there have been too many bad movies in this franchise now. Keep in mind though that all it needs to get it back on track is 1 good movie. And assuming Cameron is really hands on now again we could very well get another good Terminator movie.

I for one do not really care for the franchise as well any more but assuming they'd be able to set a movie in that bleak and gritty future like it was portrayed in T1 and 2... That would definitely get me excited. Really hope they embrace that R-rating again.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Nothing's wrong with me. Gal Gadot seems like she's pretty cool with that stuff though. Should be asking her fans that question.

Plenty is wrong with you, you cretin. You've sabotaged a thread which has nothing to do with Gal or Israel to what, be a bad ass?

Now we have to drag this shit back to respectability. Unlike Cameron we can do that. But if you could go fuckety bye that'd be appreciated.

The problem with the series is that it moved from Sci-Fi Horror to full blown brainless summer blockbuster flick, The 3rd one and Salvation were enjoyable (Salvation would have been better had they not put a massive spoiler in the trailer - seriously ffs!!!!) and Genysis was just awful.

There is one shining light in the series everone seems to forget:

The Sarah Connor Chronicles. The second Season had some interesting ideas (
The episode with the Terminators going back further in time to stockpile resources, which only lasted 1 episode!
) and it had the best Terminator with Garret Dillahunt as Cromartie / John Henry, and not forgetting Shirley Manson was fantastic as well.

The ending was abrupt, it was clear they ran out of time to continue on, the writers strike didn't help. But it deserves a watch, and I think in this day and age of big budget TV series, The Terminator would actually benefit from it, a couple of stories from before judgement day and after, focusing on other people involved in the resistance, or maybe even from other countries.

Kyoufu

Cameron wasn't involved with T3 because he said he told the story he wanted to tell.

Why is he back now? Just let this shit die.

Lynd7

Joan
Connor.

Half joking.

I think something along those lines could work/is likely. John gets killed, either before the war or during. Sarah survives and years pass, she then comes back to the fight or finds a young woman who she thinks can finally lead?

But, yeah, I dunno. Killing John off probably wouldn't sit well and a bit redundant maybe.

The first two were basically chase films, would we see that yet again as well? How could that be flipped on its head a bit?

I think something along those lines could work/is likely. John gets killed, either before the war or during. Sarah survives and years pass, she then comes back to the fight or finds a young woman who she thinks can finally lead?

But, yeah, I dunno. Killing John off probably wouldn't sit well and a bit redundant maybe.

The first two were basically chase films, would we see that yet again as well? How could that be flipped on its head a bit?

They are chasing the last Terminator this time!

Travo

Also this is super weird, not sure what they are going for.

8wJeIjr.png
terminator_2_p_2013.jpg

The good guys chase Skynet instead of Skynet chasing the Connors!

Can't wait until this movie comes out, is surprisingly quite good, and then everyone shit-talking it now starts complaining about how little money it's making. Like Edge of Tomorrow and Star Trek Beyond.

Busty

Banned
Can't wait until this movie comes out, is surprisingly quite good, and then everyone shit-talking it now starts complaining about how little money it's making. Like Edge of Tomorrow and Star Trek Beyond.

I like how in your 'best case scenario' the film is still only "quite good".

Lynd7

They are chasing the last Terminator this time!

Yeah, that could be fun.

Maybe robots were eventually developed and are about to be put into use, but because of the timeline changing they are actually not the same. But a group led by Sarah oppose the use of using these things due to her knowledge, she goes after the first one to be unveiled to the public.

This could end without her actually succeeding and open the door for this robot to turn bad and start the wheels of judgement day yet again.

I like how in your 'best case scenario' the film is still only "quite good".

I mean I'm not going to get silly and suggest it will be better than T2 or even T1. But yeah, I enjoy movies that are 'quite good,' so this is still in the win column for me.

A potential waste of resources that could be better used in a million different ways.

You should call up Tim Miller and tell him what movie he's allowed to direct then. Apparently he has a million options, so you might want to set aside a lot of time for the phone call.

DeathyBoy

Banned
- More blame to go around. If you are one writer on Transformers your career sudoku for non-Bay type films. But if it's a group of 7, options are open.
- lore synch/building for multiple movies

Terminator having a lore is the problem.

First two films were Halloween with robots. Making it more complex was the problem.

gamz

Why do movies need writers rooms?

Why do TV shows have writers rooms? Its multiple movies to come up with a original concept to hold a trilogy takes writers and ideas. I don't think that's unusual with movies these days having a trilogy arc in mind.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Why do TV shows have writers rooms? Its multiple movies ideas to come up with a original concept to hold a trilogy takes and writers. I don't think that's unusual with movies these days having a trilogy arc in mind.

TV shows are going through thirteen to twenty six episodes of content a year.

I think they need writers rooms a bit more than Terminator, which is a 2hr film released every few years. The idea it takes seven fucking people to plot a Terminator film is absolutely hilarious.

The man did T1 and T2,why don't you give him a chance instead of writing him off from the start?
What do you have to lose? you don't seem to care about the franchise anyway.

It's Cameron in name only plus a writers room plus a different director.

So I think it's okay we're doubting him. Especially given Ridley Scott has full controls of Alien films and fucks it up.

gamz

I think they need writers rooms a bit more than Terminator, which is a 2hr film released every few years. The idea it takes seven fucking people to plot a Terminator film is absolutely hilarious.

So I think it's okay we're doubting him. Especially given Ridley Scott has full controls of Alien films and fucks it up.

Seems easy enough to come up with good Terminator film but they failed to do so 3 times since T2. So dunno...whatever works I guess? Ridley Scott is not Cameron. Scott doesn't have any hand in the writing of Alien series.

As for the writers room Cameron got the concept on his TV show and used it for the 4 Avatar films. Probably liked the results and he's rolling with it in this trilogy.

Ross61

This isn't a single Terminator film. The writers room is for this film and the subsequent others. You typically do a writer's room when you're planning a franchise.

I disagree about letting the Terminator franchise die. It's a rich sandbox to play in that should be revived but Deadpool was not very good and Goyer... is Goyer. So fuck me I guess.

Taker666

They'd be better off moving it to TV again. The Sarah Connor Chronicles was the only decent project to be filmed after Terminator 2.

Thrones is ending..bring Lena Headey back for a reboot.

Number_6

If it's a sequel, it seems Cameron will finally break his own closed loop time travel he established with his films. Crap. I'd rather they let it die.

On the other hand, I hope Ridley breaks his own shitty Deckard is a replicant theory with 2049. Please.

It just seems weird to be pushing a new movie hot on the heels of the last terrible sequel/reboot/reimagining/whatever just three years later. Then I remembered that ASM2 came out in 2014, so why not?

I care ☹️

Same here, friend. Hearing Tim Miller directing and hopefully Cameron's presence looming will reign it all got me excited.

The two biggest reasons why I wanna watch this the fact that both Arnold and Linda are back. I wanna see both of them have one last big send off, something that also redeems Arnold from Genisys.

This franchise needs to find a way to unhitch itself from Schwartzenegger. I honestly think it has an interesting enough lore behind it to stand on its own with a skilled writer and director.
But they've failed numerous times, and their immediate instincts have been to go back to Arnold.

They really should have taken a page from Planet of the Apes. Cutting themselves loose from Charlton Heston amounted to short-term pain for 20th Century Fox but helped to ensure longevity for the series in general.

Top Bottom