• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Home Owners Insurance

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You are paying out of your pocket to rebuild your house. With insurance you pay the deductible and they pay to rebuild your house.
Dumb question.

What if your fire damaged a neighbours house? Their insurance would cover it but would their insurance come after you suing you for costs they paid to repair? Like if you burned down your neighbours house, their company would sue you for $1M?

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
$3600 a fucking year for home insurance!?! Jesus H Capitalist Christ you must live in America, I pay a few hundred pounds a year and I'm basically covered for everything from burst pipes to Alien invasion with no hassles...

Seriously how the fuck y'all survive over there
Because some states are very high risk with natural disasters seriously not that hard to figure it out

Nydius

$3600 a fucking year for home insurance!?! Jesus H Capitalist Christ you must live in America, I pay a few hundred pounds a year and I'm basically covered for everything from burst pipes to Alien invasion with no hassles...

Get a lot of hurricanes over there in the UK? How about tornadoes? Earthquakes or wildfires? Winter avalanches?

Pretty easy for your insurance to be cheap when the only common natural disaster in the UK is flooding. Meanwhile, everything I listed above (plus flooding and more) is a common occurrence across the US and parts of Canada.

If you got hit with hurricanes every year like Florida, or hit with repeated tornadoes like the Midwest and Deep South, your insurance wouldn’t be so cheap.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
maybe if y'all didn't sin so much and give more money to your local prosperity ministries Jesus wouldn't smite you all the time

AJUMP23

Dumb question.

What if your fire damaged a neighbours house? Their insurance would cover it but would their insurance come after you suing you for costs they paid to repair? Like if you burned down your neighbours house, their company would sue you for $1M?

I don't know, but unless you intentionally set the fire on your neighbors house it would be an accident and their insurance should cover it. I think the 2 insurances may come to an understanding, but from what I know, my insurance covers my property and their insurance covers their property.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't know, but unless you intentionally set the fire on your neighbors house it would be an accident and their insurance should cover it. I think the 2 insurances may come to an understanding, but from what I know, my insurance covers my property and their insurance covers their property.
What I meant was someone has zero insurance, but burned down a neighbour's house. They got insurance. But just wondering if your neighbour's insurance would come after you for $1M

Dural

Not everyone pays that much, my home owners insurance is ~$900 for a 2400sqft home with a pool.

deathsaber

I'm an agent. Insurance in Florida is a shitshow and expensive no matter what. I always recommend- find an independant agent (one who isn't owned by the major companies- ie don't go to State Farm or AllState whose agents are beholden to that single company)- they'll have access to numerous companies they should be able to check into and compare for you and offer what looks best.

And if you MUST go the big company route, I'd say State Farm is the most reputable. Allstate- ugh- they are known lowballers when it comes to claim payments. Progressive too. Avoid.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What are you planning?
love the way you lie fire GIF

(kidding)

What I meant was someone has zero insurance, but burned down a neighbour's house. They got insurance. But just wondering if your neighbour's insurance would come after you for $1M
It depends. This isn't a yes or no question. Most insurance companies are required to send you a notice of subrogation and if you receive one, take it to a lawyer.

Nester99

Yes, it’s called subrogation.

The insurance company aggressively goes after the negligent party that cases the claim that the insured has paid out.

I am a broker in Canada.

Top Bottom