• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homemade Revolution Controller

No-one has said that the controller does not use gyroscopes. Nintendo have just not said anything about it. The only technical subject that was touched on was the sensor that is placed near the TV....but just because this was stated does not mean that it does not have gyroscopes. I believe the sensor is only used to sense distance from the TV rather than any of the other movements like tilt and rotation.

Nintendo said you can copy the controller pretty easily...this does not surprise me that someone has tried to make their own revolution controller.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Nice find. Looks like he had a pretty good mock-up. It does bother me that he said it would take a lot of practice to get used to it though. That seems to go against what the media has been saying about it.

ocelittle

Banned
That's because this is a crudely made version...

I'm sure Nintendo's will be very solid and easy to use, I mean...c'mon...it's Nintendo.

Nice!

Nice too:
13712.jpg

http://gamecube.gaming-universe.de/news/kommentare-2953.html

MadOdorMachine said:
Nice find. Looks like he had a pretty good mock-up. It does bother me that he said it would take a lot of practice to get used to it though. That seems to go against what the media has been saying about it.
since he made it I imagine it doesn't have the exact technology that the Nintendo controller will have so some discrepancies should be noted.

hooo

boooy
Except the Rev controller also detects position and is aware of the bounds of the screen. I expect that the real thing does have some sort of gyro inside and it uses the two sensors in the bar along with one in the Rev base unit to triangulate position.

The Rev controller knows what your pointing at, not just the direction you're pointing like the mouse.

WindyMan

That's a pretty nice representation, I must say.

The Revolution controller isn't going to be need to be moved around that much in order to do things like turning around and such. The gyration mouse used there had a button that needed to be pressed to detect when to move, which required the mouse to be reset in the center. Ultimately, that's no different than a regular mouse.

How the Rev controller should work is when you want to look/turn around to the side, you just point the controller off-screen in either direction, and then back onto the screen when pointing in the direction you want to be. All of it can probably be adjustable with sensitivity settings per game, and any decent FPS already has those options in place for thumbsticks.

Top Bottom