• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS5 controller with 12-hour battery life leaked by retailer

The battery was so poor in the DS4, it was basically the equivalent of 1/3 of a decent set of rechargeable AAs. I have no idea what the DualSense had been using or is using now, hopefully they bumped it up there to 2000 mAh+.
But it's better to have it wired rather than put in two rechargeable eneloops from the 4-pack rechargeable batteries you bought at Tesco. That's what they told us before, lmao.

DaGwaphics

But it's better to have it wired rather than put in two rechargeable eneloops from the 4-pack rechargeable batteries you bought at Tesco. That's what they told us before, lmao.

Personally, I just don't like the idea of rechargeable batteries that you can't swap. It puts you in one of two situations:

1). You are constantly charging the battery even when you haven't depleted it, just to be sure it is ready when you want it. This is horrible for the battery in most cases.

2). You charge the controller only when the battery is depleted, meaning you either have to play with a wire or have a second controller on hand.

The battery compartment facilitates the quick swap even if you opt to purchase battery packs.

Personally, I just don't like the idea of rechargeable batteries that you can't swap. It puts you in one of two situations:

1). You are constantly charging the battery even when you haven't depleted it, just to be sure it is ready when you want it. This is horrible for the battery in most cases.

2). You charge the controller only when the battery is depleted, meaning you either have to play with a wire or have a second controller on hand.

The battery compartment facilitates the quick swap even if you opt to purchase battery packs.
But why would you want to have 4 rechargeable AAs that you rotate so that you never have a wired connection? It is better to have a controller which is wired 80% of the playtime. Having a wireless xbox controller is not convenient. /s

Last edited:
Who wants to replace batteries rather than plug the controller into a USB-C? People act like it's incredibly inconvenient. And if you have problem with 5-6hr Dual Sense battery life because you game long sessions, just buy another dual sense for 40$ and have one controller always being charged. You would save money rather than buying this 12 hr battery life controller.
Bought 6 pairs of rechargeable AA cells 4 5 years ago all of them 2700 mah still going strong still give 20+ hours of backup times.
I'll take replaceable batteries over plugging the controller anyday

Top Bottom