• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homer Simpson to go live on "The Simpsons'" May 15 broadcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBadger

East Coast version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM9o6dKpWB0

West Coast version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTTY0f2zI5o

West Coast had better questions.

Oh, there are multiple versions? You're right, the west coast one is better. I only saw the other one before and there were no good questions at all. But of course there has to be the obligatory Donald Trump mention.

The only funny background gag was Bender, though. All the others were so groan worthy...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well, that's amazing.
It's not anything special. You can tell it's canned facial expressions and movements with random animations of other characters to make it look lively.

It's the same technology they used in the 90s when Charles Martinet sat behind a wall with a computerized Mario face that talked to people at that gaming conference.

Here it is:
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/real-time-mario-marios-head

1992. It only took 24 years for The Simpsons to get around to it. South Park could do it if they wanted to. Or Futurama. Or Bob's Burgers. Rick and Morty. Adventure Time. Basically any animated show that uses computer vector animation which is pretty much all of them these days.

It's basically an evolution of the technology Henson uses for its puppets. Except while the input might be similar, switches and dials maybe, the output goes to a computer database of already made expressions as well as voice recognition software that interprets the voice into mouth shapes. The Simpsons could have done this as early as at least the Radioactive Man episode which was the first digital episode, (But the only one for a few years for some reason. Probably costs.) but the software probably needed to catch up.

I'll bet they do a behind the scenes at some point.

Dishwalla

Banned
The problem with the whole thing, aside from the dumb questions, is that they only alotted him three minutes of live air time, but he spent half that time on the opening and closing remarks. Was kind of a waste in that regard.

Think what they should have done was make this a special instead of tacking it onto the end of an episode(which also suffered since it lost a few minutes of story time). The first 15 minutes of the special could've been a short with the family similar to that Maggie daycare one, then give Homer the last 15 minutes to do his live thing.

UberTag

Well alright then, bit weird how the episode about improv didn't seem to actually feature any genuine improv and was jarringly unfunny too.
I think the question selection left a lot to be desired. They really tried to go all-in with the "hey, it's live and we can prove it" angle but this resulted in practically no time to source worthwhile questions (and they even planted some from fellow writers on top of it).

I think the medium was the wrong approach for this gimmick. Instead of tacking on a segment to an episode (thus ensuring it was rushed and unremarkable) they should instead bring this tech on tour with Dan and have him make public appearances (as Homer) doing Q&As at various conventions like ComicCon and Fan Expo. Have him answer questions in character from a crowd for a full-length panel and throw footage of that up on YouTube or something after the fact.

So neat idea... poor in execution. Just like so many modern-day Simpsons scripts.

How would 2d live mocap even work? I need a laymen explanation here.

Sample_of_Style_Too2.JPG

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well, that's pretty awesome. Motion cap tech is getting way better every year, it's amazing the kind of stuff that we're seeing in video games lately.

If this is 2d motion capture, wow, that's insane. If CG, that's okay too.
I explained it. It's just canned animations and an assortment of mouth movements being synced in real-time to Dan's voice. Everything was planned out ahead of time. All Dan had to do is talk and the software did the rest.

At least I'm pretty sure.

obin_gam

The problem with the whole thing, aside from the dumb questions, is that they only alotted him three minutes of live air time, but he spent half that time on the opening and closing remarks. Was kind of a waste in that regard.

Think what they should have done was make this a special instead of tacking it onto the end of an episode(which also suffered since it lost a few minutes of story time). The first 15 minutes of the special could've been a short with the family similar to that Maggie daycare one, then give Homer the last 15 minutes to do his live thing.

Yeah, but Al Jean is a hack and doesnt know what he's doing.

UberTag

I explained it. It's just canned animations and an assortment of mouth movements being synced in real-time to Dan's voice. Everything was planned out ahead of time. All Dan had to do is talk and the software did the rest.

At least I'm pretty sure.
It wasn't even fully automated. They had a modified control dongle to trigger specific pre-set animations on the fly.

CimURaMW0AASdzj.jpg

Random Simpsons characters showing up for unfunny cameos with no rhyme or reason? Choppy aniamtion that gives the effect of a beloved character's corpse being puppeted around for profit?

1251834.gif

It's a new Simpsons episode.
I appreciate they used the George Lucas approach of throwing characters and background elements on the screen hoping it'll make a good scene..

UberTag

It's a new Simpsons episode.
I appreciate they used the George Lucas approach of throwing characters and background elements on the screen hoping it'll make a good scene..
This isn't even the first time they've resorted to that kind of nonsense. Check out the equally unfunny background distractions they churned out when they put out their video to quash the Homer-Marge divorce rumors from their earlier publicity stunt last fall. They think this stuff is hilarious.

Joni

So, what is that? Negative funny?

The episodes are still quite funny, although the humor has modernized for current youth, they just lack heart and consistency. Plots are rushed due to the episodes being shorter, characters had Flanderized a bit too much although they seem to be reversing, and they jump around way too much. Plots are like that episode where they are shopping for a funeral plot for Abe and they end up with a tennis court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom