• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homophobic Pastor's Harlem Church (ATLAH) Up for Public Auction Over Unpaid Debts

Status
Not open for further replies.

massoluk

Banned
https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20...hurch-up-for-public-auction-over-unpaid-debts
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/atlah-church-lgbt-fundraiser_us_56aba730e4b00b033aaee6f5
56abca211a00002d00ab19e1.jpeg

You may have remembered him from the previous hit

Now the Church is up for auction because apparently being nonprofit meant you don't have to pay for utility.
The church that thinks "Jesus would stone homos" is scheduled to be put up for public auction next month because its pastor hasn’t paid his debts.

A state judge ordered Atlah Worldwide Church to be sold at a public foreclosure auction after failing to pay creditors more than $1.02 million, court records show.
The Rev. James Manning said in a phone conversation with DNAinfo New York that the foreclosure was mostly over unpaid water and sewage bills and vowed to fight the order, claiming his church’s tax exempt status means he doesn’t have to pay.

“I assure you, it’s about a water bill and a tax that can’t be levied against this church,” Manning said. “I think it’s a land grab quite frankly.”

Manning said he found out about the public auction last week and was previously unaware that there was a legal case against his church, despite the fact that the case began in September 2009 and his lawyer filed an answer to the complaint a month later.

What Manning didn’t say is that there are nine federal tax liens against him totaling more than $355,000 from as far back as 2002. He also owes New York State more than $28,000 and other creditors more than $30,000, public records show.

To kick it in the teeth, LGBT organization is hoping to take over the church.

A New York state judge has ordered the ATLAH World Missionary Church to be sold at a public foreclosure auction, according to court records cited by DNAinfo New York. The church, which has been known to display messages like "Jesus would stone homos" and "Obama has released the homo demons on the black man" on its billboard, has reportedly amassed debts and tax liens totaling more than $1.02 million.

The Harlem church could prove to be a commodity in Manhattan's cutthroat real estate market. But the Ali Forney Center, an advocacy group dedicated to homeless lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) teens and young adults, hopes that an online fundraiser will help raise $200,000 to secure the property as housing for its clients.

Kinsei

Banned
I really hope the fundraiser is a success. When you take into consideration the history of the building, I think that is the best thing it could become.

Bigotry from the religious black community gets under my skin more than almost anything else, and I'm glad this thread brought this story to my attention. Just donated to the Center and it'll be poetic if they win the property.

Bigotry from the religious black community gets under my skin more than almost anything else, and I'm glad this thread brought this story to my attention. Just donated to the Center and it'll be poetic if they win the property.

Which sucks because as blacks, you would expected them to be emphatic to people who are discriminated against. What is even more sad, in my opinion, is that the justification blacks sometimes use is that they are highly religious. Which is fine, except that religion was also a vehicle used to justify slavery and for many things that were used to harm blacks.

Link

The Autumn Wind
And I'll bet he was one of the critics screaming about the IRS "targeting Patriots." Maybe because those "Patriots" seem to show a pattern of thinking they don't have to pay taxes.

Looked at dudes YouTube page and he supports Donald Trump no less.
Shocker.

LQX

Which sucks because as blacks, you would expected them to be emphatic to people who are discriminated against. What is even more sad, in my opinion, is that the justification blacks sometimes use is that they are highly religious. Which is fine, except that religion was also a vehicle used to justify slavery and for many things that were used to harm blacks.
Everyone should think as one, the world would be better off....

Yeah, when you think of extreme anti-LGBT hatemongering you generally think of Evangelicals as being the biggest culprits (and deservedly so) but Black Protestants aren't much better in terms of having LGBT-friendly attitudes.

bzwvVPA.png

PR_14.09.22_religionPolitics-34.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom