• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gun Violence |OT| - Too sad and shameful to snark about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

This is not intended to replace individual threads about police involved killings and mass shooting incidents, but rather to provide a data collection to allow a more complete perspective of what is becoming more and more of a crisis for both the world as a whole and the United States specifically. Please link to newly created threads in here when new police involved shootings or mass shootings inevitably occur.

Resources:

The Counted by The Guardian
The Counted is a project by the Guardian – and you – working to count the number of people killed by police and other law enforcement agencies in the United States throughout 2015 and 2016, to monitor their demographics and to tell the stories of how they died.
2016 Mass Shootings by Gun Violence Archive
Gun Violence Archive (GVA) is a not for profit corporation formed in 2013 to provide online public access to accurate information about gun-related violence in the United States. GVA will collect and check for accuracy, comprehensive information about gun-related violence in the U.S. and then post and disseminate it online, primarily if not exclusively on this website and summary ledgers at www.facebook.com/gunviolencearchive. It is hoped that this information will inform and assist those engaged in discussions and activities concerning gun violence, including analysis of proposed regulations or legislation relating to gun safety usage.
Mass Shooting Tracker
The current FBI definition of mass murder, commonly accepted by the media as a proxy for “mass gun violence”, is three or more people murdered in one event. We believe this does not capture the whole picture. Many people may survive a shooting based on luck alone. Some may be left with life long disabilities and trauma, but the mainstream definition of mass gun violence does not account for this.

Here at the Mass Shooting Tracker, we count the number of people shot rather than the number people killed because, “shooting” means “people shot”.

For instance, in 2012 Travis Steed and others shot 18 people total. Miraculously, he only killed one. Under the incorrect definition used by the media and the FBI, that event would not be considered a mass shooting! Arguing that 18 people shot during one event is not a mass shooting is absurd.

Our definition is this: a mass shooting is an incident where four or more people are shot in a single shooting spree. This may include the gunman himself, or police shootings of civilians around the gunman.
Mapping Police Violence (analysis of 2015 data, focused on Black victims)
Law enforcement agencies across the country have failed to provide us with even basic information about the lives they have taken. And while the recently signed Death in Custody Reporting Act mandates this data be reported, its unclear whether police departments will actually comply with this mandate and, even if they do decide to report this information, it could be several years before the data is fully collected, compiled and made public.

We cannot wait to know the true scale of police violence against our communities. And in a country where at least three people are killed by police every day, we cannot wait for police departments to provide us with these answers. The maps and charts on this site aim to provide us with the answers we need. They include information on 1,167 known police killings - including 1,067 arrest-related deaths (according to Bureau of Justice Statistics definitions) as well as 100 unintentional, off-duty and/or inmate deaths - that occurred in 2014. They also include information on 1,123 police killings in 2013 and 1,207 in 2015. 93 percent of the killings in our database occurred while a police officer was acting in a law enforcement capacity. Importantly, these data do not include killings by vigilantes or security guards who are not off-duty police officers.
Fatal Encounters
Fatal Encounters is intended to help create a database of all deaths through police interaction in the United States since Jan. 1, 2000.

This site will remain as impartial and data-driven as possible, directed by the theory that Americans should be able to answer some simple questions about the use of deadly force by police: How many people are killed in interactions with law enforcement in the United States of America? Are they increasing? What do those people look like? Can policies and training be modified to have fewer officer-involved shootings and improve outcomes and safety for both officers and citizens?
Killed By Police (raw data spreadsheet)

--------------------------

Partial NeoGAF Thread List (those with posts in the last six months):

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

Hex

Banned
I personally think that police involved should be a separate thread from mass shooting incidents because they attract a different kind of vitriol.

Malyse

I personally think that police involved should be a separate thread from mass shooting incidents because they attract a different kind of vitriol.

My point is to show that gun violence is a major problem in the world; I'm hoping to avoid the kneejerk blue lives matter response by putting it in the perspective of the bigger issue. I mean, theoretically if police weren't in fear of their lives so often then the issue of egregious overly violent escalation should solve itself.

rokkerkory

Thanks OP

Just seeing this makes me really sad in a country that is supposed to be so civilized. I am all for protecting your family, hunting, etc but so many damn loopholes and un-common sense "laws" exist for dangerous people to get fire arms.

Malyse

I got juniored for making this thread. Hypocrisy!

This is a megathread for police violence, be it against people of color during arrest or otherwise. In the past 24 hours we've had three separate threads for separate shootings of (armed and unarmed) black "suspects" as well as a thread for the Cleveland police officer's condemnation of other officers and while it is very tragic, this happens so often that I don't know if having a new thread for every incident is productive. For instance, in 2015, one source estimated that 100 different unarmed black men were shot to death by police, which is almost twice a week. I think there's a lot of great conversation going on that gets lost in all the multiple threads and I also think that updates tend to get buried, so to have an official thread for what is now at the forefront of American consciousness makes a lot of sense. Finally, because it happens so often, it's easy to forget the names and stories of people who have been lost, so this might be a good place to memorialize their names collectively as time goes on.

...sort of a lackluster OP, I admit, but hopefully GAF can help me out with this and we can make a really great thread that honors the victims and does the issue justice. Thanks, GAF.

That was your entire OP. I spent literally 2 fucking hours doing research and pulling links for this OP. I put out effort. You relied on GAF to put out the effort for you. Furthermore, at the very start I specifically state that this is not an attempt to replace all the shooting threads but rather a place to collate all the data. You in fact attempted the opposite and it was an absolutely piss poor thread as a result. You could even come to the conclusion that it was a transparent attempt to downplay the brutality by hiding it away in one single thread. Lastly, it's not like it's the only terrible thread you've made; people typically don't get juniored because they made a single bad thread. The fact that you think the quality of your lackluster post is even remotely comparable to what I've done here is frankly insulting. Get real.

My point is to show that gun violence is a major problem in the world; I'm hoping to avoid the kneejerk blue lives matter response by putting it in the perspective of the bigger issue. I mean, theoretically if police weren't in fear of their lives so often then the issue of egregious overly violent escalation should solve itself.
So much this.

was searching to see if there was a thread on this
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/23/us/sa...ace-murder-charge-in-death-of-good-samaritan/

There was a shooting at a mall in san antonio over the weekend. A "good guy with a gun" tried to intervene was shot and killed for his efforts. Apparently it was a robbery gone bad.

Good Samaritan making sure a mega-insurance company doesn't have to make a payment to a big corporation that tricks people into thinking gems are worth anything. Fucking hell.

Good Samaritan making sure a mega-insurance company doesn't have to make a payment to a big corporation that tricks people into thinking gems are worth anything. Fucking hell.
Six other people were injured.

Perhaps he intervened to stop more people from getting hurt? At which point when he struck one of the robbers they countered and fled, preventing more people from being hurt?

Or perhaps the others injured were a direct cause of the robbers lobbing a hail of gunfire after they had been shot?

There's little information to go on from that article.

Pretty callous to remark about the store no matter which way it went down. You've got multiple robbers with guns in a jewelery store during business hours. They weren't looking for an easy take so I highly doubt the victim's thoughts were to protect merchandise. Show some class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom