• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NC: White "Neighborhood Watch" Vigilante Kills 20 yo Black Man Returning from Party

Status
Not open for further replies.

Movement

In Raleigh, too. RIP Kouren, another innocent life taken.

I have to imagine now how much influence violent rhetoric being spewed around may have on easily influenced, violent white men? Guess we won't know.

Not many details available.

CBS NEWS, better article.

Democracy Now

In Raleigh, North Carolina, a white man who claimed he was on a neighborhood watch shot and killed a 20-year-old African-American man after telling the 911 dispatcher, "We got a bunch of hoodlums out here racing. I’m going outside to secure my neighborhood." Police say Chad Copley shot and killed 20-year-old Kouren-Rodney Bernard Thomas from inside his garage as Thomas was walking home from a party on Sunday. Copley has been charged with first-degree murder. The case recalls the killing of African-American teenager Trayvon Martin by neighborhood watch vigilante George Zimmerman.

The Light

Hope he doesn't get off....guess kinda early to be saying that without more details but still it's sounding like Zimmerman all over again.

Hagi

"I am locked and loaded. I'm going outside to secure my neighbourhood," the man said.

jesus fucking christ

he shot the kid from the safety of his garage with a fucking shotgun now how the hell is that securing his neighbourhood.

Kettch

I wonder if his story will be more or less believable than getting ambushed from the bushes and being told "You're gonna die tonight motherfucker".

We got a bunch of hoodlums out here racing
Chad Copley shot and killed 20-year-old Kouren-Rodney Bernard Thomas from inside his garage as Thomas was walking home from a party on Sunday.
Makes total sense.

Walking while black.

How the fuck do these people think lethal measures can be a solution to street racing in the first place?

Madness

What should be noted is, with BLM, Blue Lives Matter, all lives matter stuff that has taken hold, it pretty much started with the murder of Trayvon by armed civilian Zimmerman. It wasn't cops, it wasn't resisting arrest. It was a person so fearful of a black teen in his neighborhood he followed and stalked him armed and then killed him when they got into a scuffle.

Reminds me of the one older white man who killed his black neighbor teen taking out his trash, the white guy who shot at a group of teens listening to music outside of a supermarket in the parking lot. The Indian grandfather who had the cops called on him because he was just strolling around a neighborhood in Alabama but looked suspicious. It seems being non-white pretty much means criminal not just amongst cops but regular people.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Fucking awful. Shooting through a closed garage door into a group of people? I hope the DA nails this guy.

iammeiam

I wonder if his story will be more or less believable than getting ambushed from the bushes and being told "You're gonna die tonight motherfucker".

Here's the jaw-drop part:

"Mr. Copley never left his house, never left his position of safety, never was in reasonable danger," Bamberg said. "He shot through a closed garage door into a street full of young, innocent people

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
"Mr. Copley never left his house, never left his position of safety, never was in reasonable danger," Bamberg said. "He shot through a closed garage door into a street full of young, innocent people."
What. This guy fired through a closed garage door? Hope he gets locked up for life. He'd certainly be a public danger again.

RS4-

There's absolutely no wiggle room here ...right?

His garage was in the process of being broken into, this courageous white defender of the neighborhood had to stand his ground.

Some neighbours will paint this guy as a gentle human being.

Madness

There's absolutely no wiggle room here ...right?

Depends on the evidence, judge, jury etc. Probably will try to go for manslaughter so easier to convict rather than murder. We're in the age where the onus on the prosecution is huge. OJ, Casey Anthony, Zimmerman etc. Plus look at all the recent deaths. How many lead to actual successful prosecutions. As disheartening and as sad as it is to hear.

Hopefully they have solid forensics working already. Just crazy. They did prosecute the guy who killed the poor boy taking out his garbage so thers is hope justice will be served.

SoulUnison

Banned
"We got a bunch of hoodlums out here racing. I’m going outside to secure my neighborhood."

Secure your neighborhood? Fuck you, you don't live in a warzone.

Dude saw a sliver of a chance to live out his Rambo power fantasy and jumped at it.

Beartruck

This one seems pretty cut and dry. You have a right to protect yourself and your home, but that doesn't extend to fucking sniping people from inside a building. Plus he flat out admitted to the operator his intentions were to kill him.

I bet his defense will be that he didn't intend to kill anyone and was just trying to scare them. The garage door being closed probably gives him the wiggle room to say that he was not aiming at anyone in particular.

Not that I support George Zimmerman, but I feel like this man has even less of case than Zimmerman did! If the details reported in those news articles are accurate, it sounds like he just blind fired into a group of people on public property. That sounds straight up like murder.

Ashby

I’m going outside to secure my neighborhood.

This is such an insidious, uniquely American mentality and you can't just chalk it up to the gun ownership. This shit goes all the way back to the fucking American Revolution.

kirblar

Not that I support George Zimmerman, but I feel like this man has even less of case than Zimmerman did! If the details reported in those news articles are accurate, it sounds like he just blind fired into a group of people on public property. That sounds straight up like murder.
That's because it is murder.

Indelible

I just don't understand how someone can take another person's life like it is nothing, this bastard deserves to rot in prison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom