• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Honest Trailers - Mortal Kombat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathieran

Banned
That was pretty good. The movies are enjoyable for what they are, and despite the lack of gore I feel like they captured the spirit of the game pretty well unlike most video game movies. The movies are a lot of fun to poke fun at. Apparently I don't remember much about the second one, the monster fight at the end didn't look familiar to me at all.

Also, dat theme song. Never gets old

I think it's a bit unfair to put the first film in the same bracket as the second. The first is one of the better videogame films.

lol those rules kill me.

also, kind of amazed at how campy + bloodless these films turned out to be, considering the games were famous for OTT gore. i bet the first film wouldn't have nearly been as successful if it hadn't been PG-13. if they made it now it'd be dour and super serious, and yeah, no incredible techno song.

The first Mortal Kombat movie was legitimately good, imo. Christopher Lambert is still my favorite Raiden. (Even better than he is in the games) Unlike the sequel, the fights felt like they mattered and were mostly entertaining.

I remember being quite upset on how bad they butchered the second film. The first film seemed to actually care about the source material a little bit. Annihilation didn't give a shit at all. Just pointless fighting as they tried to squeeze as much characters in as they could. Story suffered greatly because of it.

"Shang Tsung standing up" got me good. Woke up my 3 year old, haha.

Mortal Kombat is still the most entertaining video game movie ever made. And I don't even like the games. The campiness, music and action just melts together in one awesome pot of greatness. The theme song was never used in the games as far as I know and even still it's such a culture icon for the franchise.

Aiii

So not worth it
Mortal Kombat is still the most entertaining video game movie ever made. And I don't even like the games. The campiness, music and action just melts together in one awesome pot of greatness. The theme song was never used in the games as far as I know and even still it's such a culture icon for the franchise.

The theme song actually doesn't originate from the movies, but from the "soundtrack" to the game, which is amazing early 90s Eurodance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M_Byidl4gQ

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I watched the first one again the other day and still enjoyed it. Sure it's aged very poorly but it's still good fun. That second one though... yeah that movie is and has always been pure trash.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
nmtOBHQ.gif

Wg8ywxk.gif

jsfVHhd.gif

uF9vdmD.gif

xVjC8C0.gif

B93zVRF.gif

Very entertaining and they don't say anything that isn't true.... but it's still unfair to lump the two films together.

Second film is horrible and none of the fights look good.

bebop242

Went to the midnight showing on release day for the first one. They oversold tix and we ended up laying on the floor in front of all the seats in the theatre. One of the most fun movie experiences in my live. The audience was going crazy.

Never bothered with the sequel.

Love the theme song (and soundtrack). Big fan of Praga Khan.

Sephzilla

Too bad Sub-Zero goes out like a chump while Scorpion gets one of the best fights in the movie. Tobias's Scorpion favoritism knows no bounds.

AColdDay

Mortal Kombat was a good movie for what it was trying to be, basically a Mortal Kombat themed Enter The Dragon. It had great music, memorable lines that were both cheesy and charming, a faithfulness to the source material and some pretty good fight scenes.

It was better than it had any right to be, and still a better adaptation of a video game than probably 99% of video game adaptations.

Honestly Mortal Kombat 1 is a fantastic movie. A 90's classic and it makes the games better.

Let's be real, the Mortal Kombat theme alone is more iconic and memorable than any game released after that movie came out.

Aiii

So not worth it
Too bad Sub-Zero goes out like a chump while Scorpion gets one of the best fights in the movie. Tobias's Scorpion favoritism knows no bounds.

Everyone knows Scorpion is infinitely cooler than Sub-Zero ever was and ever will be.

zoukka

The first movie was perfect for a kid of that era. It was flawless.

And as a non-native english speaker I always thought Raiden says "to the emperors asshole" in this scene.

BibiMaghoo

There is no conversation where these two movies should be placed in the same bracket. The first was great for its time. The second was ass even then, and has not improved.

The first is likely the best video game movie ever made.

Honestly Mortal Kombat 1 is a fantastic movie. A 90's classic and it makes the games better.

Let's be real, the Mortal Kombat theme alone is more iconic and memorable than any game released after that movie came out.

i graduated HS in 1999, so pretty much every pep rally following the first movie's release had that theme song in it. it was certified JOCK JAMZ

Garlador

I still unabashedly love the first Mortal Kombat film. Two decades later and it still hasn't been topped as the best video game film (low bar, I know, but MK is still ridiculously entertaining).

I think one thing that helped it - even above the games - was it just had so much personality. The characters may be archetypes, but they're strong ones. I remember Raiden's dark sense of humor, Shang Tsung's scenery-chewing malevolence, Johnny Cage's wise-cracks, Kano's thuggish antics, Liu Kang's insecurities and growing heroism, etc.

Couple that with great visuals (the CG may be dated, but the camera work remains amazing), a great soundtrack, great fight choreography, and it's really just an entertaining film all around.

Far from a great movie but its certainly one of the better video game movies, along with Silent Hill and Warcraft.

Warcraft, Silent Hill and Mortal Kombat are probably my favourite video game movies, but I don't mind some of the others like Prince of Persia and Tomb Raider.

Garlador

that whole album is pure grade A Maple Syrup.
"Whoa, Chinese ninja warrior with a heart so cold...Sub Zero"

So, SOOO good.

"JOHNNY CAGE IS NOT AFRAID TO DIE!"

"The Kombat King!
The best of the best
Just look at Raiden and you cannot rest
I'll jam solid as a rock
He gives a Ka-Boom with a fiendish shock
With powers of electricity
He disappears you cannot see him move
Cause Raiden flies
The superman with Eternal Life."

"Kano... you're the bad guy... but I like you... You're the strongest of them all!"

"Fireball! Flying kick! Fireball! Flying kick! Fireball! Flying kick!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom