• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Honkai Star Rail the new game from Genshin Impact makers will be huge.

Kuranghi

Meryl Streep Doubt GIF

Its turn-based, thats a completely different flavour of jam to Genshin.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
So it's their take on Persona gacha? It will look interesting, if they get better writers than the ones on Genshin Impact.

LordOfChaos

I kind of wish I liked Genshin more reading about other people raving about it. It just seemed like too much grind if you refuse to pay for how much story you got for that grind, and for me the gameplay wasn't too compelling to make up for it. I guess if you see it as a mobile first game that makes sense, but the controls weren't just a freemium BoTW say.

I'll give this a try because it looks nice, but I'm guessing the same gacha issues will apply.

I do wish they didn't have embarrassing waufus on the game icons though 😅

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Haven't played Genshin in months, but looking forward to trying this game out. I'm all up for more turn based stuff and I quite like their visual style.

Aenima

It doesn't really look that huge. Looks like a very simple battle system JRPG. The rest probably identical code to GI with a new art style.
Probably huge in terms of reception. Genshin Impact had 5 million pre-registered users, this one already has double of that.

This one uses turn based battle instead of action battle which should make the game easier to play in mobile devices too.

I loved my time in Genshin, but Mihoyo is very censorship happy. Thers no point in playing a waifu and husbando colector is they all wearing my grandma cloths. Shift Up knows what i like when it comes to waifus.

Last edited:

RCU005

Why can’t they bring Honkai Impact 3rd to consoles? I hated playing it on mobile and I don’t have a PC.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Because Genshin probably made more money in it's first year than Breath of the Wild did in it's lifetime? :p
They making so much money they can easily effort to make one SP game, whey wont because they are greedy as fuck.

Reactions: Isa

Moochi

ZZZ looks better, but I am excited for both. The only games I've ever enjoyed on mobile are Hearthstone and Genshin. Everything else is just incredibly shallow.

nikos

I'm going to give it a shot but I'm kind of over turn based combat. It would have to be really good.

Fbh

Im sure it will be big and make tons of money but jesus that looks like all the worst parts of JRPGs combined into a single game.

Anime waifus, terrible voice acting and writing with awkward pauses and tons upons tons of grinding because underneath it all it's still a shitty F2P Gacha game

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Have been in a few of the beta phases and I have enjoyed my time with it.

As a background: I spent about 18 months playing Genshin daily (on mobile, PC, and console). Star-Rail is a different playing type of game (battle mode), but is in the same universe and I enjoyed the approach to battle and exploring the world.

I do think this will be a very large game for miHoYO (and google/apple/sony).

Last edited:

Aenima

Have been in a few of the beta phases and I have enjoyed my time with it.

As a background: I spent about 18 months playing Genshin daily (on mobile, PC, and console). Star-Rail is a different playing type of game (battle mode), but is in the same universe and I enjoyed the approach to battle and exploring the world.

I do think this will be a very large game for miHoYO (and google/apple/sony).
Hows the exploration in this one? That was my favorite part in Genshin, is that the world was full of secrets, puzzles, and stuff to find. I just dont like much the space setting copared to the mediaval looking from Genshin. So probablly will never gona bother with this one.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Based on the structure of the beta (the areas were doled out in different order depending on the beta phase) you are not always in space. You are on the "Star Rail" but you do your missions in zones that have exploration in areas without a "space theme".

If you liked Genshin, and don't mind Turned Based/Active Time Battles, def check it out. The character designs and animations are really great imo and set it apart from Genshin in terms of quality.

envyzeal

Im sure it will be big and make tons of money but jesus that looks like all the worst parts of JRPGs combined into a single game.

Anime waifus, terrible voice acting and writing with awkward pauses and tons upons tons of grinding because underneath it all it's still a shitty F2P Gacha game

Everything we love

aX9qM4l.jpg

Oh good so now Mihoyo can have 2 games that have each grossed $5 billion. I wouldn't be surprised if Star Rail ends up being even more profitable than Genshin, because Star Rail is turn based and much easier to actually play and enjoy on phones.

I'm part of the problem, I've already pre-registered and preloaded the game.

• Triggered
Reactions: Fuz
And yet they refuse to make one fucking proper SP game......Why?
9a37ebd8952cab6f1e42bcc4287ad09ba8fb4381r4-620-376_00.gif
Genshin is basically played single player, you have to go out of your way to actually co-op. Most people had to co-op early on in the game's life cycle when no one had leveled characters or gear, but these days you can steamroll any of the single player content except the (optional) Abyss with any random characters you start with.

Danjin44

Genshin is basically played single player, you have to go out of your way to actually co-op. Most people had to co-op early on in the game's life cycle when no one had leveled characters or gear, but these days you can steamroll any of the single player content except the (optional) Abyss with any random characters you start with.
If I cant play this game offline then its not single player, we got games like Elden Ring that also have MP modes and yet I can play it completely offline.

I will be interested their games when they decide to make SP only game, until then....
giphy.gif

Last edited:

NanaMiku

I'm willing to try it because it's a turn based RPG. Already preload it. Tried Honkai Impact but got pretty confused with the story. Tried Genshin but not impressed with it (especially after playing BOTW).

I would be excited if its proper SP game and not GaaS, F2P, Gacha or any other online BS.

I'm not asking much here, give me ONE single player game, just one.

one-liz-lemon.gif
Since the beginning, Mihoyo is a mobile game company. They will not make a single player game.

Sure, but my problem with mobile game in general is that the story never end. Even Honkai Impact just finished the story, but turns out it's only the first arc?

Danjin44

Since the beginning, Mihoyo is a mobile game company. They will not make a single player game.
I mean Cygames also did lot of mobile games and if remember correctly Granblue Fantasy started as a mobile game and yet they making Relink which proper game.

NanaMiku

I mean Cygames also did lot of mobile games and if remember correctly Granblue Fantasy started as a mobile game and yet they making Relink which proper game.
Oh yeah, forgot about that. But the main market for Mihoyo is mainland China and Asia though. Mihoyo is really pushing their marketing in SEA. SEA is mostly mobile gamers.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
WEEEEBBBBBSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Danjin44

Oh yeah, forgot about that. But the main market for Mihoyo is mainland China and Asia though. Mihoyo is really pushing their marketing in SEA. SEA is mostly mobile gamers.
I guess but they could if they wanted to.........
shia-la-beouf-just-do-it.gif

Top Bottom