• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hooters Opens First Fast-Casual "Hoots in Chicago Suburbs — Without the Orange Shorts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Hooters Opens First Fast-Casual Hoots in Chicago Suburbs — Without the Orange Shorts

16684272_692870410893855_5862655488387844107_n.0.jpg

Quietly, without tight tank tops or orange shorts in Chicago's suburbs, Hooters has opened up the first of what could be a new chain of fast-casual restaurants. Hoots, which offers counter service and a full bar, is now open in Cicero. The spin-off serves fewer items than the original Hooters, but the menu still centers on the chain's familiar breaded chicken wings.

The food comes in containers that fast-food aficionados would be familiar with, as Hoots is positioning itself to handle massive to-go orders to fill man caves and basements with Buffalo shrimp and buckets of wings for sports-watching and other domestic activities. Domestic draft beer, as well as sangria and margaritas, are also available.

16708406_692870400893856_2496704887628525328_n.jpg

750x422

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-hooters-hoots-cicero-open-0215-biz-20170214-story.html

Hooters' parent company is trying to take advantage of the fastest-growing part of the restaurant industry, called "fast casual," which includes chains like Chipotle and Panera. But opening a new concept is a big risk at a time when growth is stagnant in the restaurant industry as a whole.

Hooters Chief Operations Officer Sal Melilli said Cicero was chosen for the first Hoots because of the strong carry-out business in the Chicago area. Takeout orders can amount to 20 percent of sales or more in some restaurants, Melilli said.

The Hoots menu is composed exclusively of Hooters' best-selling carry-out items, so while it includes the signature wings and chicken sandwiches, there's no burger. Snow crab legs, served by the pound with a side of butter, are there instead. Fried pickles, onion rings and tots are offered on the starters menu, with options like celery and sauces for an extra charge.

The conservative uniform choice was made to be in-line with other fast-casual restaurants, Melilli said.

"In the full-service Hooters, we have the same iconic Hooters girl outfit that we've had for 34 years now," he said. "On this side, because it was limited, it was fast, it was take-away and has servers just like the traditional fast-casual model, the Hoots shirts fit that profile," he said.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This isn't how you do it Hooters. You need to go more extreme and just open up a Hooters strip club.

rainy_day

Love me some lots of tots and hot wings. I just wish they had comfy seats. I could care less about who brings the food.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This isn't a terrible idea. Smaller menu would decrease wait time, and these rebranded locations will probably do better with female customers. Items like the fried pickles have a high profit margin too.

Sanjuro

This isn't a terrible idea. Smaller menu would decrease wait time, and these rebranded locations will probably do better with female customers. Items like the fried pickles have a high profit margin too.

Women go to Hooters to see tits though.

I mean...the funny thing is the entire idea of this is still sexist.

I used to really legitimately love the hooters wings about 7-10 years ago. More than BWW for sure. Then I moved and tried them again after a few years and they were disgusting. So I dunno if they changed, or I changed or it was different in the different locations but that happened.

Nester99

15 years ago a roommate i had loved hooters for whatever reason. I found the wings to be fantastic. fast forward. Wife refuses to go for obvious reasons no matter how much i talk about the food.

I might just get me some wings afterall!

Even though I used to legit like their food, I also never understood why people would go to hooters for the girls either. Just go to the strip club or something. I mean it's nice to look at cute girls if you already like the food, but if all you want is the girls there are much better options.

Sanjuro

Even though I used to legit like their food, I also never understood why people would go to hooters for the girls either. Just go to the strip club or something. I mean it's nice to look at cute girls if you already like the food, but if all you want is the girls there are much better options.

It's harder to bring your family to the strip club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom