• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hope you managed to get a GPU already, price increases

STARSBarry

Gold Member
The 3060 ti already costs 600+ euros in my country.

I guess i will be getting a console this gen.
Unless the manufacturers are scalping the globe this should not effect you if your outside of the USA, as its a US tariff due to the trade war Trump started, as Europe have there own, which haven't changed, there should be no effect for most people globally, just the Yanks.

Last edited:

Myths

Completely fine with a 2080TI, so yea I’m mostly likely going to skip this gen especially if the next wave is sparse.

longdi

Banned
Unless the manufacturers are scalping the globe this should not effect you if your outside of the USA, as its a US tariff due to the trade war Trump started, as Europe have there own, which haven't changed, there should be no effect for most people globally, just the Yanks.

MAGA SAGA? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

regawdless

Banned
So glad that I don't have to deal with all that crap. Bought a 3080 for MSRP on launch and got it a month later. Wasn't fun though.

Really feel for all the people who still weren't able to buy a card. Such a shitty situation.

Mista

Banned
This whole stock shortage fuckery is whats making all this mess. Just wait, don't rush it and definitely don't surrender to the scalper cunts.
So annoying. I follow so many stock alert bots on Discord. The second they share a link and I click on it, everything is already sold out. How the hell are people getting cards???
I managed to snatch one for my mate using those bots. Definitely was lucky but it works at least

llien

RTX3070-8G-EK $729.99

Welp, cheapest 3070 on popular German retailer site is exactly 729 Euro. Hardly surprising.
6800 goes for 849, 6800xt for 949.
3080 is MIA. So is 6900XT.
3090 goes for 1729 though.

All these are actually in stock: 3070, 3090, 6800, 6800XT.

Thank God consoles are not used for crypto.
I doubt crypto has anything to do with this, look at retailer stats.
There is scarcity of GPUs in general, retailers sell less than they used to.

And if you think AMD would sell directly to miners: that is actually DAMAGING to their business, why would they do it???

My take on what is going on:

1) AMD objectively has production shortages, since they've just launched:
a) XSeX APU
b) PS4 APU
c) Zen 3

On top of it, their market share in high end GPU world was non existent.
They are producing chips at TSMC 7nm+, which is already running at full capacity <= clearly, shortages are to be expected here.

NVidia, on the other hand... has nearly entire Samsung 8nm to itself.

Anyhow, at the end of the day, cards are finally in stock, so if people will start voting with their wallets, things could improve.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
Embrace Eurosuffering, Ameribros. High prices across the board because the government want in on that sweet China money. Or money from other sources. Fuck it, just slap 21% extra tax on everything and call it a day.

dave_d

Embrace Eurosuffering, Ameribros. High prices across the board because the government want in on that sweet China money. Or money from other sources. Fuck it, just slap 21% extra tax on everything and call it a day.
You got that backward. Trump wanted a trade war with China so he came up with tariffs. Biden will probably take a bribe or seven and get rid of it.

Last edited:

Mithos

Welcome to pricing in Europe.

us$499 -> €499 (~us$615) to begin with, after this some countries that do not have/use euro have additional price increase.
So a us$499 RTX 3070 (MSRP) is between us$730-1000 depending on what model and brand in my country specifically (Sweden).

Edit:
European prices INCLUDE VAT though and its different in every country. Some have lower VAT other have higher VAT.

Last edited:

manfestival

I was definitely considering getting my hands on a 3080 if my contact got one. I feel less inclined now. My 2080 has been performing just fine. The performance boost woulda been nice but I am not hurting for it.

mrmeh

I tagged out of this round, tried to get a 3080 failed, then failed at getting any of the other new cards ...so went with a cheap AMD 5600XT also going to wait with my Ryzen 3400G until the new CPU's come down in price. It's just a crappy market at the moment with demand significantly outstripping supply of every new silicon product, with Apple also launching their new silicon in macs this year (different node but may have a knock on effect) potentially going to be limited supply for a while.

greencoder

Thank God consoles are not used for crypto.
Also, i was lucky to get 3080fe week after release for 699 and sold watch dogs for 30... So 669. Now looks like I robbed the bank
It will look like Nvidia robbed you by not putting enough VRAM in 3080 when 3080 Super (or whatever with 12-16 GB) for $699 will be released.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It will look like Nvidia robbed you by not putting enough VRAM when 3080 Super for $699 will be released.
I guess so but by the time that 10gb will not be enough, 3080 will be too slow anyway. And it's not like games will stop working or start freezing :p
And if 3080 super is 699... then holy crap

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I was looking to upgrade and then I saw 3060tis going for over 700 euros in my country. I said fuck it, maybe in 2022.
phew, glad I just finished my 5950x / 3090 build yesterday!!

2020-12-31.jpeg

What are your temps under load?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
this is ridiculous. i don't need to upgrade my PC right now but if the prices are still this insane then fuck it i'm just gonna get a console.

Rickyiez

It will look like Nvidia robbed you by not putting enough VRAM in 3080 when 3080 Super (or whatever with 12-16 GB) for $699 will be released.
I legit laugh out loud at this, good luck getting it $699. A 16gb DDR6X 3080 easily goes up to $1000 mark my words.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
What are your temps under load?

3090 with a vmod’d bios for 400watts load: 45 degrees Celsius playing cyberpunk, 52 degrees with synthetic benchmarks. Hitting 2120mhz consistently for core boost with little fluctuation.

5950x ideals at 34 and hits a high of 52 with occt small benchmark. Single core can get into the high 60’s though if it boost super high. Still working on that, will likely change out the block to a new TechN block optimized for the chipper layout of Ryzen.

Water temp idles at 23c, and under full load for hours will get up to 33c before my fan curves kick up to 50% and bring it back down.

The system is dead silent other than a bit of GPU coil whine. Even at 100% those fans sound good

BluRayHiDef

Banned
3090 with a vmod’d bios for 400watts load: 45 degrees Celsius playing cyberpunk, 52 degrees with synthetic benchmarks. Hitting 2120mhz consistently for core boost with little fluctuation.

5950x ideals at 34 and hits a high of 52 with occt small benchmark. Single core can get into the high 60’s though if it boost super high. Still working on that, will likely change out the block to a new TechN block optimized for the chipper layout of Ryzen.

Water temp idles at 23c, and under full load for hours will get up to 33c before my fan curves kick up to 50% and bring it back down.

The system is dead silent other than a bit of GPU coil whine. Even at 100% those fans sound good

Amazing temperatures. Maybe I'll try water cooling for my next build. Do such builds require more maintenance than air-cooled ones?

My air-cooled 3950X [undervolted to 1v] and 3090 hit ~65C and ~75C, respectively, under load and the system is pretty quiet.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Amazing temperatures. Maybe I'll try water cooling for my next build. Do such builds require more maintenance than air-cooled ones?

My air-cooled 3950X [undervolted to 1v] and 3090 hit ~65C and ~75C, respectively, under load and the system is pretty quiet.

The initial build is a lot longer (I used acrylic tubes that I custom bent, took hours) but once it’s done, so long as you use a good fluid (or distilled water + anti corrosive + silver) you can be good for 2-3 years. I enjoy tinkering and cleaning though, so I’ll be tearing it apart every 6 months for a deep cleaning and testing out new loop orientations.

But no, once you have an air tight loop and get things going stabily, you are set for as long as you keep growth out of your loop.

It is way more expensive than air though if you want it to look pretty. The price tag of this build is already way over $4k LOL. But I’m having fun so I don’t care.

Davernos

This is it. Bored and tired of this overpriced nonsense. PC gamer since the late 80s here, going full console this gen. Fuck it.

Haha, the RTX 3080 retails for $1100 here in Sweden, so that's what I paid in December. Way too expensive, but I'm happy I managed to get one.

diffusionx

Gold Member
EVGA can benefit form this big time. They are Taiwanese, right?
I'm no expert on tariffs, but I don't think it matters where the company is headquartered but where the stuff is coming from, all this stuff is put together in China (in the same factories, most likely).

got a galax 3090 LOL. First time ever buying GALAX, but I literally can't afford to be picky. The STRIX was like $700 more expensive hahahahahaha. (asian market)

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
It was only kinda difficult for me to get both a Series X and a PS5 while I haven't even been able to sniff a 3080 much less for this mythical $699 price that doesn't exist anywhere.

It's looking like my 1080ti is just going to have to do until whenever crypto comes down again and Nvidia can make more than a couple cards at a time.

spons

Gold Member
Who is to blame for the shortage travesty anyway? I've read somewhere that it's basically smartphones since every single producer shits out these things on the daily, hogging production line resources for other devices. Is that true?

Top Bottom