• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hopefully Sony drops the “BOOST MODE” for PS5

93xfan

Banned
Look at how Microsoft handles all their Xbox One games on the X. Every game not enhanced by a patch gets access to:

faster loading times.
16x AF
Vsync
A substantial upgrade in processing power.

It would be nice for Sony to implement at least some of this. Yes it takes work, but it’s a lot better than shrugging your shoulders and saying “here’s an optional, slightly enhanced mode that may crash your game. Now test it and see what works”

Last edited:
Look at how Microsoft handles all their Xbox One games on the X. Every game not enhanced by a patch gets access to:

faster loading times.
16x AF
Vsync
A substantial upgrade in processing power.

It would be nice for Sony to implement at least some of this. Yes it takes work, but it’s a lot better than shrugging your shoulders and saying “here’s an optional, slightly enhanced mode that may crash your game. Now test it and see what works”

Boost Mode really caused crashes? I guess I’m lucky to never have experienced that.

I do agree that X handles this area much better than Pro, and MS explained the benefits of the X, overall, more clearly than Sony did. There was a lot of confusion, especially when Pro first launched

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
No. One company put in effort this gen in regards to this issue and the other did not.

Surprised Sony didn’t use the extra headroom to at least enable 16xAF for all games.

Well... and one company put in effort to deliver great exclusive games for the community while the other didn't.
This "effort" game can be played to ways. Depends on which thing you like more (play the classics or play new stuff).

Three

Why would the PS Pro not get access to faster loading times or a substantial upgrade in processing power? The later is the whole point of boost mode. It also does provide a locked framerate in a lot of games that struggled to reach it

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/04/guide_ps4_pro_-_best_boost_mode_games

Unless you mean the processing power upgrade wasn't substantial enough in comparison which would be because the xbox one is weak and the xbox one x came out a year later at $100 more expensive meaning the jump from xbox one to xbox one x is bigger by default.

The loading times are HDD dependent and they do load faster if there is some processing bottleneck to the loading in the game (shown with the some of the games in the list).

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Why would the PS Pro not get access to faster loading times or a substantial upgrade in processing power? The later is the whole point of boost mode. It also does provide a locked framerate in a lot of games that struggled to reach it

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/04/guide_ps4_pro_-_best_boost_mode_games

Unless you mean the processing power upgrade wasn't substantial enough in comparison which would be because the xbox one is weak and the xbox one x came out a year later at $100 more expensive meaning the jump from xbox one to xbox one x is bigger by default.

The loading times are HDD dependent and they do load faster if there is some processing bottleneck to the loading in the game (shown with the some of the games in the list).

The x uses the extra RAM to improve load times on non ehnaced games.

As far as the boost the PS4 pro got, it was much more limited in scope. Wish I could remember all the details, but I remember it being due to Sony wanting it to be fully compatible with minimal effort. This makes sense, but it still pales in comparison to what MS was doing.

93xfan

Banned
Well... and one company put in effort to deliver great exclusive games for the community while the other didn't.
This "effort" game can be played to ways. Depends on which thing you like more (play the classics or play new stuff).

This is without a doubt true. I don’t argue this.

But I’m not asking for Guerilla games or some company like that to stop making games and to devote their time to it. I’d just like Sony to create a specialized team to focus on this.

Didn’t they have a specialized team for PS2 compatibility on PS3 once they took out the PS2 hardware? Something like that.

Shifty

You have a point, OP. Boost mode is a band-aid solution to enhancing titles that were released before the Pro was finalized, and one that could have been avoided with better system design and planning (as per Microsoft's approach).

If anything I'd expect Sony to learn from this with their next-gen offering and build an API that's hardware-agnostic from the get-go if they plan to continue doing mid-generation refreshes.

Not sure if trolling.
Why, because they had the audacity to criticise Playstation? Or because you didn't read the OP? :messenger_winking:

'Exclusive games for the community' and 'this effort game' aren't relevant to whether the systems are implemented well on a technical level.

Unless you're attempting to start a popularity contest and and engender a bunch of playground-tier rabbling over whose toy is best, that is. Please don't.

Pantz

Hope all the consoles offer some enhancements to BC in some way. Natural enhancements to take advantage of the more powerful hardware being the least that they could do.

The sony patents about BC have sounded interesting but I can't really figure out anything from them yet.

sendit

You have a point, OP. Boost mode is a band-aid solution to enhancing titles that were released before the Pro was finalized, and one that could have been avoided with better system design and planning (as per Microsoft's approach).

If anything I'd expect Sony to learn from this with their next-gen offering and build an API that's hardware-agnostic from the get-go if they plan to continue doing mid-generation refreshes.

Why, because they had the audacity to criticise Playstation? Or because you didn't read the OP? :messenger_winking:

'Exclusive games for the community' and 'this effort game' aren't relevant to whether the systems are implemented well on a technical level.

Unless you're attempting to start a popularity contest and and engender a bunch of playground-tier rabbling over whose toy is best, that is. Please don't.

Isn’t it ironic that you suggested Microsoft planned a better system when the Xbox One was horribly designed from the get go. The PS4 Pro came out a year earlier at 100 dollars less. Additionally, the Pro is being better utilized by Sony’s first party as opposed to Microsoft’s efforts with Crackdown 3.

The Xbox One X design is pretty much a carbon copy of the original PS4. Ditching the split memory pool for a unified design.

Three

The x uses the extra RAM to improve load times on non ehnaced games.
If this is the case it's because it has more ram than the gimped original xbox one/S which had slow DDR4 ram and less of it. Where is the extra ram suppose to come from on the pro vs the base? It wouldn't be a case of 'putting in the work and creating a team' as you put it, it would be a case of making a $100 more expensive machine or releasing later to add more ram.

Last edited:

Shifty

Isn’t it ironic that you suggested Microsoft planned a better system when the Xbox One was horribly designed from the get go. The PS4 Pro came out a year earlier at 100 dollars less. Additionally, the Pro is being better utilized by Sony’s first party as opposed to Microsoft’s efforts with Crackdown 3.

The Xbox One X design is pretty much a carbon copy of the original PS4. Ditching the split memory pool for a unified design.
Goodness me, where to start. I guess "lol you ignored my question and went full fanboy" is one place.

For one, I didn't make any claims as to which is the 'best' system overall, particularly not in terms of specs. The vanilla XBO specs sucked at launch and they suck now, but that doesn't stop the platform from being better designed to handle backwards compatibility and non-enhanced titles.

And for two, developer utilisation and value proposition aren't really relevant to what I'm trying to say here, nor to the OP's point, which is "boost mode was a poorly-conceived idea". That's a critique of software design, not a virtue war between the platforms and their respective hardware.

sendit

Goodness me, where to start. I guess "lol you ignored my question and went full fanboy" is one place.

For one, I didn't make any claims as to which is the 'best' system overall, particularly not in terms of specs. The vanilla XBO specs sucked at launch and they suck now, but that doesn't stop the platform from being better designed to handle backwards compatibility and non-enhanced titles.

And for two, developer utilisation and value proposition aren't really relevant to what I'm trying to say here, nor to the OP's point, which is "boost mode was a poorly-conceived idea". That's a critique of software design, not a virtue war between the platforms and their respective hardware.

"better system design and planning (as per Microsoft's approach) "

Possibly use better verbiage if you're trying to get a point across? Additionally, the OP wants Sony to drop Boost Mode because it isn't equivalent to what Xbox One X has. This is almost like saying Microsoft should drop first party exclusives because the 'effort' isn't equivalent . Both software efforts.

I find it funny that it's usually the diehard fans who throw out the 'fanboy' comment.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
"better system design and planning (as per Microsoft's approach) "

Possibly use better verbiage if you're trying to get a point across? Additionally, the OP wants Sony to drop Boost Mode because it isn't equivalent to what Xbox One X has. This is almost like saying Microsoft should drop first party exclusives because the 'effort' isn't equivalent . Both software efforts.

I find it funny that it's usually the diehard fans who throw out the 'fanboy' comment.

You’re putting words in my mouth. Throughout this thread I’ve been clear that I want them to match what Microsoft does, rather than removing options and features.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Throughout this thread I’ve been clear that I want them to match what Microsoft does, rather than removing options and features.

You do understand that if "Boost Mode" ON was the default, and the toggle for turning it off was called "Compatibility Mode" we wouldn't be having this conversation.

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with Sony's more risk-averse approach to compatibility.

93xfan

Banned
You do understand that if "Boost Mode" ON was the default, and the toggle for turning it off was called "Compatibility Mode" we wouldn't be having this conversation.

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with Sony's more risk-averse approach to compatibility.

16x AF and Vsync (at least as an option) are nice to have.

One company mandates boost mode is turned on and always works and the other makes it seem like an afterthought

*And reads nothing below it before posting..*

Not other users fault that you chose to mean something else in thread title and then say something different in your posts while discussing. Why should Sony match anything that MS has done in this gen when what they themselves have been doing is what is keeping them healthy and ahead in the market. MS is trying to do a lot of things except the one thing which people expect for their gaming systems. The boost mode is just a good to have feature for some games on pro and Sony left it at that because majority of gamers are not hardcore performance freaks and are fine with what it does.

Norse

Just imagine Sony exclusives using all that 1X power instead of the pro's boost mode. The mid gen refresh was a first and had the pro and 1X specs been reversed, not one Sony owner would be asking for the boost mode they ended up with. Quit fooling yourself.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
They both have a "boost" mode, just Sony makes it optional for capability. The X does not change the assets or the res, so games like Sunset Overdrive still look like an 900P aliased mes.

93xfan

Banned
Just imagine Sony exclusives using all that 1X power instead of the pro's boost mode. The mid gen refresh was a first and had the pro and 1X specs been reversed, not one Sony owner would be asking for the boost mode they ended up with. Quit fooling yourself.

Agreed. I’m surprised it’s controversial to want Sony to do better with legacy content next gen.

This thread isn’t about exclusives. If some of you want to change the topic of this thread to whatever defends your console of choice, then why shouldn’t I change the subject when I feel like it?

I’d like to talk about how the Pro sounds like a jet engine (I can’t stand mine during some games).

Let’s talk about Sony’s laziness for BC (not even PS1 BC), and justifying making us buy PS2 games we bought last gen a second time just to have trophies.

Extra latency for PS4 games Vs Xbox One. Documented many times. Mega Man 11- 60ms vs 90ms).

No freesync (have this in my original Xbox One).

Lack of cross play.

Censorship.

Lack of a wishlist feature for games (on the console at least)

Controller battery life.

Limited cloud storage for save data.

Syncing trophies.

Two mobile apps and neither can join parties.

Well, maybe Sony will stay the same next gen and we can all be grateful to those defending them. Certainly don’t want any of the above features or for them to try and improve. Just stay the same, Sony. Don’t compete.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I have boost mode on and see zero differences in loading. I thought it was a meme at this point.

Top Bottom