• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horchata: Milk or No Milk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

commedieu

Banned
I enjoyed some great mexican food today. I love mexican food. Mexican food is the best food out there. However, I was met with the worst stomach ache known to man today. Why? It turns out the Horchata was made with half and half+rice milk? Is this something I've missed in all my years of Horchata enjoyment (Decades?) Is the real OG horchata made with Milk as well? Lord, this has crippled me as a member of the lactose intolerant crew. I just called the restaurant to find out, or well verify. When I complimented them on how good their habanero salsa was, and how thorough it was at burning my mouth. He offered me more "milk", referring to the horchata bucket. I thought he was just assuming gringo, and called it milk. But I was wrong, I was so wrong. And I ordered one to begin with.. so why say milk. I downed 2 large horchata cream/milk poisons.

Am I wrong to assume Horchata rarely has actual milk in it? Isn't that sort of the thing with Horchata, is that it is rice milk? It was a hole in the wall in East Los Angeles, so this is why I'm questioning the authenticity of the recipe.

Hip Hop

It can be both, I usually make mine with both.

But it can also be great without.

Also, Horchata is the best drink of all time.

commedieu

Banned
It can be both, I usually make mine with both.

But it can also be great without.

Also, Horchata is the best drink of all time.

..it was..

yeah man, but I tactically pick and choose my battles. Today was a disaster. Hot food, and 2 large damn near half and halfs. But I could still taste the rice so I figured they just did something different, it had a lot of cinnamon too, confusing the taste buds even more. Shock and awe's been happening for about 4 hours now.

akira28

I hate mexican food. so many things I am allergic to. thank god for BBQ.

And then they make a drink out of almonds. Why not just use cyanide?

and brown mole seems designed to cripple me stomach-wise.

Eh, I'm lactose intolerant and I still drink milk. My stomach ain't too happy tho.

Dude.

nlyDgkO.jpg

You don't have to suffer.

commedieu

Banned
Well, thanks for the info. Seems I've just been lucky and haven't hit milk horchata until today.

Its like being betrayed by a lover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom