• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West | Gameplay Reveal Trailer

Insane Metal

Gold Member
GODDAMN

Even with that horrendous YT compression it looks amazing. Damn. Damn damn damn.

Hahaha the dude in the beginning was mad thirsty for that water. He kept chugging and chugging and chugging lol. Going to check out the rest, but I found that part a little funny.

LOL I agree, he was like "gimme this thing goddamn" and Aloy kept taking it back lol.

Last edited:

skneogaf

I do find it strange how good the graphics are on playstation (timed) exclusives.

Phill Spencer really needs to insist on xbox exclusives at least try to keep up graphics wise as only gears, and forza horizon are the same level as playstation exclusives really.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Biggest worry...

They decided to wow everyone with linear cramped level design. (This is the part where we want you to override this mount, so we'll place a mount right next to red grass and we'll have Aloy talk about wanting to override the mount by the red grass).

Doesn't bode well for kick ass open world gameplay.

I love being wrong though so we'll see.

Last edited:
George Costanza No GIF

Fake

Graphically, looks fantastic. Doesn't really seem like gameplay has improved much. Other than the graphics, gotta say I'm a little underwhelmed. Still, does look very pretty.

I not find underwhelmed, still looks amazing too me, but I agree with you about the gameplay. Looks a mix of the same with some BOTW/GoT improvements.

And the melee combats looks the same shit as ever.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I guess i'm the only one who thinks that it doesn't look that much better than HZD 1.Considering PS5 has beast specs compared to PS4 i was expecting much bigger difference between console generations

It's a cross gen game, they need to be able to downgrade it enough to still okay on a base PS4. Considering that limitation it's looking really nice. I still think Ratchet & Clank looks better personally - and it not having that limitation helps.

Brilliance in motion; IQ is very very good, love the use and saturation of colors and the fact while there's a lot of photorealism present it's still of course stylized to a good degree that fits. The level of geometric density is insane, physics on the clothes, hair, foliage etc. is very good and the crispness of textures is tight.

For 2021 releases this and Rachet & Clank: Rift Apart are easily the best-looking games on the way, hands down. Depending on how FS 2020 translates to console that could also join the list but that's still a curiosity ATM, meanwhile Horizon and Rift Apart we've seen running on PS5 (well, captured running on PS5) directly.

The game looks primed for success and the most insane part is, this is a cross-gen title! And it looks this great regardless. Shows the incredible level of talent over at GG.

Kokoloko85

Looks good. Human and Melee combat looks better.
I like the Gliding and hook shot kinda thing.
Swimming looks cool

Combat was always good, just hoping they improve the NPC’s and open world a bit

Was gonna buy anyone cause I enjoyed the first one, this one looks better

Shame no release date. Hoping they didnt do this show and not do an E3ish show

Last edited:
Looks delicious on my crappy phone, but I do not have a working PC right now to watch the 4K version. The animations and the melee are quite a bit better, which is great. The whole visual presentation is impressive, no doubt, but you can spot the PS4 legacy in the lack of interactions with the surroundings, mainly. It still feels a bit static, despite the obvious better art and graphical tech.
No release date though...A bummer...

Derift

Biggest worry...

They decided to wow everyone with linear cramped level design. (This is the part where we want you to override this mount, so we'll place a mount right next to red grass and we'll have Aloy talk about wanting to override the mount by the red grass).

Doesn't bode well for kick ass open world gameplay.

I love being wrong though so we'll see.
why would this worry you... this is a scripted section of the game and they used it to show certain aspects of the game...

xion4360

I love horizon, this looks like more of the same pretty much but im good with that. Graphically it does look amazing but not quite as amazing as the trailer...its much easier to spot things like hair clipping, low resolution post effects and aliasing...the reveal trailer looks incredible everywhere...I guess its expected this is actual gameplay and not a special made trailer.

anyway, im happy to finally see it in action.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
From what I could tell, there's much more fluidity in Aloy's combat. She's a goddamn ninja now. In the first game she was more like a savage, but now she grappling up walls, backflipping off enemies, vaulting high up in the air. I mean it looked kinda like Sekiro!

The enemies were more ferocious and had different attacks both ranged and close combat. The Elephant creature shot lasers, was trying to stomp Aloy, had rush attacks and had the enemies on top trying to shoot her.

As far as traversal, she had everything from the previous game and then some.

I mean what more do you want. The combat looked challenging, felt like there were a lot of options for the player. I don't understand what people were looking for in terms of gameplay. I mean what was undesirable about the gameplay?

Bryank75

Banned
Looks good, but kind of unfun to me? Also it looks 30fps, has it been confirmed yet?

Taking down the big robots in the first one was always great fun for me, I am very excited about the grapple hook and glider now though....should give way more possibilities in combat.

There will be a 60fps mode on PS5 almost guaranteed, the cpu is very capable of that. Probably higher.

Strategize

Looks like Horizon, but better in everyway on the gameplay and technical fronts. The traversal in particular needed improving and it looks like they've done it.

Lets just hope the narrative can keep up, they don't have the mystery of the world to fall back on anymore, therefore the characters need to carry now, and the first wasn't good enough on that front.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
From what I could tell, there's much more fluidity in Aloy's combat. She's a goddamn ninja now. In the first game she was more like a savage, but now she grappling up walls, backflipping off enemies, vaulting high up in the air. I mean it looked kinda like Sekiro!

The enemies were more ferocious and had different attacks both ranged and close combat. The Elephant creature shot lasers, was trying to stomp Aloy, had rush attacks and had the enemies on top trying to shoot her.

As far as traversal, she had everything from the previous game and then some.

I mean what more do you want. The combat looked challenging, felt like there were a lot of options for the player. I don't understand what people were looking for in terms of gameplay. I mean what was undesirable about the gameplay?
100%, I don't understand any of the criticism.... but some people will be negative no matter what....

I didn't expect much because it was cross-gen but I was genuinely blown away! I don't say that lightly.

Wasn't the biggest fan of the original and I'm not sure this will get me... but putting my personal feeling of the 1st game aside, you can't objectively look at that footage and not be impressed by the way it looks.

I guess if you're not a fan of the art style, it's not a realistic style, it's a hyper realistic style... but still, it looked pretty damn good.

EDIT: If that's what a cross-gen game looks like... shit, I'll take that any day. Reading through these comments makes me realize that some of you are way too entrenched in the console wars, I'm talking about both sides. This same thing will happen after the Xbox show. Some of you will just never be impressed by anything the other side shows. #hatersgonnahate

The console wars are alive and well. Someone tweeted, "I waited 5 hrs for a 1080p30 game..." and "disappointed, not a lot going on in the game. The HALO Infinite demo from last year looked better" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom