• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Spoiler-free Impressions (for real this time)

Timbuktu

Horizon still can't just be a great game eh? We're gonna need a bingo card soon.

- It's GG, they don't make good games
- it's soul-less, just looks pretty
- Brom, voice acting is terrible
- looks like it plays like Far cry
- Tallnecks unlock map? It's just an Ubisoft tower game
- Doing nothing new
- Games is too short
- Zelda gonna be better, the freedom, I can climb er'thing!!

Every singe time something gets addressed some new concern is brought up. If the game comes out and gets 90+ meta, the new line will be "gaming industry still manufacturing hype"...

You don't need everyone else to agree for you to enjoy the game.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I'm hyped for the game regardless of other's opinions. I'll convince myself I love it even if it's not really all that good ;)

I like to form my own opinions for things regardless of reviews or positive/negative hype. I go into games like I do with movies and I find that I can like games everyone hates and hate games every likes as well as agree with others.

Unless something is universally trashed, this is what I like to do. Saved me from watching the Assasin's Creed movie.

Skux

I didn't know that near-universal positive impressions were cause for concern lol

If it's the "same old same old" of fantastic gameplay and an immersive world to explore then I'll glady have more of that same old.

BigEmil

So far seems pretty good for their first open world WARPG game.

And a brand new IP with interesting unique robot dinosaurs

From what i've read so far, it seems to be pretty good. My only worry is the story. I remember FF XV was getting the same positive impressions as Horizon is now. The story was terrible after the initial opening few hours.

Horizon still can't just be a great game eh? We're gonna need a bingo card soon.

- Doing nothing new
- Games is too short

Every singe time something gets addressed some new concern is brought up. If the game comes out and gets 90+ meta, the new line will be "gaming industry still manufacturing hype"...

The "I'm worried about the story" even after the overhwmingly positive impressions on them is so funny.

Elandyll

Banned
The "I'm worried about the story" even after the overhwmingly positive impressions on them is so funny.
Yeah, the "concern" is real, with the common "it's GG, not willing to give the benefit of doubt", even though we've known for ages that they recruited talent specifically for writing (Gonzalez and also someone from CDPR afaik).

Harmen

From what i've read so far, it seems to be pretty good. My only worry is the story. I remember FF XV was getting the same positive impressions as Horizon is now. The story was terrible after the initial opening few hours.

Really? Because the story of XV was shit and barebones from the get go. If anything, only the last couple of hours are intersting in regards to the FF XV story. That, and the friendship of the main cast was done well troughout the game.

My opinion on XV is quite positive, but I thought everyone agreed the story is barely there troughout most of the game.

He's right though, FFXV had first impressions from journalist that were something like "I played 15hs of FFXV and is not great, it's excellent!".

But then again, many people consider that game excellent even today so, those probably weren't false impressions.

Another thing is that Horizon wasn't stuck for 10 years in development hell.

How is the combat
vs other humans
? As interesting as fighting the mechs?

And does Aloy still chatter incessantly? Can that be turrned off?

The
human combat
isn't as interesting because the AI is rough and not as multi-faceted as the mechs, according to some critics.

EagleEyes

Man I can't believe people have their hands on a copy 2 weeks before release already. Nice to hear the positive impressions so far.

FATALITY

Banned
He's right though, FFXV had first impressions from journalist that were something like "I played 15hs of FFXV and is not great, it's excellent!".

But then again, many people consider that game excellent even today so, those probably weren't false impressions.

I'm not talking about the previews I'm talking about in General. Do you remember the last demo and the e3 gameplay?

And ffxv turn out to be a great game

As a "ffxv" defender (labeled by GAF) impressions were positive Because of the open world portion,the combat and the 4 bros most previews commented on the story barely being there.

I'm not talking about the previews I'm talking about in General. Do you remember the last demo and the e3 gameplay?

As a "ffxv" defender (labeled by GAF) impressions were positive Because of the open world portion,the combat and the 4 bros most previews commented on the story barely being there.

Either way, the game sits at 82 on Metacritic, received a few GotY awards, and a lot of people love it. I hate the game but the reception has been pretty good, so it makes sense to know that the initial impressions were great.

Business

- Doing nothing new
- Games is too short

That's actually a very good summary of the concerns that plage Horizon threads. Props.

I never really understood where the whole "previews are a lie thing came from" more often than not previews line up with the game unless it takes a dive.

Plum

- Doing nothing new
- Games is too short

The Zelda one rubs me the wrong way, saying people only like it because "I can climb er'thing!" in a post decrying simple, base arguments is highly hypocritical. It's like if I went into a BotW thread and talked about people going "Horizon gonna be better, the graphics, the robo dinosaurs!"

"because no mans sky happened and that the order impression from shinobi was positive everything is suspect and trash until proven otherwise"
The order and nms are always the ones brought up the most yea. The order has this weird revisionist history thing because aside from shinobi and maybe a few others impressions were really mixed. And nms well we all know what happened
The Zelda one rubs me the wrong way, saying people only like it because "I can climb er'thing!" in a post decrying simple, base arguments is highly hypocritical. It's like if I went into a BotW thread and talked about people going "Horizon gonna be better, the graphics, the robo dinosaurs!"
He used that one for a reason that's what is said the most

So I'm playing on very hard and I read that resources are harder to come by so I am hoping that some of you playing on lesser difficulty can answer me the question of how much stuff you get per kill. I normally get like 1-3 shards a kill on top of other loot. When I get led herbs it filled a small piece of the bar, it will take like 10-15 herbs to fill the whole thing up. Getting hit by the enemies in the first area takes two whole bars of health. Is there a video out there that shows players gathering stuff so I can directly compare?

Plum

Glad to hear that the impressions are positive, not getting it on Launch day because of the Ni-Oh/Zelda/Persona 5/University Revision quadruple whammy in those months but I'll definitely get it to play over the Summer.

He used that one for a reason that's what is said the most

In Youtube comments maybe but on GAF not so much. Saying people only prefer Zelda because "I can climb er'thing" is massively reductive and needless in my opinion.

That's actually a very good summary of the concerns that plage Horizon threads. Props.

Yeah and as positive impressions are starting to appear, the people saying those things are starting to look even more desperate, with each new excuse, as to why they think the game is bad, it's pretty sad really.

Glad to hear that the impressions are positive, not getting it on Launch day because of the Ni-Oh/Zelda/Persona 5/University Revision quadruple whammy in those months but I'll definitely get it to play over the Summer.

In Youtube comments maybe but on GAF not so much. Saying people only prefer Zelda because "I can climb er'thing" is massively reductive and needless in my opinion.
Like we don't get those here. Going into a Horizon thread to talk about Zelda and vice versa is needless.
Of course. I'm just having some fun, I'm convinced half the people in review and preview threads aren't even interested in the mentioned games.
O for sure

Plum

Like we don't get those here. Going into a Horizon thread to talk about Zelda and vice versa is needless.

Then we agree, Omnistalgic bringing up Zelda out of nowhere is needless. Go against bullshit arguments all you want, many I agree with, but no need to imply other people are dumb (with the whole er'thing and "the freedom" bits) just because of their preferences.

So I'm playing on very hard and I read that resources are harder to come by so I am hoping that some of you playing on lesser difficulty can answer me the question of how much stuff you get per kill. I normally get like 1-3 shards a kill on top of other loot. When I get led herbs it filled a small piece of the bar, it will take like 10-15 herbs to fill the whole thing up. Getting hit by the enemies in the first area takes two whole bars of health. Is there a video out there that shows players gathering stuff so I can directly compare?

Just on a related note: how are you enjoying very hard? Seems good for a first time as a mix between good challenge vs. not feeling unfair?

vivekTO

you can ask in the spoiler thread , musician just posted some more impressions.

Plum

There was a preview that did it..In this very thread that's what his joke was about
Had a whole list of stuff on there and you chose to get upset only about Zelda

That makes it worse actually. Just saw the post and it seems like a reasonable criticism based on their own personal preferences. What's wrong with it, and why did their intelligence need to be insulted like that?

- Doing nothing new
- Games is too short

it's weird how much you're defending a game that you haven't played yet

So this thread went from impressions to someone baselessly saying the game is 30 hours and people taking that as fact and then to someone else who doesn't care about impressions coming in here telling us about how he's ignoring the positive impressions

MtZ9N.gif

Nah man, Zelda can do no wrong, every single Zelda game is GOtG on GAF, even TP and SS, which are not the best Zelda games are drastically overhyped imo.

Climbing up everything is now some super duper amazing thing like the grand theft auto series doesn't exist? The hyperbole in Zelda threads is kinda laughable. Knocking down boulders to kill enemies and fanning flames is just mind blowing all of a sudden?

I think it's gonna be a fantastic game mind you. And i actually prefer a combat focused game versus shooting, so I lean more towards a Zelda play style, but seriously, the comparisons hardly make any sense. Horizon clearly has shooter roots and leans more toward Witcher 3 and games like vanguard. Zelda is an adventure title with breaking weapons and tough enenmies, probably more comparable to Souls at this point with a much heavier emphasis on puzzles.

Top Bottom