• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Spoiler-free Impressions (for real this time)

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Ok I'm jumping in later today!

rLVn2TJ.jpg

Why does Amazon not ship early most of the time?? LOL. I mean.. This disc being out there and being played 11 days early.. sheesh.

Daffy-Duck-Is-a-Nervous-Wreck-Waiting-For-Bad-Things-To-Happen-On-Looney-Tunes.gif

Screw it. After watching some more videos of this, decided to stop waffling on my Switch preorder and finally canceled it and preordered Horizon.

I'll play this and ME:A, then decide whether to get Zelda on Wii U (100% will as long as its close to Switch in performance) or wait until I get a Switch this fall or sometime in 2018.
Smart move budd! I'm right there with ya!

How is the loot in this game, are the items randomized, or is everything pre determined? How much variety is there in armor and weapons?

Elandyll

Banned
There are main quests, side quests, and errands. I did a side quest. It's not essential to the main story.

I really like the side quests. They give more understanding into the politics and lore going on. It adds characters that I like, like TW3. So far they've been pretty interesting. Reminds me of TW3 but I never got very far in that game because I got busy with other stuff.

Mandatory

QONVIyz.gif

Been doing a lot of sidequests.

They don't feel samey like a lot of open world games do, all the ones I've done so far have been different and very fun.

It was mentioned in one of the impressions that that particular user doesn't care whats going on. Let me explain this a bit more from my point of view. So far, the story seems Meh. It's there, but I don't feel like I've been given a huge reason to care unless it leads to some silly twist which from the time i've played I might be able to guess what it is. It may open up more, but its a bit hard for me as a tech guy to get into because I'm sitting saying "wow really that's not how that works"

The dialogue option is really nice, and feels Mass Effect, minus the reactions as in so far if you choose this over that it won't play a major role later. The facial animation looks super odd, as characters tend to jerk a bit around and like one of the other user said they look "dopey"

I'll say this about the intro, it was hard for me to get attached to it because of the animation during chat, and i didn't feel there was much syncing between characters going around like there is after the intro.

Game is massive, and possible the best Graphics i've seen to date. Didn't think something could top Uncharted 4, and this might have, thats taking into account that it's also an open world game. IDK what kind of Wizards Sony keeps hiring but my god.

The crafting System - I Love it. You can do it on the fly, and craft things in the middle of combat. Its quick and easy.

Like others have said, the game drastically needs a lock-on feature, and I feel the running speed should be increased along with dodging because that can become annoying during combat.

It feels like a good Mix of Witcher, Far Cry, Uncharted, and Tomb Raider if I'm honest.

Thanks for the impressions! It seems like Guerrila really did themselves a favour by trying something new. I hope more devs follow suit and try things outside their comfort zone.

Tigress

It's not confirmed yet if side quests count for the percentage or if it's main quests only.

If it's main quests only and going with a linear percentage (which it never really is) would equal a 30 hour main quest only game. Not bad.

yeah, if it was a 30 hour main quest game than that's really good. If it is for the whole game.... :( :( :(. I think I'm going to be very sad if the game is as good as it sounds from what people say and it's only 30 hours total for everything.

Memento

yeah, if it was a 30 hour main quest game than that's really good. If it is for the whole game.... :( :( :(. I think I'm going to be very sad if the game is as good as it sounds from what people say and it's only 30 hours total for everything.

I think it is 30 hours for the main quest

Like others have said, the game drastically needs a lock-on feature, and I feel the running speed should be increased along with dodging because that can become annoying during combat.

Think lock on would have made it too easy .
Since attacking certain parts give you more damage .
Getting in the right space is part of it .

So far from what I understand this game is more of an action adventure with some light RPG elements. Right?

Is there loot hunting/farming? Are there any Monster Hunter kind of elements? Like going after the big machines to get loot and craft from their parts.

Is there an endgame economy/content or after you do the story you just wrap up side quests and trophies?

Also, Is there support for 3D audio like Uncharted 4?

Thanks

So far from what I understand this game is more of an action adventure with some light RPG elements. Right?

Is there loot hunting/farming? Are there any Monster Hunter kind of elements? Like going after the big machines to get loot and craft from their parts.

Is there an endgame economy/content or after you do the story you just wrap up side quests and trophies?

Also, Is there support for 3D audio like Uncharted 4?

Thanks

Wrong. Why do so many people say this?

The Lamp

I've got some cool gameplay recorded I'm gonna upload right now. It's the first encounter with a
tallneck

Catch it on YouTube before the ninjas do.

Reading that some users think the story is great and others that they don't care or don't feel attached to it, I think it's a good thing and that it indicates that there's a developed narrative in the game that some might buy and others don't.

I, for one, think the main story of the Witcher III is quite boring and dull and I often wished the political conflict were the main thing. But through the story you came across some really fantastic quests and characters that completely redeemed the narrative for me.

From impressions I get that the story in Horizon is not the story you get in Far Cry or Shadow of Mordor where actually nothing of consequence happens and you only care about playing around and battling. It seems there's a story that you should invest in and appears to have the quality to catch people's attention. Obviously some people will think the story is not very good like I do on The Witcher III.

Wrong. Why do so many people say this?

I don't mean to discuss semantics. GG can call it whatever they like. I'm trying to make an informed decision on my purchase.

Personally I associate RPG to loot games and to elements like inventory management, min/max, stats, crafting, farming.

I've seen footage of gameplay and I like it a lot. The combat and exploration look solid but I want to know how it all gels with the RPG elements. Will I just hunt the big bad machine to progress the story or will I hunt it 30x because I want to craft a bow that looks bad ass and has crazy good stats?

Another way I look at the RPG vs Action advanture thing is :

+100hrs in does my Aloy look any different than yours?

Yes = RPG
No = Action adventure

I can actually get the game early too like with UC4. But I don't want to pay that early bird premium pricing. It was worth it with UC4. But I got Nioh/Yakuza 0, so not so much with Horizon.

I can actually get the game early too like with UC4. But I don't want to pay that early bird premium pricing. It was worth it with UC4. But I got Nioh/Yakuza 0, so not so much with Horizon.

That's the best seditive in my case, I'm halfway through Nioh right now and have a lot of movies I want to see this weekend and the next. I'll probably finish Nioh completely the next weekend, right before Horizon release. Perfect.

I don't mean to discuss semantics. GG can call it whatever they like. I'm trying to make an informed decision on my purchase.

Personally I associate RPG to loot games and to elements like inventory management, min/max, stats, crafting, farming.

I've seen footage of gameplay and I like it a lot. The combat and exploration look solid but I want to know how it all gels with the RPG elements. Will I just hunt the big bad machine to progress the story or will I hunt it 30x because I want to craft a bow that looks bad ass and has crazy good stats?

Yes = RPG
No = Action adventure
Almost no jrpgs are rpgs then according to this.

Yes = RPG
No = Action adventure

Ridiculous post.... There are hours of previews that answers your questions, a little research goes a long way. Your definition of what an RPG is not one most will agree with, it's silly. According you you The Witcher is not an RPG either.

Reaperssj

I can't get it early but I just finished yakuza 0 (which is amazing) and I am currently obsessed with Nioh all while I impatiently wait for Horizon from amazon.

The Lamp

I have no idea if this is gameplay people have already seen because I didn't watch media for this game in the past year, but here it is. I'm not the most elegant player lol. I even accidentally detonated my own trap. But here's the fun. No real story spoilers. Just a special first type of combat/encounter. Quote.

Papacheeks

Banned

Yes = RPG
No = Action adventure

WTF am i reading?

vivekTO

I have no idea if this is gameplay people have already seen because I didn't watch media for this game in the past year, but here it is. I'm not the most elegant player lol. I even accidentally detonated my own trap. But here's the fun. No real story spoilers. Just a special first type of combat/encounter. Quote.

Thanks!! BTW Nice naming lol!!

Guymelef

I have no idea if this is gameplay people have already seen because I didn't watch media for this game in the past year, but here it is. I'm not the most elegant player lol. I even accidentally detonated my own trap. But here's the fun. Quote.

Oh, the "horse" is there.

Top Bottom