• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Spoiler-free Impressions (for real this time)

c0de

755c98d4_o.png

I think this is the right thread to share it.
Tidux?!

13-14 hours or so. 29% done. I've seen I think 11 robots, Still have a little more than half to go. Well watchers mingle with all. During set missions you get some combination of different ones. In the world they stay in their herds.

Hmm.. Related to your previous post, so you've only came across one cauldron in 14 hours?

How many cauldrons are there actually? The game isn't very long, isn't it?

vivekTO

More from his twitter

14520f6d_o.png

d81768df_o.png

Hmm.. Related to your previous post, so you've only came across one cauldron in 14 hours?

How many cauldrons are there actually? The game isn't very long, isn't it?

Total cauldrons are 5 , the game is 50~ hours without collectibles and other things.

vivekTO

I don't know what you mean tbh. If there are 26 machines, than there would be more than five Cauldron's.

I think cauldron are like machine assembling factories , so more than one machine comes from each cauldron. if you look at the "machine info UI" , each have a mentioned Cauldron type. I hope you getting what i meant. Again this is what i got from current info.

Names are : Psi, Sigma, Rho, Xi, Zeta

I think cauldron are like machine assembling factories , so more than one machine comes from each cauldron. if you look at the "machine info UI" , each have a mentioned Cauldron type. I hope you getting what i meant. Again this is what i got from current info.
I will post some images later about it.

No need to post images, I understand what you mean now.

- I have never liked Guerilla's games. But here they took their best assets - technical sophistication, world building and atmosphere, and found their ideal playground - open world games of course. Even if gameplay is obviously derived from other similar games in the genre, Guerilla has the advantage by simply delivering a majestic, beautiful sci fi world that beckons you to explore it. This is where the studio should focus on from now on. I can't wait to put the game back on again, and this comes from your regular Guerilla naysayer.

They said, they've hired a lot of new people, like quest designers who made individual missions from the linear story. So actually, it is no longer the Guerrilla of the Killzone times.

zkorejo

I have read almost the entire thread and I'm pretty sure there has been no impressions on cauldrons? Or am I wrong?

If someone does post impression on cauldrons then please make sure to be extremely vague about the details. I want to know more about it but I want to be surprise at the same time.

vivekTO

Yeah I did the first and I agree. If they are all the same it will definitely be disappointing. They do look really cool though

First one give you override to horse dino right?
So the last one , Zeta , which was supposed to give you thunderjaw override
, Should be something interesting!!

vivekTO

I have read almost the entire thread and I'm pretty sure there has been no impressions on cauldrons? Or am I wrong?

If someone does post impression on cauldrons then please make sure to be extremely vague about the details. I want to know more about it but I want to be surprise at the same time.

Arstechnica mentined in there preview.

Hmm had no clue this game existed until I saw a commercial yesterday for it and it immediately caught my eye.

Ive got 40 something pages to read through evidently.....unless someone wants to give me a brief rundown!! Please:)

Just Read the very first page, that be sufficient.

GravyButt

Hmm had no clue this game existed until I saw a commercial yesterday for it and it immediately caught my eye.

Ive got 40 something pages to read through evidently.....unless someone wants to give me a brief rundown!! Please:)

Mathieran

Banned

Man I am jealous that you only now just learned that this game existed. It comes out in less than two weeks. It was announced at E3 2015 and I've been waiting since then. It caught my attention even then.

There's tons of stuff on YouTube about it too if you want to see more trailers and there's some previews from an event a couple weeks ago.

The OP has a compilation of most of the impressions though.

Gudji

Do yourself a favor and avoid seeing more trailers. I wish I could do the same.

vivekTO

Are every Tallnecks significantly different? Because the one encounter that was shared in this thread was somewhat uneventful and really simple, but it was the first one.

Each Tallneck has its own environment puzzle/ figuring out the way to climb them.but they are the same Tallneck version.

Somewhat Uneventful and simple?
Yes they don't fight back and just roam there, although it is not clear if there is a way to take them down later in the game.

Charamiwa

Banned
Each Tallneck has its own environment puzzle/ figuring out the way to climb them.but they are the same Tallneck version.

Somewhat Uneventful and simple?
Yes they don't fight back and just roam there, although it is not clear if there is a way to take them down later in the game.

Regarding the somewhat uneventful comment:
from what I gathered you just have to find a place that allows you to jump on it, then swing from pole to pole to the top. It was kinda obvious and scripted. But if it gets harder or you get to fight them later on then obviously that point is moot.

Cartho

Open world RPG, female protagonist who looks abit like that ginger chick from Game of Thrones, ROBOT DINOSAURS, gorgeous post apocalyptic world where nature has reclaimed the planet, ROBOT DINOSAURS, stunning graphics, loot, bows and arrows, traps, dinosaur hunting type mechanics, crafting and ROBOT DINOSAURS.

It also has ROBOT DINOSAURS.

vivekTO

Regarding the somewhat uneventful comment:
from what I gathered you just have to find a place that allows you to jump on it, then swing from pole to pole to the top. It was kinda obvious and scripted. But if it gets harder or you get to fight them later on then obviously that point is moot.

Yes, that is Correct.From the previews and impressions it does looks that way.

Yes, that is Correct.From the previews and impressions it does looks that way.

That's probably all it is but it's still thrilling to see this building sized thing walking around and you need to figure out a place to make the jump. Man if this game came out 10 years ago my head would have exploded, we are getting so used to amazing stuff, like I was walking between the legs of a tallneck and I was thinking how great games are now, crazy.

vivekTO

That's probably all it is but it's still thrilling to see this building sized thing walking around and you need to figure out a place to make the jump. Man if this game came out 10 years ago my head would have exploded, we are getting so used to amazing stuff, like I was walking between the legs of a tallneck and I was thinking how great games are now, crazy.

Well its still impressive for me this day, i was just quoting the "uneventful" thing by the poster.
Personally, I can't wait to see a Tallneck roaming around in FOG and night time.

I see. I was a bit worried about it, but roughly 1 cauldron every 10 hours seems good.

Pretty sure cauldrons are optional, so I don't think they play into the actual story. Well, maybe not the first one but the rest.

I remember reading that in the preview thread I think?

IvorB

There is not much melee in this game....

There is melee but it's not really the focus .
The game more about the projectile weapons and traps .

Melee is like a Side arm, you only got your spear for that.the focus is not on the melle combat in this game.

Regarding shooter comment , yes the bow is responsive and fast similar to some third person shooting games, don't take it as literally though!

Vanquish or Tomb Raider melee didn't have lock-on. This isn't Dark Souls; like the aforementioned games, it's predominantly shooter combat with a melee weapon to do some basic close quarters attacks

Oh well if it's mainly a shooter then fair enough. Didn't like either Vanquish or nuTomb Raider so that doesn't mean much to me :).

Top Bottom