• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror fan community.

Apr 18, 2020
USA
I
The first one combat and level design were far superior than the second one.
However, the second one had better story plot and character development.
It's a shame that we won't see a third entry for this ip
Would also like to add that there may be a third entry - one of my friends who has been right about this kind of thing before said Bethesda threw a bunch of money at Shinji Mikami and told him to make TEW3 and make it "the new RE4." They want to match that success. Apparently they gave him like 5 years to work on it too, starting in 2018 meaning we may see something in the next couple years. Of course we'll get Ghostwire Tokyo first.

Meowzers

Jun 1, 2017
Wales
Anyone watch Sleepaway Camp, The Burning or April Fools Day?

Word up, 80's horror was in a realm of its own. Even lighter tales like Silver Bullet were hella fun.

Reactions: justAjohn

justAjohn

Apr 27, 2020
What about Sinister?? it was a good movie also.
Yes it is. There were some frightening scenes lawnmower etc... and the buildup was also incredible. I also appreciated that there was a plausible plotline reason outside the supernatural for the impetus of the story (bookwriting, the career). It actually featured a bit nuanced characters. The only thing bringing it down for me was the convoluted trigger of the killing.

Word up, 80's horror was in a realm of its own. Even lighter tales like Silver Bullet were hella fun.
I am with you on the Silver Bullet as I watched it quite recently in fact. I also saw Sleepaway Camp. Even though I was aware that there was a twist, I was still caught off guard and the mom was proper creepy, really good. I take it the other two might be good as well, since you mention them together. I´ll give them a spin if the opportunity arises.

Meowzers

Jun 1, 2017
Wales
Yes it is. There were some frightening scenes lawnmower etc... and the buildup was also incredible. I also appreciated that there was a plausible plotline reason outside the supernatural for the impetus of the story (bookwriting, the career). It actually featured a bit nuanced characters. The only thing bringing it down for me was the convoluted trigger of the killing.

I am with you on the Silver Bullet as I watched it quite recently in fact. I also saw Sleepaway Camp. Even though I was aware that there was a twist, I was still caught off guard and the mom was proper creepy, really good. I take it the other two might be good as well, since you mention them together. I´ll give them a spin if the opportunity arises.
Oh no. You should watch them or I'll place a curse upon thee haha.

But yea, they're both good. I know both stories so well yet watch them at halloween every year. And I'm a horror veteran and know the outcome yet these films seem to surprise everyone. Though I'm only 33. I've seen some things maaaaan!

Space Runaway

Sep 5, 2018
Definitely Sleepaway Camp (And it's sequels) along with The Burning. There's just something about the camp setting in slashers that I find strangely appealing. And regarding The Burning, I was always disappointed George Costanza didn't get killed. =P

Joon

Sep 1, 2018
I watched Murder-Rock: Dancing Death (1984) recently and thought it was a lot of fun. It's like a giallo mixed with Flashdance. I didn't know dancing and killing would make such a good fun combo but apparently it does! Just check out the camp of this scene:

I'm working my way through Fulci's work still. The quality of his output is mixed but I love his directing style and the almost psychedelic mood he incorporates.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pejo

justAjohn

Apr 27, 2020
On the topic of Italian horror, I really recommend Alice, Sweet Alice 1976. It is clearly inspired by Italian horror and makes it work, at least for me. I also advise you to not read any summary or spoilers on it.

adamosmaki

Oct 9, 2019
the evil within 1 and 2 are fucking amazing horror games though i kinda prefer 1 atmosphere more than 2 which went open world and kinda ruined that (though the combat was better)

Reactions: Dick Jones
May 3, 2013
I can’t believe I’ve never seen this thread. I cannot wait to get more involved and show you guys my horror short I’m making. Are we allowed to post our instagrams ?

carlosrox

May 19, 2020
I think the creepiest horror movies I've ever seen are

Hereditary - The feeling of dread is palpable. Obviously I saw this as an adult and still genuinely scared the hell out of me. I was creeped out in the dark for like a week after seeing it.

Jacob's Ladder - This movie I saw at around 6 or 7 and straight up scarred me for years, almost into adulthood. It terrified me.

Communion - Grey Alien 👽 NIGHTMARE FUEL. Fucked me as a kid and still manages to creep me out if I think about it late at night.

Don't Go In The House
- I saw this when I was only 5 or 6 years old and the movie is extremely fucked up. I almost consider allowing me to see this at that age as a form of child abuse from my parents lol. Ironically, that is one of the themes in the movie. Truly terrified me as a kid. I was finally able to track it down and rewatch it over 20+ years later and it was even better than I was expecting.

I'm trying to think of others that effected me as much as those.

Kev Kev

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2012
Daytona Beach, FL
man, i forgot how fucked this scene was.

i remember people talking about how this had them crying in the movie theatre lol. it well done though. great effects, great make up, acting was good, the music was cool. i really like this movie a lot honestly. i thought it had a pretty cool ending too. it went in a direction i totally didnt expect but it turned out pretty bad ass. it almost had a texas chainsaw part 2 feel to it

what other really fucked up horror scenes you guys got? what do you think is the worst of all time?

Reactions: Space Runaway

Space Runaway

Sep 5, 2018
man, i forgot how fucked this scene was.

i remember people talking about how this had them crying in the movie theatre lol. it well done though. great effects, great make up, acting was good, the music was cool. i really like this movie a lot honestly. i thought it had a pretty cool ending too. it went in a direction i totally didnt expect but it turned out pretty bad ass. it almost had a texas chainsaw part 2 feel to it

what other really fucked up horror scenes you guys got? what do you think is the worst of all time?
Only saw that movie once but I definitely enjoyed it. I should take the time to watch it again. That and Last House... have this strange scuzzy quality to them that works really well for horror. Shame the sequel was so hilariously bad.

For fucked up horror scenes...The disemboweling/embalming scene from Beyond the Darkness. Pretty realistic looking for 1979 (To the point it was long rumoured to have used a real cadaver) with some pretty intense stuff. One trick that worked was they used closeups of them slicing into real pig skin to simulate slicing into a human corpse and the footage matches up fairly well, making it look quite real.

Movie itself is ok though it sort of "blows its load" in the first half, leaving the second half of the movie feeling really dry. Also a really stupid ending typical of Italian horrors. =P

Last edited:
Reactions: Kev Kev